Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-11-2008, 09:10 PM   #1
kren
Connoisseur
kren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enough

Device: iPod Touch ipad
Smaller Display Wanted

Hi
Anyone know if I can create a template in MS Word say to copy and then paste an RTF/TXT or other format book so as to reduce the size of the screen display, if so how?. I have a fault in the bottom RH corner 20 millimeters up which hides the first three words or so from the last three sentences leaving me with approximately 100 millimeters of free screen measured from the top.
Keith
kren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:39 PM   #2
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by khlong9 View Post
Hi
Anyone know if I can create a template in MS Word say to copy and then paste an RTF/TXT or other format book so as to reduce the size of the screen display, if so how?. I have a fault in the bottom RH corner 20 millimeters up which hides the first three words or so from the last three sentences leaving me with approximately 100 millimeters of free screen measured from the top.
Keith
Have your tried using Book Designer? There is an option to set the top and bottom margins in the Make Sony Reader File Options Tab.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen shot.JPG
Views:	419
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	11427  
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2008, 09:45 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Setting margins in book designer is a really good idea. Also libprs500's converters have margin options as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:00 PM   #4
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
Have your tried using Book Designer? There is an option to set the top and bottom margins in the Make Sony Reader File Options Tab.
Attached is a screen shot with the bottom margin set at 150. Probably to much for your needs but you can experiment to get the results you need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen shot 3.JPG
Views:	432
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	11429  
Old 03-12-2008, 12:28 AM   #5
kren
Connoisseur
kren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enough

Hi thanks for the suggestions have downloaded Book Designer 4.0 but cannot find how to set bottom margin I don't have Make Sony Reader File Options Tab.
Keith
Advert
Old 03-12-2008, 01:37 AM   #6
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse

Quote:
Hi thanks for the suggestions have downloaded Book Designer 4.0 but cannot find how to set bottom margin I don't have Make Sony Reader File Options Tab.
Keith
Did you install the 7/30/07 update for BD? You can find it here:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Book_Designer

Also for a good BD primer check out Harry's excellent Book Designer Tutorial at:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313

Last edited by Madam Broshkina; 03-12-2008 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Added more info
Old 03-12-2008, 03:37 AM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Hi
Anyone know if I can create a template in MS Word say to copy and then paste an RTF/TXT
Step 1.
load the text into MSWord or OpenOffice.org writer

Step 2.
Format the page for the size 120x90mm
set left, right and top margins to 0.01cm
set bottom margin to 2cm

Step3.
set font to Arial, or Helvetica, or anything you like to read in, set font size to 16 points

Step 4.
Save the document as rtf

Step 5.
look at the document in the reader
? Do You like the result ?
..... if not, go to Step 1 and change settings accordingly.
..... If you like it, record a macro, so the next time you acomplish this with three clicks ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:22 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Step 1.
load the text into MSWord or OpenOffice.org writer

Step 2.
Format the page for the size 120x90mm
set left, right and top margins to 0.01cm
set bottom margin to 2cm

Step3.
set font to Arial, or Helvetica, or anything you like to read in, set font size to 16 points

Step 4.
Save the document as rtf

Step 5.
look at the document in the reader
? Do You like the result ?
..... if not, go to Step 1 and change settings accordingly.
..... If you like it, record a macro, so the next time you acomplish this with three clicks ;-)
Setting the page size for an RTF file will not have the slightest effect; the Reader "reflows" RTF files. The only format for which page size matters is PDF.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:58 AM   #9
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Setting the page size for an RTF file will not have the slightest effect; the Reader "reflows" RTF files. The only format for which page size matters is PDF.
Thanks Harry

I am well aware of this. I use almost exclusively rtf files for uploading texts to my Reader.
I just wanted to put together the least confusing steps to create the desired document, and I thought that he has to open "page format" dialog for entering margins anyway, ...
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:34 AM   #10
kren
Connoisseur

"Eureka" thanks to you guys, I managed it in BD with the bottom margin set at 200px because the unreadable part of the screen has now grown to approx one third, it's not an ideal solution but it will suffice until I can sus out a new reader or until I can sort out how to return this one to the States, I have written to Sony to ascertain what this may involve re: Labour and shipping costs etc. Finally Harry your tutorial on the use of BD is fantastic I had a very interesting and enlightening day yesterday.
Cheers
Keith