Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-12-2015, 10:20 PM   #1
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Does Kindle Voyage still have these problems?

1. Uneven light at the bottom of the screen
2. Occasional reboot for no reason
3. Light can't be turn off completely
4. Screen blinks when you set the device to always refresh at every page
5. Can't DISABLE airplane mode without having to go to setting menu first. Having a toolbar at the top of the screen would be nice.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:27 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
3 is true for the Paperwhite, also, and always has been.
4 is true for all eink devices and always has been
5 most people would want the screen real estate used for the book, I think
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2015, 12:14 AM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Can u go into setting & change #4 to refresh less often? My Touch I had refresh every 5 pages but then I got so cought up in watch for the page turns & refresh That became annoying
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:37 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It certainly should never spontaneously reboot. Mine never has.

There is a slight bottom-to-top fall-off in light intensity, but that's simply because the light is at the bottom edge of the screen. There's no unevenness in it. It doesn't have the shadow cones that the PW1 had.

Last edited by HarryT; 03-13-2015 at 04:55 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:28 AM   #5
bonacker
Connoisseur
bonacker began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD 10, 11th Gen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
5 most people would want the screen real estate used for the book, I think
I agree a toolbar would take up too much space, but I find it annoying that enabling/disabling WiFi requires 4 taps. For something used so often, airplane mode should be a toggling option or at least an option on the drop-down menu of the main page.

I counted eight options I never (or almost never) use on the main page drop-down menu. I only use the browser and settings options regularly.
bonacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2015, 06:46 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonacker View Post
I agree a toolbar would take up too much space, but I find it annoying that enabling/disabling WiFi requires 4 taps. For something used so often, airplane mode should be a toggling option or at least an option on the drop-down menu of the main page.
I guess, though, that different people use different things often. I never turn WiFi on on my Voyage - it's permanently off - hence, for me personally, having it on a top-level menu would be of no benefit. I have a friend who never turns WiFi off on his, so again for him, no benefit.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:23 PM   #7
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I finally decided to never turn off the WiFi, mostly because it was too much work to turn it off, for the small benefit. I just plug it in slightly more often. My cloud collections always sync, and my downloaded books arrive whenever I open the magnetic cover, just because I always leave the WiFi on. BUT it would be nice to have an easier switch (it's too hard to describe to one's mother, across country!).
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:42 AM   #8
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
I never turn WiFi off, and it is no problem, to plug my PW2 in to a mains charger every week or two, when I finish reading for the night.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 04:13 AM   #9
jeffyen
Connoisseur
jeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonacker View Post

I counted eight options I never (or almost never) use on the main page drop-down menu. I only use the browser and settings options regularly.
From business/design point of view, this could be intentional. The wifi being 'on' makes it more likely the reader would buy a new book.

3, 4, 5 are not bugs. I'm also curious about whether the ' uneven colourisation' of the screen is being solved, similar to how Paperwhite 2 solved 1's problem.
jeffyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:38 PM   #10
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I don't see any uneven colorization on mine. Granted, the lights are at the bottom, so there is probably a slight change in the lighting, but I don't see it.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 03:59 PM   #11
AkiraReader
Connoisseur
AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox, Kindles
You forgot the weird yellowing effect on some people's (like me).

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?c...x26ICUHFMKMLD5
AkiraReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 04:05 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I don't think anyone's forgetting it, but the majority of users simply don't see it. I don't see it visually on mine, although if I photograph the screen and analyse the pixel colours I can demonstrate that it is present.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:01 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I leave wireless on all the time because battery lasts plenty long even with it on, and as I switch devices frequently, I need things to sync whenever possible (and I do wikipedia, translate, store etc.). There are plenty of opportunities to charge it so to me it is a waste of effort to turn it off.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:46 AM   #14
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
I don't understand how anyone could say that turning Airplane mode on or off is too much work.
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:11 PM   #15
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Well it is much easier and faster on the older kindles like the K3 where its just a hit on the menu button and then another click with the 5 way to turn wifi on or off.
It has bugged me all the time I have had the Paperwhite, mostly because its battery is so bad that I always had to keep wifi off or I barely made it through a day or a day and a half.

Now with the Voyage, I don't worry anymore. I can finally keep my wifi on and not worry about making it through a day. I get maybe 3 days out of it now. I do read a lot so I look at that as normal for my usage. I can read a book a day so that is why.
Since I like to look up stuff including dictionary and like to just keep my device synced all the time, I am really happy that I can leave wifi on now.

So I guess that takes care of #5 of the OP.

1. the light is even on my Voyage. I have had a really bad paperwhite 1 that had such uneven and splotchy lighting I didn't even use it anymore much. Read on my Fire6 at night. Now I am so happy with my Voyage I don't want to read on anything else. Its even, no dark splotches at the bottom, no diamond shaped light beams, no splotches. Just even.

2. I think my PW might have had a couple of reboots on its own after that big update, none of my other devices ever did. Not my Voyage so far either.

3. Light is not completely off I guess, no clue, I can't see it on the Voyage. I can't even see the lights on the bottom like I could on the Paperwhite. And with the auto light on I don't even think about the light anymore ever. I keep my light on lower then may though, I think inside highest is 10, mostly it hangs at 9. I'll only know when I check as its all automatic. outside it goes up to 14 as I trained it to do that. At night in bed it goes down to 8. And the screen never looks "lit" for lack of better word. It just looks like paper. I never see or notice any glow. I did notice that on my paperwhite.

4. e-ink screens have blinked since I had my first kindle in 2008 the K1. Back then there wasn't even an option to change to every 6 pages. I think the K3 still does every page also. I am on 6 pages with the Voyage as its so sharp that it doesn't deteriorate much at all by the time the "flash" comes up. I just don't notice that anymore after 7 years of reading on e-ink.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote