Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #16
iamosam
Enthusiast
iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
...such as ES FileExplorer; you'll need to first go into its Settings to enable root-browsing and mounting-filesystem-writable, before browsing to the target file in /system/app and rename it.
I am unable to open the root explorer in ES file explorer. It fails saying 'this function is not possible in this device'.

After rooting I uninstalled the 'superuser' (or something similar) from the apps list. I am not sure if that is the issue (or how to reinstall it, if so).

Can someone help me, please? Battery currently drains at couple of percentages every hour.

(By the way, the ES explorer settings is mostly white fonts in white background and is very difficult to navigate. Only some of the entries are readable- I wonder if it is something in my system?)
iamosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #17
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamosam View Post
I am unable to open the root explorer in ES file explorer. It fails saying 'this function is not possible in this device'.

After rooting I uninstalled the 'superuser' (or something similar) from the apps list. I am not sure if that is the issue (or how to reinstall it, if so).
To enable root explorer ES file explorer needs to acquire the superuser privilege which is controlled/managed via that app which you had removed.

If you had made a backup before rooting, I'd suggest that you restore to stock from that backup and then re-root.
Quote:
Can someone help me, please? Battery currently drains at couple of percentages every hour.
Try turning off wifi when not accessing the network.

Last edited by livramax; 07-20-2013 at 10:01 PM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2013, 05:46 AM   #18
iamosam
Enthusiast
iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
To enable root explorer ES file explorer needs to acquire the superuser privilege which is controlled/managed via that app which you had removed.

If you had made a backup before rooting, I'd suggest that you restore to stock from that backup and then re-root.
Thank you, that worked.

Quote:
Try turning off wifi when not accessing the network.
I don't use Wifi at all except in very rare cases. Cell standby was taking 75% of the battery. It seems to be okay now with both phone.apk and telephonyprovider.apk renamed. I don't see cell standby anymore in battery usage.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #19
iamosam
Enthusiast

Just so that someone else might be in a similar situation and wondering why battery is draining so fast in NOOK, I thought I will chip in again and add it here.

It seems when you add new ebooks to NOOK, it creates a folder with the cover image of the ebook. I sideloaded 5000 or so books at once to the microSD and the battery was draining at faster rates as NOOK was adding the cover images to that folder.

Once the covers are added and books indexed, battery was normal again. (I had a new card and gone through it again and thats how I noticed it.)
Old 09-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #20
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The Cell standby process uses most of the battery (60%). You have to rename Phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk to kill it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1933615

I also installed an app that forces the device into deep sleep when it's sleeping.

Otherwise battery life was dreadful for me on rooted Nook ST.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #21
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Quick query. Having rooted my nook, what happens if I deregister it and re register as a different user? Does the root vanish?
In my limited experience of 1, the answer is, don't! I rooted with Nook Manager. I wanted to de-register. You can't just de-register. You have to de-register and erase. So I did. From that point on, I was unable to register the device. I got an error screen every time, no matter what I did. I am sure the hacking experts could figure it out, but not me.'

So my advice, don't.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #22
pwnn
Enthusiast
pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
In my limited experience of 1, the answer is, don't! I rooted with Nook Manager. I wanted to de-register. You can't just de-register. You have to de-register and erase. So I did. From that point on, I was unable to register the device. I got an error screen every time, no matter what I did. I am sure the hacking experts could figure it out, but not me.'

So my advice, don't.
Yes, if it's rooted you have to do a factory reset first. I had to do this when my root was a bit wonky. It's a matter of turning the device off and on 6 times. When it's done restoring you can register it again.

http://nookdevs.com/Nook_Simple_Touch_restore_to_stock
pwnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:20 PM   #23
OverByter
OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Simpler factory reset on the NST is to hold the two lower page turn buttons right after switching the device on, keep holding them until you get the confirmation screen asking if you want to reset. Also, I've deregistered, re-registered, rooted, unrooted and rerooted my devices numerous times without a problem. Usually you just deregister the device, reset it to stock, Instead of letting B&N do it I install my backup with Nook manager to return to stock and reroot away!
OB

Last edited by OverByter; 08-24-2014 at 04:07 PM.
OverByter is offline   Reply With Quote