Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 12:02 AM   #1
Jürgen Hubert
Enthusiast
Jürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex 1000S
Benchmarking PDF speeds on ebook readers

I'm curious how well the same PDF works on different PDF-compatible ebook readers. For testing purposes, I recommend uploading this PDF (a tabletop role-playing game book) on your ebook reader and testing how smoothly your pages turn with it - it's one of the most graphics- and layer-intensive PDFs I know and my iRex DR1000S choked on the PDF fairly frequently.

(Note: Yes, the above download link is located at Rapidshare. However, the entire PDF is under a Creative Commons Share-Alike license - as outlined on page 7 of the PDF - and the authors did in fact upload the PDF to P2P sites themselves, so downloading it is entirely legal.)
Jürgen Hubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I had trouble getting that file from rapidshare. I ended up getting it from a torrent. I've split it into a two-part .rar file, so it could be uploaded here. I think dealing with rapidshare and similar things is too much trouble.

It takes about 5-10 seconds to go from one page to another on my Sony 505. The font size is too small for a comfortable read anyway. I didn't spend too long with it.

Were there particular benchmark tests you wanted us to try?
Attached Files
File Type: rar eclipse.part1.rar (17.17 MB, 347 views)
File Type: rar eclipse.part2.rar (13.08 MB, 340 views)
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Astak Pocket Pro

Just as a learning experience with the rar files, I did as you suggested.

Took me a second try to realize you had to combine the two rar files when you unzipped them, but all went well.

My Astak 5" Pocket Pro performed just fine.

After the extensive detailed TOC (which my PP wanted to go to each link, since we can go to links in pdfs) I got to normal pages. It averaged my counting 5 to 6 seconds for most pages. I had to make sure the page completed the loading before I pushed the next page button again, or the PP went ahead and changed pages again.

However, since the file is made up of the individual pdf pages, not reflowed text, even the 9 levels of zoom for the PP would not do anything. Not even the rotate screen allowed the text to get big enough.

Hope this contributes to you benchmark.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdf, speed