Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
jayz
jayz began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire,android
(Fixed Layout) Kindle for iPad app?

I was just wondering if anyone has made a fixed layout book for the Kindle Fire and has viewed the same book on the iPad using the Kindle app for iPad. If you format a book for the Kindle Fire shouldn't you be able to view it on the iPad? Not the Amazon Cloud by the way. If you followed the Kindle Publishing Guidelines for a fixed layout and it viewed fine on the Fire would there be any reason for errors on the iPad? And if so, what did you have to do to the fixed layout in order for it to display properly on the iPad?

Thanks
jayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
TObject
TObject plays well with othersTObject plays well with othersTObject plays well with othersTObject plays well with othersTObject plays well with othersTObject plays well with othersTObject plays well with othersTObject plays well with othersTObject plays well with othersTObject plays well with othersTObject plays well with others

Device: Kindle
Fixed layout is a feature of the KF8 format. Has the iPad application been updated to support the new KF8 format yet?
TObject is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
jayz

I don't know, that's what I was asking. I don't have an iPad to see.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
TObject
TObject plays well with othersTObject plays well with othersTObject plays well with othersTObject plays well with othersTObject plays well with othersTObject plays well with othersTObject plays well with othersTObject plays well with othersTObject plays well with othersTObject plays well with othersTObject plays well with others

Device: Kindle
Sorry, me nether.

I do not think those who own iPads visit these forums; they do not socialize with mere mortals like us. LOL

Last edited by TObject; 10-02-2012 at 11:02 PM.
TObject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
KevCal
Nameless Being

I believe you need to purchase a fixed-layout book ... Side loading doesn't work on th iPad as it does on kindle devices.
Advert
Old 11-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
jayz

The new Preview app has been updated to Version: 2.7
but I'm still not able to view a K8 fixed layout book for ios?
What do I have to add in the code in order for me to view it?
Old 11-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone
Well, I was curious about how fixed-layout books work in my Kindle for iPad app... so I purchased a children's Halloween picture book which was just published. I sent it first (when I bought it) to my iPad... cute book but not fixed-layout... no page breaks, not a good children's picture book experience. But then I sent it to my KindleFire... and the results were the same. Looked exactly alike. I'm sure if I looked at the epub version of the book on the iPad, it would be a picture book... one picture and text on each page.

I'm thinking you should incorporate the text into the image for it to work property.
AThirstyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
jayz

AThirstyMind,
I have a fixed layout children's book that was made for the Kindle Fire but I wanted to see what it would look like on the iPad. Since the Preview app has been updated to Version: 2.7 I figured they must have updated this information. It displays fine for HD White and the K. Fire HD 8.9 but still no iPad view. I was just wondering if you needed to do anything to the css in order for the view for iPad to work in the Preview app 2.7.