Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 11:08 AM   #16
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 1000s
Hey, look. I think what schulzmc is asking is that do you have any idea to stop the screensaver, instead of discussing whether the screensaver is necessary. Does anyone have the idea? I also want to know....
Old 06-16-2009, 11:50 AM   #17
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by yingwu View Post
Hey, look. I think what schulzmc is asking is that do you have any idea to stop the screensaver, instead of discussing whether the screensaver is necessary. Does anyone have the idea? I also want to know....
I don't think it's possible. The screensavers are part of the battery saving scheme. Maybe someone will find a way to hack it. Other than that, it's best to let Amazon know what you'd like to see.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:55 AM   #18
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I don't think it's possible. The screensavers are part of the battery saving scheme. Maybe someone will find a way to hack it. Other than that, it's best to let Amazon know what you'd like to see.
At least, we are lucky to have no screensaver in our hardcover books... Thanks very much.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar View Post
I have been studying math books on my DX, very annoying that it goes into sleep mode so fast. I'm used to my sony where the screen stays on for an hour or so.
With the Sony, you can turn off sleep mode so it doesn't go off till you make the display go off or change what's on the display.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:58 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How is the slide show going to save battery as every time the Kindle displays a new image, it's just used some of the battery?
Old 06-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #21
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How is the slide show going to save battery as every time the Kindle displays a new image, it's just used some of the battery?
The *screensaver* now that you mention it does not save the battery but it does signal the Kindle that it can do any indexing it needs to do since the Kindle is not in use.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:04 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The *screensaver* now that you mention it does not save the battery but it does signal the Kindle that it can do any indexing it needs to do since the Kindle is not in use.
How long does it take from a page turn and then doing nothing with the Kindle till the slide show kicks in?
Old 06-16-2009, 12:05 PM   #23
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
How long does it take from a page turn and then doing nothing with the Kindle till the slide show kicks in?
What slide show are you referring to?
Old 06-16-2009, 12:06 PM   #24
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
According to the Manual - sposed to be 10 minutes of inactivity before it kicks in.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:09 PM   #25
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
It's not so much battery life, as disabling the keypad - in sleep mode with the screensaver showing the buttons on the keypad are disabled - so I guess seeing Virginia Woolf on your Kindle tells you to wake it up before you press any keys?
Old 06-16-2009, 12:13 PM   #26
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

It seems the sleep mode is part of the battery saving scheme.

https://kindle.s3.amazonaws.com/Kind...s_Guide_v3.pdf

Quote:
You can leave the Kindle User’s Guide, or any item you are reading, at any time by pressing the Home button. If you are done reading, you can put your Kindle to sleep by sliding and releasing the power button located at the top of your Kindle (you wake up Kindle the same way). Sleeping your Kindle will extend battery life and also lock all of the keys and buttons so you don’t inadvertently press one while not using your Kindle. When your Kindle is asleep, you will see an image on the screen. To turn off your Kindle completely, slide and hold the power switch for four seconds, then
release. The Kindle screen will blank and the device will turn off.
Sleep mode with wireless on allows for software updates to happen automatically.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:19 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

What I would have liked is a small symbol on the status bar to show that the Kindle is in sleep mode. Thus, if say I had a cookbook on the screen or something I wanted for more then 10 minutes I would get it and still know the Kindle was in sleep mode. I can see this being an issue on the DX as it's supposed to be designed for textbooks and many textbooks will need to be open to the same page for more then 10 minutes.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:22 PM   #28
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
What I would have liked is a small symbol on the status bar to show that the Kindle is in sleep mode. Thus, if say I had a cookbook on the screen or something I wanted for more then 10 minutes I would get it and still know the Kindle was in sleep mode. I can see this being an issue on the DX as it's supposed to be designed for textbooks and many textbooks will need to be open to the same page for more then 10 minutes.
Though you don't own a Kindle, I think it would be worth while for you to send that suggestion to Amazon (kindle-feedback@amazon.com).
Old 06-16-2009, 12:27 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Though you don't own a Kindle, I think it would be worth while for you to send that suggestion to Amazon (kindle-feedback@amazon.com).
I shall do that. It cannot do any harm to let Amazon know of a shortcoming that is one of the deal breakers. Might as well let them know of the lackluster PDF support as well at the same time.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #30
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
I shall do that. It cannot do any harm to let Amazon know of a shortcoming that is one of the deal breakers. Might as well let them know of the lackluster PDF support as well at the same time.
Great! Ask about folders while you're at it.
Closed Thread