Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #16
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
But it does come with a cover, which looks as though it offers decent protection. The Paperwhite at £109 is supplied with no cover at all and the official cover will set you back another £31.
Dunno about the Sony covers but I only paid US$9 for the leather cover for my T1. It's not an Oberon designs masterpiece but after 18 months it's still in near mint condition.
It looks a lot like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Leathe.../dp/B007CIBVC4

The same source provided me with a $12 cover for my FireHD8.9.
Bundled covers are high-margin profit boosters.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #17
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Is it possible to detach the cover? With cover it's. 200g of which the cover is 80g.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #18
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Only 4 hours of page refreshes? Does that mean only 4 hours of battery life for reading?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #19
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Just got my answer from Endgadgets hands on http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/04/sonys-prs-t3/
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #20
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Dunno about the Sony covers but I only paid US$9 for the leather cover for my T1...
It is not leather, on the amazon page it says "man-made leather."
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #21
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Only 4 hours of page refreshes? Does that mean only 4 hours of battery life for reading?
It's their way of saying it can go up to 600 pages (if I remember correctly) between full-page refreshes (aka, The Black Flash).
For some folks around here it would be closer to 15 minutes.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #22
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynton View Post
It is not leather, on the amazon page it says "man-made leather."
Leather or pleather, mine feels like the pricey stuff and smells like it.
As far as I'm concerned, if it's not an OD cover, I see no reason to pay any more than $10-12.
(shrug)
Old 09-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #23
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
But it does come with a cover, which looks as though it offers decent protection. The Paperwhite at £109 is supplied with no cover at all and the official cover will set you back another £31.
I know it comes with a cover as standard, but the lighted cover is extra. I was comparing the price of buying a lighted reader (Kindle Paperwhite £109, Kobo Aura £119) saying it's good that the Sony is cheaper at £99, but if you want to have the light with it, it's going to end up being more expensive than both of those.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #24
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
I guess Amazon can afford to make less margin on their readers as they can expect most people to then buy eBooks from themselves.

I was comparing reader + cover + light total price, except we don't know the price of the lighted cover. However, it could be up to £41 and still equal an equivalent KPW. Does the Aura come with a cover?

Personally I'm looking for a new ePub reader with cover and it's looking like the T3 or an Aura. I'm not too bothered about a light so I'm edging towards the Sony, especially as my PRS-300 has been so good.

Last edited by Agama; 09-04-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #25
SBT
Fanatic
SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1, tablet, Nook Simple, assorted kindles, iPad
Is the e-ink display the same as the new paperwhite carta display? Anybody know?
SBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #26
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBT View Post
Is the e-ink display the same as the new paperwhite carta display? Anybody know?
No, it's a Pearl display like last years Paperwhite and Kobo Glo, but without the light.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #27
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Lighted cover in video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxqHlMENMTk
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #28
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I'm seeing $130 in the Canadian store, shipping on the 6th. The lighted cover is $50. A (refurbished, I think) white T1 is now $60, down from the $80 I thought was a bargain... (including the snap-on case). They also have white T2's for $100.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #29
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
It LOOKS nice.

But that isn't enough to justify its existence.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #30
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
In UK 117€, en deustchland 139€, in Spain 149€.

Cover light 50€.

Too much expensive, very nice, but 70 more € Than Paperwhite 2...
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote