Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #16
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamBee View Post
if the DRM is removed, is the lending period still in effect or will the book be available past the 14 or 21 day limit?
Once the DRM is removed the book will be available at any time.

If you use Calibre plugins as your DRM stripper, you retain a copy in your Calibre library without DRM while the original file in My Digital Editions will expire (be unopenable) when the lending period expires.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:13 AM   #17
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Once the DRM is removed the book will be available at any time.

If you use Calibre plugins as your DRM stripper, you retain a copy in your Calibre library without DRM while the original file in My Digital Editions will expire (be unopenable) when the lending period expires.
so...it's like stealing if you keep it, huh? ox o
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2011, 02:45 AM   #18
TheSFReader
Groupie
TheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really nice

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
It's more like photocopying it before it returns by itself (with hits fast flapping wings) to the library.
You can still read the copy, without depriving the library (and borrowers) of the book.

Still really ethically edgy...
Library lending is the only place where I personally see DRMs as justifiable for ebooks...
TheSFReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:19 AM   #19
JayB
Enthusiast
JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-950 PRS-300
Keeping library books definitely seems like stealing to me.

I can understand why people with Kindles strip them just so they can use the Overdrive system. As long as you delete the book when you are done with it.
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:08 AM   #20
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
It's undoubtedly a copyright violation, unethical, and undermines the social trust necessary for publishers to allow library loans of ebooks.

If I did this, I'd delete it after I'd read it.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2011, 01:59 PM   #21
TamBee
TamBee began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3, won it now love it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
OMG, I just checked, I have 302 library books I checked out just sitting there, some of them I didn't finish when I checked them out, what to do what to do????

unlike liberating books I paid for, I think it is probably unethical to liberate them. But...my test shows that it works.
sometimes, for whatever reason, it is impossible to read a book within the 14 day limit and it's not possible to 'renew' the digital copy as it would be with a physical book, so why is it any more unethical to 'liberate' books we borrow from the library (to finish reading) than it is to strip them of the drm?
TamBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #22
gojisube
Enthusiast
gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus 7" tablet; Dead Onyx Boox C67ML
I can simply backdate my Pocketbook 302, and voila, the DRM library ebook is readable. Not sure what the ethical dilemma is for that.
gojisube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #23
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Stripping the DRM from a library book is a non-issue for me, both technically and ethically (and necessary since I read them on a Kindle.) Keeping the book after I read it? Dark grey area. Mostly I delete them from Calibre, but in looking through my Calibre right now, I see two books that I'm pretty sure I got from the BC Library site. Wasn't intentional, just didn't delete it when I finished them.

With the maximum lending period of 3 weeks, and no renew possible, some books virtually require DRM stripping. For example, I just made it through the wait list for the 4 book bundle of George R. R. Martin's Game of Thrones series. It's huge! No way I could read it in 3 weeks, even if I didn't have to actually work. And the wait list to get it again is over 60 people last I looked.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #24
gojisube
Enthusiast
gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus 7" tablet; Dead Onyx Boox C67ML
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I just made it through the wait list for the 4 book bundle of George R. R. Martin's Game of Thrones series. It's huge! No way I could read it in 3 weeks, even if I didn't have to actually work. And the wait list to get it again is over 60 people last I looked.
My eReader almost chocked to death trying to open that 4 book bundle up. I'll be backdating it to finish reading all 4 for sure.
gojisube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #25
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
I can simply backdate my Pocketbook 302, and voila, the DRM library ebook is readable. Not sure what the ethical dilemma is for that.
Maybe you should pay them overdue fines, a time honored tradition

It seems a win lose situation over traditional borrowing.

Physical books you could keep them as long as you wanted to as long as you paid the
fines. Ebooks are arbitrarily yanked back.

Ebooks you never have to pay a fine, but you have to reserve them again (Really annoying when you are at page 727 out of 808.)

Still it is a system in it's infancy and perhaps libraries will figure out a way to let people renew ebooks (can't at my library currently)or keep them longer than they should by paying a fine.

However you look at it, it is an honor system and one honors it or doesn't

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #26
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Maybe you should pay them overdue fines, a time honored tradition

Ebooks are arbitrarily yanked back.

Ebooks you never have to pay a fine, but you have to reserve them again (Really annoying when you are at page 727 out of 808.)
Strip the DRM, to avoid the arbitrary yanking. Then, if you go over, donate the equivalent of the current overdue fine for physical books for the amount of time you had to keep it extra to finish. Everyone wins. The library gets a donation and you get to finish your book.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #27
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
My library doesn't charge fines - I know, weird, huh?

I did donate my PRS-600 to them, though, so that should cover any inadvertent 'stealing' I might do for quite awhile.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #28
JayB
Enthusiast
JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A PRS-600 that was a very generous donation.

As long as I dont close the book I can keep reading it forever. This of course wont work if you read more than one book at a time.

Does backdating work after the book is already listed as expired on your reader or do you have to make sure you do it before it expires?
Old 07-05-2011, 09:11 AM   #29
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
A PRS-600 that was a very generous donation.

As long as I dont close the book I can keep reading it forever. This of course wont work if you read more than one book at a time.

Does backdating work after the book is already listed as expired on your reader or do you have to make sure you do it before it expires?
I don't believe so. Once a DRM even is triggered, you're hosed.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:10 PM   #30
JayB
Enthusiast

Thanks CRussel