Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-18-2014, 05:29 PM   #1
DarsVaeda
DarsVaeda began at the beginning.

Device: non
Change fonts without hacking the kindle

I searched but maybe I'm not using the right terms as I'm new to all this.

Shouldn't it be possible to unpack an .awz book and change the font to your desired font then pack it to .awz again? I mean books come with custom fonts don't they?
You would have to do it for every book you read but at least you do not need to hack the device itself.
DarsVaeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:46 PM   #2
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarsVaeda View Post
Shouldn't it be possible to unpack an .awz book and change the font to your desired font then pack it to .awz again?
This is possible only for kf8 files.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:06 PM   #3
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
This is possible only for kf8 files.
Nope. There WAS a very simple process of adding an empty text file named USE_ALT_FONTS and a folder called fonts which contained the ttf fonts you wanted to use. It worked on all ebook formats for the Kindle PW (and maybe other models). I use the past tense because Amazon killed that capability in the latest update 5.4.4.1.
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:48 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readirect View Post
Nope. There WAS a very simple process of adding an empty text file named USE_ALT_FONTS and a folder called fonts which contained the ttf fonts you wanted to use. It worked on all ebook formats for the Kindle PW (and maybe other models). I use the past tense because Amazon killed that capability in the latest update 5.4.4.1.
That is indeed another solution. It remains true, however, that even with USE_ALT_FONTS you cannot embed fonts into a mobi7 ebook file.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote