Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-09-2007, 12:35 AM   #1
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
Connect Software and Vista

Is anyone out there using the connect software successfully with Vista? I find it is totally unusable; the entire left hand panel is missing (see attached screenshot).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	connect.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	3444  
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:00 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Are you using Connect 1.1? That should work fine with Vista.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2007, 04:13 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I confirm that Connect 1.1 works fine for me here (Vista Business).

Link to Connect 1.1 upgrade: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...d=2475&SMB=YES
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:15 AM   #4
dsyzling
dsyzling began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Vista ultimate working here as well.

I think BookDesigner even works (at least my previous reported problems seemed to have cleared). I manged to install in a non "Program Files" location - e.g. c:\utils\book designer and then apply the group "authenticated users" modify permissions to the directories underneath the install which was important for the various temp files it creates. So far so good...

Rastafarian has a few issues mind.

Darren
dsyzling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:41 PM   #5
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
Yes, I am using the latest version off the Sony site (the one that is supposedly Vista compatible). I even finally went and did the firmware upgrade on my reader, which I had been reluctant to do. And I uninstalled and reinstalled the Connect software several times.

Of course Sony have no e-mail support, and I know from past experience trying telephonic support would just be an exercise in frustration. I guess that is the end of me and Sony Connect then. :-(
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2007, 01:46 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
We've had some reports recently that the Sony support folks have improved dramatically. You might try them once more. Even if it's just a short-term fluke, you might be able to get inside its window.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:33 PM   #7
corflame
corflame began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eBook Reader PRS-500
Let me guess, all those that have succeeded in getting the Connect soft to work under Vista are using the x86 (32bit) version?

I've tried everything that's been mentioned in this forum to get this working under my Vista x64 Ultimate. I've tried the admin install, I've tried the new (and old) version, but so far no go

If anyone has any solution, please share it with us
corflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:07 PM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
All I can share with you is that Sony has responded to me both through email and via telephone. I have found the support staff responsive and mild mannered. Although my early questions may have seemed dumb to them and they may have already heard the complaint hundreds of times they always seemed to communicate that they understood that this was important to me and therefore it was important to them.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:02 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've always thought that x64 versions of Windows were not yet ready because too much software won't work with it and this is just another example. Sorry, but that's life. The only thing you can do is upgrade to the x32 version. And yes the x64 version is a downgrade.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:06 PM   #10
Brainiac 5
Brainiac 5 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Portable Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by corflame
I've tried everything that's been mentioned in this forum to get this working under my Vista x64 Ultimate. I've tried the admin install, I've tried the new (and old) version, but so far no go
Unfortunately, it looks like the Connect software only includes a 32-bit version of the driver it uses to talk to the reader. (At least, I only see a 32-bit driver when I do an admin install and look through the files.) So, it looks like the current package just won't work on x64 (actually, I think the Connect program will run, but it can't talk to the reader).

Does anyone know who we could contact at Sony to put in our vote for supporting x64? I imagine all they'd need to port is the driver; the rest can stay 32-bit. The driver is only 19K.
Brainiac 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:39 PM   #11
Brainiac 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
I've always thought that x64 versions of Windows were not yet ready because too much software won't work with it and this is just another example.
This isn't an example of x64 Windows not being "ready." It's because Sony hasn't supplied a 64-bit driver. There's nothing to fix in Windows to make this work; the only solution is for Sony to write a 64-bit driver.

Quote:
And yes the x64 version is a downgrade.
I wouldn't put it quite that way. It's not that there's something wrong with the OS, it's just that software and hardware vendors, for whatever reason, are not supporting it much.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:02 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So if you don't get support, why bother then? You'll only end up with software you want/need to run that you cannot run. The x64 Windows needs to support 32-bit drivers as well as 64-bit drivers in order to be more compatible with the real world. Yes Sony did not include a 64-bit driver, bit if the x64 Windows supported 32-bit drivers, no problems would have arisen.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:45 PM   #13
Brainiac 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
So if you don't get support, why bother then? You'll only end up with software you want/need to run that you cannot run.
Different people have different needs. If you want to be able to use more than 4GB of memory, or to run 64-bit applications (there are some), then you'd have to run the x64 version. And it's not a foregone conclusion that you'll have programs that don't run on it - it depends on what you are doing with your computer. I use Windows XP x64 at work, and for work-type stuff I've never run into any programs that wouldn't run. And for home, the Sony Connect software is the only thing I'd like to run that I know won't.

Quote:
The x64 Windows needs to support 32-bit drivers as well as 64-bit drivers in order to be more compatible with the real world.
For technical reasons, that's not really possible.

Quote:
Yes Sony did not include a 64-bit driver, bit if the x64 Windows supported 32-bit drivers, no problems would have arisen.
But since that isn't an option, the only solution is for Sony to supply a 64-bit driver.

I fully understand that if you want broad compatibility and don't need any 64-bit features, the 32-bit OS is the way to go. But the point I'm trying to make is that at least in this case (and in fact most others), the incompatibility isn't due to some deficiency in the 64-bit OS. By its nature, it requires that certain things be 64-bit specific, that's just the way it is. It's not that the 64-bit OS isn't "ready" to run the Connect software; it's that the Connect software isn't ready for the 64-bit OS.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:58 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

if you can use the Connect software to connect to the Connect Store and purchase ebooks without a problem, then ask kovidgoyal is libprs500 can be made into a 64-bit version so you can transfer books to and from the Reader. That way you'll be all set and ready to go in a sort of round-a-bout way.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:26 AM   #15
corflame
corflame began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eBook Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac 5
Unfortunately, it looks like the Connect software only includes a 32-bit version of the driver it uses to talk to the reader. (At least, I only see a 32-bit driver when I do an admin install and look through the files.) So, it looks like the current package just won't work on x64 (actually, I think the Connect program will run, but it can't talk to the reader).

Does anyone know who we could contact at Sony to put in our vote for supporting x64? I imagine all they'd need to port is the driver; the rest can stay 32-bit. The driver is only 19K.
That's right, the software runs, but doesn't talk to the reader.

Of all the software I use regularly, this is the second along with Cisco VPN client that doesn't "talk" 64bit
corflame is offline   Reply With Quote