Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 01-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
ibat
Fool
ibat began at the beginning.

Device: HanLin V3, Cybook Odyssey HD, PocketBook PB626, PB632
hanlin V3 firmware update V2.02EN 2009-01-20 available

Download at the usual place: http://www.jinke.com.cn/Compa...

1.Support fonts change in MOBI READER.
2.Update HTML parser, TXT parser and PDB parser.
ibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:37 PM   #2
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibat View Post

Download at the usual place: http://www.jinke.com.cn/Compa...

1.Support fonts change in MOBI READER.
2.Update HTML parser, TXT parser and PDB parser.
Could someone please upload this firmware (and the 2008-12-12 one as well if possible) to Rapidshare, Megaupload or a similar filesharing site?
My university's network-connection does not seem to like port 8080

Thanks very much in advance!
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsVH View Post
Could someone please upload this firmware (and the 2008-12-12 one as well if possible) to Rapidshare, Megaupload or a similar filesharing site?
My university's network-connection does not seem to like port 8080

Thanks very much in advance!
Both are being uploaded to Rapidshare as I type this.

2008-12-12

2009-01-20

Last edited by slayda; 01-21-2009 at 03:48 PM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I see no difference in Mobipocket fonts between these two (i.e. 2008-12-12 & 2009-01-20). Still has the same three original fonts (Times, Ariel & Ibook). I was unable it use my own supplied font (Gentium - GenBasR.ttf). It was not listed.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:06 AM   #5
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Both are being uploaded to Rapidshare as I type this.

2008-12-12

2009-01-20
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2009, 07:32 AM   #6
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Stupid question time.is there any difference to a BEBook between a Jinke firmware flash and a BEBook firmware flash...(other than the changes, of course.)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:22 AM   #7
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Stupid question time.is there any difference to a BEBook between a Jinke firmware flash and a BEBook firmware flash...(other than the changes, of course.)
I can not say for sure, because I have not loaded both. I have downloaded both the BEBOOK and Jinke(Hanlin) updates, and they are both EXACTLY 57,671,680 bytes in size. Since it is pretty unusual to see two 9 digit number of bytes to come out the same unless they actually are the same file, my guess is that there is no difference between the Jinke(Hanlin) and BEBOOK download files? I suspect that at least the logo screens may be different, but if they are uncompressed bit maps they would both be 800x600 pixels, so they would not affect the VSUPDATE.BIN file size.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
hogleg
Enthusiast
hogleg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hogleg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hogleg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hogleg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hogleg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hogleg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hogleg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hogleg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hogleg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hogleg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hogleg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3
For some reason I have a zip nested within a Zip and this hanlin update does not like that....crashes every time. I figured why not take the plunge to OI now? So I'll try that out for a while.
hogleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
I have used the new hanlin update on my BeBook, different logo and the update has changed my PID, but no issues with the update at all.

Hogleg, once I remove DRM from my mobi books, I am also considering the move to open inkpot. Can u keep us informed as to your experiences with it

Karen
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:09 PM   #10
Fake51
Enthusiast
Fake51 began at the beginning.

Device: LBook V3
@Dave: you're talking about images that will be flashed into the devices. It would be odd if they were different in size as they have to be flashable into the same device. If you look at the numbers and do some divisions, you'll realize that the files are exactly 55MB long - which would be the bigger oddity here, if we were talking about normal files and not images that will be flashed into a device.
To answer Ralph's question: yes there are differences, but the Hanlin firmware and the bebook firmware will both work on Hanlin and bebook devices, as they are essentially the same.

Regards
Fake
Fake51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:22 AM   #11
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake51 View Post
@Dave: you're talking about images that will be flashed into the devices. It would be odd if they were different in size as they have to be flashable into the same device. If you look at the numbers and do some divisions, you'll realize that the files are exactly 55MB long
There is nothing odd about firmware image files being different sizes, since any minor change in the source code will change the size up or down. When I compile firmware for other devices, the firmware image ALWAYS comes out a different size after any software modification. In this case the images are NOT exactly 55 MegaBytes, but 57,671,680 bytes in size. On the other hand the current OpenInkPot image for the Hanlin/BEBOOK is 54,525,952 bytes in size, because it IS actually different firmware. My conclusion from that is that both the Hanlin image from Jinke and the BEBOOK image are both the same firmware with a different logo screen. The logo screen part of the image will aways be the same size if it is not compressed, because the logo is just a bitmap of the 800x600 pixel screen.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:16 PM   #12
Fake51
Enthusiast
Fake51 began at the beginning.

Device: LBook V3
@Dave:
Quote:
There is nothing odd about firmware image files being different sizes, since any minor change in the source code will change the size up or down. When I compile firmware for other devices, the firmware image ALWAYS comes out a different size after any software modification.
Yes, supposing you're just compiling code. I rather doubt that's the case with the Hanlin firmware - if I remember correctly, a description of taking the .bin file apart on OI revealed that you're actually looking at an image of a filesystem, not just a bunch of files or one file. NOT a bunch of files. Hence you'll find that the firmware is aligned in size to physical size of disk.
Looking inside the firmware file, there's tons of unused space - it's not the result of compiling code but the result of filling up unused space with blank values instead of garbage data.
Apart from that, I'm pretty sure 57671680 equals 55MB. Every calculater I've tried so far tells me that 57671680 / 1024 / 1024 equals 55.

Edit: link to OI description of firmware file http://openinkpot.org/wiki/V3FirmwareFileFormat

Regards
Fake

Last edited by Fake51; 01-26-2009 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Adding link
Fake51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:31 AM   #13
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake51 View Post
Yes, supposing you're just compiling code. I rather doubt that's the case with the Hanlin firmware - if I remember correctly, a description of taking the .bin file apart on OI revealed that you're actually looking at an image of a filesystem, not just a bunch of files or one file.
Ahhhhhhhhhh, I see what you mean!!!!!! I think that I can even fathom a reason why that sort of image may be necessary when using Linux as the OS. In that case, I can see that my idea for telling them apart was flawed. Thanks for taking the time to explain it and for providing the link.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #14
redbaron101
Zealot
redbaron101 began at the beginning.

Device: palm t3, iphone, bebook (hanlin v3 clone)
i think bebook is the same as jinkes but with an updated logo and possibly a few minor changes. For example using bebook firmware you can still use jinke logomaker to change the logo.

From talking to bebook support over the months and partly an educational guess I think bebook and other hanlin distributors get jinkes firmware before anyone else, hence bebooks releases are available before jinkes and include all the same updates when the jinkes are finally available. I guess jinke do this to let their redistributors act as guinuea pigs in case they get a bad firmware, like the initial bebeook dec and jan firmware that was pulled after numerous user problems.
redbaron101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #15
torbich
Zealot
torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 602, LBook V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron101 View Post
i think bebook is the same as jinkes but with an updated logo and possibly a few minor changes.

From talking to bebook support over the months and partly an educational guess I think bebook and other hanlin distributors get jinkes firmware before anyone else, hence bebooks releases are available before jinkes and include all the same updates when the jinkes are finally available.
The same with LBook - we get several experimental firmware versions before final 20/01/2009. All originated from Jinkle, but with minor changes from LBook. But CoolReader component (responsible for reading FB2 and RTF files) is from Russian programmer, not from Jinkle. It seems that BeBook add some new features to MobiPocket too. And there are rumors that quite soon we'll get PDF module from Adobe (similar to those Sony has).
torbich is offline   Reply With Quote