Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-25-2011, 01:20 AM   #1
tayseidel
Zealot
tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Glo HD, Aura H20, PRS-T1
Removing embedded fonts for PRS-T1

Could someone give a little more explanation on the options available under the "Filter style information" tab or point me to where I can find more information on the functions of these options?

There are issues with fonts not changing on some epub books on the PRS-T1. I'd like to know if checking the fonts checkbox under "Filter style information" will solve this problem as that option indicates to me that embedded fonts are removed.

I've looked at the user's manual for Calibre and found nothing pertaining to what I'm asking.
tayseidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:13 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Try it and see Using it will remove any defined font families, not just embedded ones.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
You could also take a look at kiwidude's 'Modify epub' plugin. 'Remove embedded fonts' is one of its many options.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:12 PM   #4
tayseidel
Zealot
tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Thanks Kovid. I tried it and I can see that I can now change my fonts in the PRS-T1 whereas before I couldn't, because the font was embedded. What do folks mean when they say be careful when removing embedded fonts? As far as I can tell, Italics still work and the conversions I've done, haven't rendered any of my epubs unreadable.

Thanks for the mention about modify epub Jackie. I've since added it to Calibre.

BTW, Kovid, great work on Calibre. It's easily the best program for managing ebooks. Thanks for the great work you have done on it.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayseidel View Post
Thanks Kovid. I tried it and I can see that I can now change my fonts in the PRS-T1 whereas before I couldn't, because the font was embedded. What do folks mean when they say be careful when removing embedded fonts? As far as I can tell, Italics still work and the conversions I've done, haven't rendered any of my epubs unreadable.

Thanks for the mention about modify epub Jackie. I've since added it to Calibre.

BTW, Kovid, great work on Calibre. It's easily the best program for managing ebooks. Thanks for the great work you have done on it.
An Embedded font may support additional characters, font weight combinations.
If you delete them, and your system default does not...
Blanks or ? appear (square boxes in Windows)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
tayseidel
Zealot

Thanks for the explanation theducks. I've played around a bit with the T1 and probably will look into replacing the default font with the Bitstream Vera Serif font.