Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-26-2006, 01:03 PM   #1
luag
Zealot
luag began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Apple to make ebook readers?

Hi, this is my first post here, but i've been visiting since i first heard about sony reader.

I just read a Businessweek article about digital books future, here:
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...f+the+magazine

It was a nice read, but what caught my interest most is this:
" There's even speculation that Apple could come out with its own device, an iPod designed for books. The secretive company hasn't said anything publicly and declined to comment for this article."

They might call it iBooks lol

Another thing i noticed is that PlasticLogic's reader is still a long way to go. "It's partnering with Japan's NTT DoCoMo (DCM ) and plans to have a product on the market by early 2008."
luag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 01:37 PM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Hi Luag! Glad to have you not just as a reader but a participant. Very nice first post.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple does come out with it's own ebook reader, and it certainly has the infrastructure to handle the store side of things for the content. It's probably inevitable, and just a matter of how and when they jump in. I think they may start out by including ebooks as part of the feature set of future iPods. The screens will be getting better and better as they add multimedia functionality.

We've been hearing about ebooks in the mainstream being just around the corner for a while, but obviously the technology is taking a while to mature. It's coming, but just not as quickly as we would like. Apple could easily become a big part of bringing it faster (with iBooks as you say!), as maybe Sony will be also. But when nice e-ink devices in color become common and inexpensive we'll really see a big jump into the mainstream.

Every bit of new product news and marketing buzz and trade talk is another step closer to getting mainstream public to think about ebooks in a new way. Hopefully, there won't be a popular "bad" product that tarnishes the ebook image too much. That sort of thing might actually slow down adoption. But one way or another, it's coming!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2006, 07:02 AM   #3
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
If Apple jumped in the arena, I'd be all over that. Buying books from the i-library and knowing that it'll "just work" on my mac would make me very happy. Not sure I'd want it to be of the iPod form factor though. I really want a book replacment. Something akin to the Sony reader but with better styling.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:01 AM   #4
luag
Zealot
luag began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Thanks for the welcome, Bob

Talking about display (a little bit off topic), I found an interesting short article.
Photo on the article is supposedly a leaked photo for a touch screen iPod video (quite big!...and awesome!) http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-...ure-156619.php

From that, i imagine that iBooks will feature a touch screen just like iLiad.
Another factor i like is that Apple (so far) is not a DRM freak like Sony.
iBooks might as well be the ultimate reader without the words "proprietary" attached to it (affordable reader which can read HTML, txt, pdf and other common types of text files natively)

I guess i'll wait a little bit before i buy Sony Reader :P
(and maybe Sony Reader will get hacked pretty soon after its release, allowing people to read html, txt files)

Last edited by luag; 02-27-2006 at 08:22 AM.
luag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:08 PM   #5
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
If Apple came out with an "iBook", i am sure they would have a DRM scheme. It would probably view html, txt, pdf, pdb etc as well, but much like iTunes it would have some form of DRM. One could only hope that they adopted one of the DRMs currently out there such as eReaders or lit. (hopefully, but doubtfully lit
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert