Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-04-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
FrankKau
FrankKau began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Bricked after auto shutdown

Well the 1.4 update was working well. Books that had font problems were working great. When I left the reader, triggering the auto off, I then pushed the on switch to power on. The loading indicator bar got to seven dashes and then hung. Now it's stuck in that state. Resetting with a pin causes it to reload but then it hangs again on the seventh dash. Plugging it into usb affects nothing and the computer won't recognize the device. Three finger salute won't do anything.
FrankKau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
FrankKau

Solved I Hope

Finally the solution below worked, though when I initially tried pressing Menu, Center Button and Pinhole I couldn't get it into Red Dot Mode....just restarted and locked up. My mistake was releasing the other two buttons before releasing the pinhole or releasing them all at once.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89431

Hopefully it won't crash again. I'm glad I resisted the urge to jump up and down on the reader and drop kick it out the window.
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
kyall
kyall began at the beginning.

thank you!

thank for this post. following the recommendations here I finally unbricked my kobo after three days of downtime.

I lost all of my books, including my placeholder in two of them I had started reading, but I do have those backed up at home. I hope to use the "jump to page"

Happy to simply have it working again.
kyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
FrankKau

scratch that......

Well the re-update works, but it seems I am stuck in an infinite loop after all. When I re-update I have full functionality (and none of my books get erased - as other posts suggest) but once I power down either by choice or timeout I'm back with the stalled boot screen.

Urge to stomp and dropkick GROWING!!!!
Old 07-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Haven't forgotten you guys. We're taking note of this thread. If you haven't submit a custcare ticket, please do so, so we can track on our side.

Solutions if the re-upgrade doesn't work are currently to:
1. SD card upgrade or
2. Get a new unit.

Unfortunately we have not been able to reproduce the issue on our side with our own devices, so we have to wait for one of the exchanged items to get to us before we can take a look. We'll keep trying to get to this state on our side in the mean time.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #6
2dare
2dare began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
it seems the trick to getting into red mode is too do menu center button then paper clip. Release paper clip then release the other two buttons. It did me no good of course but i am saying how to get to red dot mode....
2dare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:05 PM   #7
FrankKau

Shutdown issue

Agreed about the red dot solution.

How can you get the sd card? Does it have to be done at Chapters or Coles? I got mine at Walmart Canada.

Do you think Walmart would take it back after more than a month or would we have to mail it back to the company?

Also what about the possibility of either downgrading back to 1.0 or doing something else while the reader is in its temporary working state?
Old 07-05-2010, 09:45 PM   #8
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dare View Post
it seems the trick to getting into red mode is too do menu center button then paper clip. Release paper clip then release the other two buttons. It did me no good of course but i am saying how to get to red dot mode....
yes unfortunately re-upgrading (which requires red-dot mode as you call it) doesn't help all devices in these post-update catatonic states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankKau View Post
Agreed about the red dot solution.

How can you get the sd card? Does it have to be done at Chapters or Coles? I got mine at Walmart Canada.

Do you think Walmart would take it back after more than a month or would we have to mail it back to the company?

Also what about the possibility of either downgrading back to 1.0 or doing something else while the reader is in its temporary working state?
About 120 or so chapters/Indigo stores across Canada will have the SD cards (Not for sale or distribution, but to flash your device right there and then.. even if you bought at Wal-Mart).

However, if you log a ticket with customer care, mention this thread and ask for an SD card, we'll send one out to you.

That said, Wal-mart will, in my experience, exchange just about anything at anytime.. however, they may or may not have units on hand.

So you can just ask for a new unit to be shipped to you from customer care as well. Just make sure you mention that your device is unusable since the upgrade and you've already tried to re-upgrade.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:18 PM   #9
kyall
kyall began at the beginning.

bricked as well after shut down

mine, unfortunately, is also bricked after shut down.

Thankfully was able to get it to the point of at least installing the firmware, which works when the machine is on.

Have re-started my case # and customer support has escalated my case to high priority.

too bad it's failing because I did get partial sense the firmware upgrade was an improvement.
kyall is offline   Reply With Quote