Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-26-2008, 01:07 PM   #91
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I've taken a look at the files I posted with LlrfViewer.exe and they do not represent what is seen on the device. Using LlrfViewer the images look almost the same. Lrfviewer is cropping off the white space and expanding the image to fit the screen. I wonder if this is the difference between the output of PDFLRF and PDFRead

The SONY Reader software is more accurate in showing what the final image will look like on the PRS-505. However as an aside, I do prefer to read with LrfViewer because it tends to render the images better.
I've attached screen shots of how the images look like on the Reader, I've also downloaded them on my Reader and I can verify that the attached images are more liken to what is seen on the PRS-505

As an aside I know PDFLRF uses lanczos filter to enhance the image. What edge detection algorithm is PDFRead using?

=X=
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vip3_pdflrf.png
Views:	681
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	16587   Click image for larger version

Name:	vip3_pdfread.png
Views:	674
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	16588  
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:46 PM   #92
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I've taken a look at the files I posted with LlrfViewer.exe and they do not represent what is seen on the device. Using LlrfViewer the images look almost the same. Lrfviewer is cropping off the white space and expanding the image to fit the screen. I wonder if this is the difference between the output of PDFLRF and PDFRead

The SONY Reader software is more accurate in showing what the final image will look like on the PRS-505. However as an aside, I do prefer to read with LrfViewer because it tends to render the images better.
I've attached screen shots of how the images look like on the Reader, I've also downloaded them on my Reader and I can verify that the attached images are more liken to what is seen on the PRS-505

As an aside I know PDFLRF uses lanczos filter to enhance the image. What edge detection algorithm is PDFRead using?

=X=
Not edge enhancement, but dilation. It's called 'MinFilter'; I've used it in Adobe Elements (Other/Minimum...) with similar results.

See http://www.pythonware.com/library/pi...magefilter.htm for more information.

The edge enhancement (detection?) is like a 'sharpen' and is based on an algorithm published in 1987. This basically 'cancels' some of the dilation, but makes the text sharper!

p.s. BTW, in those pictures, the PDFRead version looks horrible, but the PDFLRF version wonderful! You're not selling any PDFLRF stock are you?

Last edited by nrapallo; 09-28-2008 at 11:30 PM. Reason: typo
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:55 PM   #93
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Not edge enhancement, but dilation. It's called 'MinFiiter'; I've used it in Adobe Elements with similar results.

See http://www.pythonware.com/library/pi...magefilter.htm for more information.

The edge enhancement (detection?) is like a 'sharpen' and is based on an algorithm published in 1987. This basically 'cancels' some of the dilation, but make the text sharper!
I see. Evey time I've enlarged text in the past, I've typically applied an edge enhance then blurred the images to soften the edges. (which i

... So if I ask nicely would you guys consider adding "Lanczos" filter. Apparently it's in the same library you mentioned above under as 'ANTIALIAS' (in Image.resize()). See the WIKI

Quote:
p.s. BTW, in those pictures, the PDFRead version looks horrible, but the PDFLRF version wonderful! You're not selling any PDFLRF stock are you?
If only I was that clever.

=X=
Old 09-26-2008, 05:31 PM   #94
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
... So if I ask nicely would you guys consider adding "Lanczos" filter. Apparently it's in the same library you mentioned above under as 'ANTIALIAS' (in Image.resize()). See the WIKI
It's already used in PDFRead to resize the image; the problem acheiving the same results as PDFLRF is that it may be used in a different place in the .pdf to .lrf pipeline. Now where to put it...

The PDFLRF source code is not available to assist in this exploration and beyond my expertise to determine where.

Did you try some of the tweaks I had mentioned previously? did they help? how about a different (sized / resolution) .pdf as input?
Old 09-27-2008, 01:16 AM   #95
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
=X=: how did you get your images? I always got feedback that PDFRead was much worse than pdflrf but no one turned up with side-by-side images, and as I don't have a Sony I couldn't verify the differences. Your comparison makes it very clear
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:41 AM   #96
=X=
Wizard

Hmm... I'm not sure what happened to my post yesterday, anyhow

@nick yes I tried some of the settings you mentioned, the dilation did help I also dropped the sharpening. No I did not toy with the size/res. .... How do you change the resolution?

I think if PDFRead crops off the white marges and streches the image, then applies a edge softening algorithm it will be just as good as PDFLRF.

@ ashkulz: It's a screen capture using the SONY Connect software (it is avail for free). This software is pretty close to how the PRS-505 will look. (Only the PRS-505 seems to look slightly better). I hope the images where helpful. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I'd really like this to be the end all app
Old 09-27-2008, 12:08 PM   #97
nrapallo

Quote:
How do you change the resolution?
Sorry, I meant with a totally different .pdf input file that has a different size or resolution. Just to compare...
Old 09-27-2008, 12:44 PM   #98
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Sorry, I meant with a totally different .pdf input file that has a different size or resolution. Just to compare...
Ah OK. I've have in the past. All my experiences have been with simular resultst.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:58 PM   #99
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

=X=: can you post the file here, or point to a file where PDFRead is significantly worse? I'll see where the difference is...
Old 09-27-2008, 02:46 PM   #100
=X=
Wizard

@ashkulz: Sure, I'll post it tonight when I get home.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:04 AM   #101
=X=
Wizard

@ashkulz Here is a link This file is 17MB because it is already and image.

Also this effect is not tied to a specific PDF, it is observed on any given PDF,
=X=
Old 09-28-2008, 12:18 PM   #102
ashkulz
Addict

Do you need to have a Sony installed for the Connect software to work? It doesn't work in WINE or my regular XP VM, so I created a fresh VM and it fails to start even in that. The EXE starts and exits in 1-2 seconds with nothing shown on the screen.

Does someone have an older version that will work without the hardware [I downloaded the version available from the website twice to re-check].
Old 09-28-2008, 06:01 PM   #103
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkulz View Post
Do you need to have a Sony installed for the Connect software to work? It doesn't work in WINE or my regular XP VM, so I created a fresh VM and it fails to start even in that. The EXE starts and exits in 1-2 seconds with nothing shown on the screen.

Does someone have an older version that will work without the hardware [I downloaded the version available from the website twice to re-check].
No hardware is not required. I've also double checked and installed it on a fresh PC. I believe the issue you are having is with the VM software. Sony might be checking for a PC HW config. Do you have the USB enabled on your VM ware ?

=X=
Old 09-28-2008, 06:52 PM   #104
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
i have the sony software running in a vm so its not that.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:10 PM   #105
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkulz View Post
Did you exclude it from DEP?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote