Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Do you turn wifi off to save battery?

How much difference does it make?
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I always have it in airplane mode. It does seem to make a difference but I don't know how much.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
psy65
Enthusiast
psy65 doesn't litterpsy65 doesn't litter

Device: kobo touch
me too always in airplane mode and i turn it off when i,m done eading and me neither i don't know if that makes a difference or not hehe
psy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think I'll leave mine in airplane mode too.

As for turning it off completely, my previous ereader - one of the Jinke readers sold by Astak, had no wifi, but turning it off seemed to make no difference. The kobo goes to sleep and I think that's sufficient.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
The kobo goes to sleep and I think that's sufficient.
Testing my Touch in power off versus sleep mode is the difference of 40 days versus 11 days until the battery dies. There's quite a difference.
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
Testing my Touch in power off versus sleep mode is the difference of 40 days versus 11 days until the battery dies. There's quite a difference.

Is this with wifi on or off? Maybe it uses the wifi when asleep?
Old 02-19-2012, 11:05 PM   #7
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Is this with wifi on or off? Maybe it uses the wifi when asleep?
Wi-Fi off. I don't use it at all.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:02 AM   #8
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
Wi-Fi off. I don't use it at all.
OK then. Looks like I'll start turning it off completely. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:48 AM   #9
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
With wifi off kobo can still check if news subscription is available unless that function is turned off. Awards and other social media off eliminates another reason for kobo to turn on wifi. In air plane mode wifi will not be turned on without your ok. I have set auto turn off after set time idle. Seemed soon after it was auto turned off I would often turn kobo back on. Then Kobo would up date data base with can take some time with 2,000 books. Maybe manual turn off is better or less books stored on SD card.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:03 AM   #10
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I have it in airplane mode and I have it set to sleep after 15 mins and power off after 30 mins.
To me it makes a big difference, probably doubles the battery life at least.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:53 AM   #11
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
I have it in airplane mode and I have it set to sleep after 15 mins and power off after 30 mins.
To me it makes a big difference, probably doubles the battery life at least.
That setting for power off, is actually labelled, "power off screen" and I did not think they really mean to power off the whole device. I must test this.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:57 AM   #12
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
With wifi off kobo can still check if news subscription is available unless that function is turned off. .
Not sure what you mean. Mine has no 'Wifi Off' setting that I have found. Just airplane mode.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #13
ltr
Addict

Quote:
Not sure what you mean. Mine has no 'Wifi Off' setting that I have found. Just airplane mode.
He's saying to be sure to have Newspaper subscriptions disabled.

ltr
Old 02-20-2012, 08:04 AM   #14
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
That setting for power off, is actually labelled, "power off screen" and I did not think they really mean to power off the whole device. I must test this.
I dunno, all I know is that if I set it to power off after a while, overall teh battery lasts a lot longer.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #15
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
"Airplane Mode" is just Kobo's very confusing way of saying "Wi-Fi Off". Never saw the point of calling it that, personally.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote