Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-21-2010, 09:16 AM   #46
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Pocketbook has delivered already three readers to the market, unlike the startups who promoted Skiff, QUE and Notion Ink Adam. If they've already set these dates in stone (preorders from September, delivery from October-November) and they've given fanfare to their devices, we have no need to distrust their hardware release times.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:18 AM   #47
scheichxodox
Zealot
scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
most likely they will be more expensive.
In the german board someone from Pocketbook is speaking about around 450 Euro (but definitely under 500 Euro) for the PB 903 and under 400 Euro for PB 902. The PB 603 should be priced under 300 Euro.

Greetz

Scheich Xodox
scheichxodox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #48
librus38
Enthusiast
librus38 began at the beginning.

Device: none
The 9XX models are pretty interesting.
I had select has my preferred choice the Asus DR-900, but this one seems to be a no-show, then a large screen (preferably touchscreen but not definitely a deal -breaker), with a speedy processor, good memory, adequate internal memory and the option to use SD cards (that the Kindle strangely does not have) is my preferred e-reader.
The connection options (wi-fi or 3g) are not indispensable to me.
Let's wait for the release dates and prices for these e-reader...
librus38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #49
jee
Enthusiast
jee began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage eDGe
No way I'm gonna pay €450 for PB 903. I mean, I got a dualbook for less money.
jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:44 PM   #50
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jee View Post
No way I'm gonna pay €450 for PB 903. I mean, I got a dualbook for less money.
enTourage eDGe 599 €
http://www.ebookreaderstore.de/entou...ight-blue.html

Do not confuse the price in the U.S. and in Europe, please ...
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #51
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkosigan View Post
enTourage eDGe 599 €
http://www.ebookreaderstore.de/entou...ight-blue.html

Do not confuse the price in the U.S. and in Europe, please ...
Realize that, assuming that prices in Europe and USA will be converted 1 to 1 (as it's been the case of e.g PB360) the higher the Europrice is, the more incentive there is to buy from the US. Maybe jee's case was exactly that.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:11 PM   #52
jee
Enthusiast
jee began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage eDGe
I got a new Edge for €550 (I live in Europe and had it delivered via a forwarding service), and it can do much more than a PB. I do believe the Pocketbook is seriously overpriced (even at $450).
jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #53
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jee View Post
I got a new Edge for €550 (I live in Europe and had it delivered via a forwarding service), and it can do much more than a PB. I do believe the Pocketbook is seriously overpriced (even at $450).
You said that the pay is less than 450 euros?
Not everyone will buy in the U.S., and pay 100 euros more for the "great features, if, because of the weight of the device much more and the battery is much worse, too, not all will, so to each his own ... And the quality has its price. ..
Old 08-21-2010, 03:17 PM   #54
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The time to talk about price is *after* they're announced. When we know the size, weight, and full specs.

If we *must* talk price now, though, bear in mind that there are *two* baselines to consider:
- Low: Kindle DXG. That's US$379 for a connected 10" eInk reader, 4GB storage, no expansion.
- High: iPad. That's US$499 for WiFi-only/$599 for 3G for 10" color multifunction device with touchscreen.

From there, you start making trades on the consumer value of eink vs color LCD, weeks of battery life vs one-day charge, and the value of apps and widgets.

For the 901 (unfortunately no longer an option for consumers), which had been announced for around US$350 (90% KDX price) this was a clear trade-off; lighter, smaller, SD expandability and PB software platform vs Kindle Plaform and connectivity and Pearl screen. Not a bad deal. Eagerly awaited.

902/903? they look to be the same general size as KDGX. No Pearl screen.

- 902 offers WiFi and bluetooth, SD expandability, PB Software platform. Value? comparable to KDX. Price had better be within 10% of KDXG and safely under iPad territory. Risk? KDXG is *not* going to be US$379 forever. It is easy to see KDXG hitting US$299 by next spring at the latest.

- 903 adds touchscreen and 3G. Added price would be expected. Perhaps as much as another US$100. And that would bring it within iPad pricing range. Anybody willing to pay extra for a touchscreen might just be willing to pay extra for color. This is dangerous territory; the probability of volume sales declines with increasing price. Quality sells, but quality sells *less* than value.

In auto terms: Lexus/cadillac vs Honda.

Current Pocketbook models are priced Honda-like; not price leaders but with careful mix of features and a good value proposition. Adding features and adding cost brings risk of adding more cost than value.

I'll reserve judgment until I see the pricing.

But at this point I just might be more interested in the Pocketbook IQ (if it does come with Pocketbook software) than the 902/903.

We'll see, I guess.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #55
Forkosigan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The time to talk about price is *after* they're announced. When we know the size, weight, and full specs.

If we *must* talk price now, though, bear in mind that there are *two* baselines to consider:
- Low: Kindle DXG. That's US$379 for a connected 10" eInk reader, 4GB storage, no expansion.
- High: iPad. That's US$499 for WiFi-only/$599 for 3G for 10" color multifunction device with touchscreen.

From there, you start making trades on the consumer value of eink vs color LCD, weeks of battery life vs one-day charge, and the value of apps and widgets.

For the 901 (unfortunately no longer an option for consumers), which had been announced for around US$350 (90% KDX price) this was a clear trade-off; lighter, smaller, SD expandability and PB software platform vs Kindle Plaform and connectivity and Pearl screen. Not a bad deal. Eagerly awaited.

902/903? they look to be the same general size as KDGX. No Pearl screen.

- 902 offers WiFi and bluetooth, SD expandability, PB Software platform. Value? comparable to KDX. Price had better be within 10% of KDXG and safely under iPad territory. Risk? KDXG is *not* going to be US$379 forever. It is easy to see KDXG hitting US$299 by next spring at the latest.

- 903 adds touchscreen and 3G. Added price would be expected. Perhaps as much as another US$100. And that would bring it within iPad pricing range. Anybody willing to pay extra for a touchscreen might just be willing to pay extra for color. This is dangerous territory; the probability of volume sales declines with increasing price. Quality sells, but quality sells *less* than value.

In auto terms: Lexus/cadillac vs Honda.

Current Pocketbook models are priced Honda-like; not price leaders but with careful mix of features and a good value proposition. Adding features and adding cost brings risk of adding more cost than value.

I'll reserve judgment until I see the pricing.

But at this point I just might be more interested in the Pocketbook IQ (if it does come with Pocketbook software) than the 902/903.

We'll see, I guess.
Thanks.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:55 AM   #56
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey330 View Post
Oooooh, PocketBook IQ = shiney!

Me want!

Marilyn
That was exactly my thought, too. I'll be waiting patiently for the pricing details.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:28 AM   #57
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Sometimes I wonder if those people who prefer a narrow bezel also usually read with their device in its cover. I prefer to use them without cover, and thus like a wide bezel so I have something to hold on to without straining my hand.
It varies with me whether I use a case or not, but usually with my prs-505 I tend to hold it with my thumb over the page advance and the rest of my hand behind the reader so wide bezels on the sides of a reader would simply make the device less pocketable.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:29 AM   #58
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
The 90x looks like one of the few (only?) alternatives to the DXG.

But, no Pearl screen, yet more expensive than the Kindle DXG, at the same screen size? Hmm..., that's a biggie, and it's not so good.

Why is the the thinking that they will not have a Pearl screen? Shouldn't there be enough supply by November?

Also, how is the keyboard handled for the non-touch screen? Through the directional pad? That would be another drawback.

Finally, that giant logo plaque is butt-ugly.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:32 AM   #59
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Why is the the thinking that they will not have a Pearl screen? Shouldn't there be enough supply by November?
Maybe they can't be sure of supplies with Amazon buying up the stock for the K3 launch so don't want to promise them and have to backtrack.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:54 AM   #60
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Sometimes I wonder if those people who prefer a narrow bezel also usually read with their device in its cover. I prefer to use them without cover, and thus like a wide bezel so I have something to hold on to without straining my hand.
My Opus has a sleeve, but no permanent cover. When I have to hold it (without the sleeve) while I change train in the metro, I wish it had a wider bezel, but for reading it's perfect. I wouldn't want the screen to be smaller, or the device size to be bigger. Size is more important for me than having a large area to hold on to.

I don't know how I would feel about bezel size on a larger device, I'd have to try a few first. But visually, some of these pocketbook models feel wrong to me with their large bezel.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pocketbook