Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #91
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Consider yourself lucky. While I enjoyed a few of the sets along the way, I think I spent too much time (26 books) that could have been spent elsewhere.
Ouch! I'm not sure how many my husband has read, but he pretty much feels the same way. He suggested early on that I steer clear. Nothing has really caught my eye enough to make m want to try him, anyway. Well nothing, except this conversation which triggered my question(s)...
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #92
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
The last two years, I've set and met a 100 book goal. Not so this year. I just took a new job and predict that it will take enough of my time that I am cutting my goal to 50.
Maybe I'll make 100 after all. I just finished my second and am a day or two away from finishing my third.

Most recently read: Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter. Quite a bit better than I expected. A little schmaltzy near the end, but a lovely weaving together of decades and characters.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #93
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Finished book number 2 and started book number 3. A good start to the year's reading.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #94
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Last year, my reading output was atrocious. So this year I'm making it a goal to read at least 40 books. And so far I've read 2! I'm also trying to make a point to read some more of the classics.

Books I've read so far:

Earth Abides by George Stewart
The Giver by Lois Lowry (a short one, I know, but I'm counting it!)
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #95
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Four done, 116 to go. So far I've read three adult urban fantasies and one YA paranormal/urban fantasy, and enjoyed them all moderately to quite a bit.

Not having much luck with my secondary challenge of not increasing my unread books list / avoid acquiring (buying + free) more than ten books a month, as I've bought ten already and January's only a third done...
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #96
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Four read already I have only one read thus far.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #97
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I love looking through the Reading Challenge list as it changes and is updated. Issybird inspired me to pull Purge by Sofi Oksanen up the TBR list. Loosheesh sent me researching Ngaio Marsh's Inspector Alleyn and requesting the series be digitized. I'm looking forward to seeing which civil war books Jersysman reads. Pdurrant inspired me to face the facts about my book purchases. Harry inspired me to put "The Mammoth Book of Locked-Room Mysteries and Impossible Crimes" by Mike Ashley on my wish list (without Pdurrant's wisdom, I would have purchased it today).

These are just the first that come to mind. I've enjoyed everyone's entries and learned something from all. Thanks!

Last edited by BelleZora; 01-13-2013 at 10:21 PM. Reason: spelling
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #98
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Anyone else get addicted to Warhammer 40K novels. I can't get enough of them and they are being published all the time, wonderful reading for as far aas the eyes can see for as long as I care to keep reading.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #99
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Ouch! I'm not sure how many my husband has read, but he pretty much feels the same way. He suggested early on that I steer clear. Nothing has really caught my eye enough to make m want to try him, anyway. Well nothing, except this conversation which triggered my question(s)...
I've read some of Shannara and have liked them. Also, I'm reading Running with the Demon. Good so far. Will finish it tonight or tomorrow.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #100
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
I was flying along doing 350 to 500 pages a day at least. THEN cam Salems Lot. Day 3 and I am still only at 70%. I just do not like it. I did enjoy the mini series as a kid, and it is Stephen King. But it is very slow and I know all the good bits already. Ho Hum, I will finish it.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #101
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
I was flying along doing 350 to 500 pages a day at least. THEN cam Salems Lot. Day 3 and I am still only at 70%. I just do not like it. I did enjoy the mini series as a kid, and it is Stephen King. But it is very slow and I know all the good bits already. Ho Hum, I will finish it.

applesauce
Looks like you have seriously underestimated your reading capacity if your target for this year is only 50 books, and you are already at 11 read half way through January. At this rate you will have hit target by mid-March. What will you do for the rest of the year ?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #102
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Six books done so far - meaning I'm very nicely on track for my 120 book challenge.

Side challenges, i.e. acquiring no more than an average of 10 books a month and keeping my unread books list in Calibre down to under 1000, are not going nearly as successfully. :-/
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:42 PM   #103
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I've got three books read so far, and am in the middle of another one, and am listening to an audiobook, so I'm doing pretty good so far. I'm aiming for 100 (last year I only made it to 81).

What I am noticing from my list is how heavily it is weighted to fiction book series. I really read very few stand-alone novels now, much less than I used to in the past. I don't know if it's because the majority of the writers in the genres I like are writing series because that's the way their book deals are written, or if it's because I like the familiarity of an ongoing story arc sent in a particular story universe.

I also read much less non-fiction than I used to. I wonder if that's because I rarely go to the physical library anymore, so I'm not scanning the "New Non-Fiction" bookshelf and actually being piqued by their titles, and so I'm not really current with what's out there. The non-fiction I tend to read now is usually the result of an interest sparked by a news item or a mention in a novel, that I wind up researching more about online, looking for a recommended book on the topic that way. It's a more premeditated way of reading non-fiction rather than my previous lucky-chance way.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:09 AM   #104
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Looks like you have seriously underestimated your reading capacity if your target for this year is only 50 books, and you are already at 11 read half way through January. At this rate you will have hit target by mid-March. What will you do for the rest of the year ?
I am hoping that is so, but there is a couple of things there. I tend to read tombstones and these where all between 350 and 450 pages and VERY easy reading. Add in I have MS and can lose my ability to read for weeks at a time and my stubborn refusal to finish anything I start. This is made even worse by my reluctance to read what I am not loving can drag a book out for ages when I strike one I do not love.

Annoying bad habits hey

Okay 90% done on Salems Lot so I am going to finish it today YEAH.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:21 AM   #105
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
I am hoping that is so, but there is a couple of things there. I tend to read tombstones and these where all between 350 and 450 pages and VERY easy reading. Add in I have MS and can lose my ability to read for weeks at a time and my stubborn refusal to finish anything I start. This is made even worse by my reluctance to read what I am not loving can drag a book out for ages when I strike one I do not love.

Annoying bad habits hey

Okay 90% done on Salems Lot so I am going to finish it today YEAH.

applesauce
Thanks for explaining, and best of luck with your challenge.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote