Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #31
avidworm
Enthusiast
avidworm began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
I assume that, after installation, one must copy books from Document folder to DK Document folder, is that correct? To bad one cannot have just one Document folder...
no there is an option page 3 line F Support old system click YEs
avidworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:10 PM   #32
Rinzwind
Connoisseur
Rinzwind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G UK 3.03
Quote:
I assume that, after installation, one must copy books from Document folder to DK Document folder, is that correct? To bad one cannot have just one Document folder...
I tried that with an epub ( ) and after a reboot contents of DK Documents showed up.
But I get an "Open failed".

Going to try avidworm's suggestion now.

AVIDWORM YOU ROCK!!!!! *O*

I have an epub open *now*

Last edited by Rinzwind; 11-06-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Rinzwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 12:11 PM   #33
avidworm
Enthusiast
avidworm began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Quote:
So, we have:

How to install the system:
1. Extract DK_System, DK_Documents and DK_Pictures to the Kindle root directory.
If you have a previously installed version of Duokan installed, replace DK_System with the new DK_System folder;
Then continue with these steps).

2. If your Kindle2 is an international version, "Update_DK_k2i.bin" file to the Kindle root directory (Note: here is a copy of the appropriate File, not the whole folder. If you cannot read the file name, mouse over should give you the precise version for your Kindle).
If your Kindle2 is a U.S. version, copy "Update_DK_k2.bin" file to the Kindle root directory

Unplug Kindle from U.S.B. and Update: Menu/settings/menu/update

Restart. Select Q to boot into Duokan.

Language setting:

After it starts up press
MENU
Go to J (wording is "settings" in Chinese ) and activate it.
Go to the 3rd page ( > > > ).
Choose D (wording is "language" in Chinese ) and activate it.
Choose C (a is traditional, b is simplified, c is English, d Japanese and e Korean).

Is that right?
yes also the particular bin for your kindle (you need to get the right folder) can be recognised automatically so you don't need to remember which bin is for your kindle. i.e. i know my bins are in kindle3 folder so i just copy those bin files to root and the right bin gets chosen when you update
avidworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #34
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
THanks, much guys. I added the last direction to my collation of your directions.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:49 PM   #35
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

O.K. I have installed and restarted several times, and I get a very quick flash screen with 3 choices -- Maybe just 2. #1 is in Chinese only -- this is Duokan: #2 has the word Kindle surrounded by Chinese. I have to press the number key on my Kindle to get into Duokan. I'm in now. If I am not back by dark, inform the proper authorities.

Also, I have numbers, not letter in my version. I had to go to Menu, 0 for settings (a little wrench symbol) page 3, select 3, then select 3 again for English. Judicious use of Google translate got me there.

I have Kindle2i

Last edited by montalex; 11-06-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #36
Rinzwind
Connoisseur

Quote:
O.K. I have installed and restarted several times, and I get a very quick flash screen with 3 choices -- May just 2. #1 is in Chinese only -- this is Duokan: #2 has the word Kindle surrounded by Chinese. I have to press the number key on my Kindle to get into Duokan. I'm in now. If I am not back by dark, inform the proper authorities.
It is pitch dark overhere so I called 112 and told them to warn the feds :+
Old 11-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #37
flipkick
flipkick will become famous soon enoughflipkick will become famous soon enoughflipkick will become famous soon enoughflipkick will become famous soon enoughflipkick will become famous soon enoughflipkick will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
don't forget to post your bug reports and wrong translations to the duokan forum at www.duokan.com

I started this thread there: http://www.duokan.com/forum/thread-4688-1-1.html . Some of them speak english ;=)

use the google translator for registering and finding the correct buttons ^^
flipkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:16 PM   #38
montalex
Fanatic

unbe-fuggin-lievable! I got reflowable pdf! Select auto layout from the font menu Aa, then use that key again to get a menu to select type size. I am reading Wordsworth in the Oxford Book of American Poetry, a book that was useless in pdf on a Kindle2 screen. There are a million setting in there!

What a trip.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #39
flipkick
flipkick will become famous soon enoughflipkick will become famous soon enoughflipkick will become famous soon enoughflipkick will become famous soon enoughflipkick will become famous soon enoughflipkick will become famous soon enough

type size for PDF? FINALLY! i love these chinese people
Old 11-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #40
Rinzwind
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipkick View Post
don't forget to post your bug reports and wrong translations to the duokan forum at www.duokan.com

I started this thread there: http://www.duokan.com/forum/thread-4688-1-1.html . Some of them speak english ;=)

use the google translator for registering and finding the correct buttons ^^
Done

2 times: "Conecting..." -> "Connecting..."
1 time: "Conectting.." should be "Connecting..."

And I can not get wireless to work
It works on the default firmware but the duokan fw always shows me a "failed"

Last edited by Rinzwind; 11-06-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:31 PM   #41
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
So is the Montalex collation of steps a WORKING version at this point? Maybe I will wait another year or two..........
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:33 PM   #42
flipkick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
So is the Montalex collation of steps a WORKING version at this point? Maybe I will wait another year or two..........
this is the very first english version without any english documentation and this version is also a beta version, so this is for adventurers only
Old 11-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #43
montalex
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post

The confusion was with the letters (D, J, etc.) I don't have letters in my Duokan menus, I have numbers and symbols. Once you get it set to English, there's no problem.

Everything else worked for install.

Edit: Duoh! Of course -- Kindle 2 has a number row on the keyboard, and Kindle 3 does not, thus the letters on the Kindle 3 menu.

Last edited by montalex; 11-06-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #44
flipkick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzwind View Post
Done

2 times: "Conecting..." -> "Connecting..."
1 time: "Conectting.." should be "Connecting..."

And I can not get wireless to work
It works on the default firmware but the duokan fw always shows me a "failed"
welcome in china i like their forum software, even if it's in chinese
yes, well, wifi, it's beta, i think this will be working somewhere down the road.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #45
flipkick

btw, to uninstall, simply delete the DK_* folders