Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-11-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
anv
anv began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
GLIBC 2.10

I have glibc-2.10.1-6.4mnb2.i586 installed on my system, but when I run as root:

python -c "import urllib2; exec urllib2.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read(); main()"

I receive this message:

OSError: [Errno 36] File name too long: '/tmp/images/Note\rYou need GLIBC 2.10 or higher to run versions greater than 0.6.29. If you receive an error about GLIBC you can downgrade to an older version by getting the .tar.bz2 file for your architecture (32bit or 64bit) from sourceforge. Then delete the contents of '
anv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The actual error is the first part about a file name being too long. Though why you should get that is beyond me. I thought all linux files systems had at least 1024 as the path size limit.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2010, 03:38 AM   #3
anv

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The actual error is the first part about a file name being too long. Though why you should get that is beyond me. I thought all linux files systems had at least 1024 as the path size limit.
This error started with the lastest version. The version I has running is 0.6.49. May be it helps you find what is different about filenames.

If you want me to run some tests, just tell me.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:14 AM   #4
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
It looks to me like either a buffer overflow, or the filename string that's not properly ending with NULL.

I understand that the error is what was written out, and the "You need GLIBC..." string was considered the part of the path by some function, and that caused the "file name too long" error. So either the '/tmp/images/Note\r' isn't properly zero-terminated (more probable), or "You need GLIBC..." string was copied in memory over the latter part of the path (less probable).
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
yeah but that's just the installer script, not calibre itself and the installer script definitely hasn't changed between 0.6.49 and 0.6.52

Is that the complete error message or was there a Traceback before it?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2010, 04:11 AM   #6
anv

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Is that the complete error message or was there a Traceback before it?
Guess what. I runned the install script again and it worked fine.

I re-runned it from different directories and I couldn't reproduce the error.