Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
OTG devices to access USB storage? Tethering?

I have been looking at USB OTG cables when I saw an example of a OTG keyboard connecting to the Fire HD. I would like some sort of non-wireless portable storage solution and was wondering if anyone has hooked up a USB-card reader or other drive? I've never used these and have no mobile/android experience, so this is just a shot-in-the-dark.

Also, is there any chance that one could tether the Fire HD to a kindle 3G network? I remember reading something about peer networks not supported with the Fire, so probably not....Although I just read that Amazon has limited the amount of data xfer per month on the 3G network - because of tethering use, so perhaps it can be done?

for any info!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
the7gerbers
Connoisseur
the7gerbers doesn't litterthe7gerbers doesn't litterthe7gerbers doesn't litter

Device: Kindles (Fire HD, Fire, Paperwhite) iPhone
I've been wondering if the KFHD support OTG cables without rooting. I'd love to be able to connect a keyboard that way. Did you say you *saw* one? Where did you see it? Rooted or unrooted?
the7gerbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
FYI Amazon could lock you out at anytime for tethering, as it's against the terms of service you agreed to.

Also, OTG is a pain to deal with. Just because the wires are so sturdy that it just topples the Kindle over, the original anyway. I would not recommend it. Since the HD has Bluetooth, you are better off using a keyboard that is also Bluetooth.

As for storage, none of the options are really great. You COULD do it, and people are doing that on the rooted/different ROM Kindles, but again, it's pretty ugly.

The main problem is that you have to use a powered USB hub for most things, so you end up having the Kindle + the OTG cable + the hub + whatever you're hooking up. So you have wires all over the place. I have all the stuff to plug in my little keyboard, but I never use it because it's just not worth the hassle.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:42 AM   #4
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
First,
Here's the link to the Amazon page with the USB OTG connected keyboard - doesn't say anything about root.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...x=0&isremote=0

Second,
Didn't remember about the Amazon agreement - didn't really think it was feasible in any case, and wouldn't want to jeopardize my Amazon 3G account, as it is incredibly useful. Just thought the fire browser would be better/faster.

Anyone use the Kingston Wi-drive portable storage with the Fire? Expensive though, probably better to just purchase the 32GB model!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
the7gerbers
Connoisseur

It may not say anything about a root, but there's no way the KF screen looks like that without a root, right?
Advert
Old 10-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by the7gerbers View Post
It may not say anything about a root, but there's no way the KF screen looks like that without a root, right?
incorrect. My KFHD looks like that and it is not rooted. It is completely stock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-10-22-07-58-49.png
Views:	634
Size:	612.3 KB
ID:	94661  

Last edited by WillysJeepMan; 10-22-2012 at 11:00 AM.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I am not sure whether the KFHD has OTG enabled (it has to be enabled in the kernel itself), but the ICS/Jelly Bean ROMs for the original has it. The stock does not.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #8
the7gerbers
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
incorrect. My KFHD looks like that and it is not rooted. It is completely stock.
Well, that's cool! Mine definitely does NOT look like that, though. Can you tell me how you did it, please? Very nice!
Old 10-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Which launcher are you using?
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
the7gerbers
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Which launcher are you using?
That's what I want to know, too, and also how to get it installed on my KFHD. I tried to install GOLauncher but it wouldn't open once I installed.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Looks like ADW Launcher EX. I downloaded it to mine using Silk from the 4shared app store. After it downloads it appears in the Notification Area with the option to install it.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:59 PM   #12
the7gerbers
Connoisseur

ADW Launcher questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Looks like ADW Launcher EX. I downloaded it to mine using Silk from the 4shared app store. After it downloads it appears in the Notification Area with the option to install it.
Thanks so much! I did go install ADW Launcher and it is really neat. Two questions for those who might know:
  1. It tells me that no app exists to change wallpaper, nor will it let me add any wallpaper. I haven't added any photos to my photo collection on the device yet...will adding some fix this?
  2. Is there a way to make it launch ADW when I hit the home button?

Very grateful for the expertise here!
~Andrea
Old 10-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by the7gerbers View Post
Thanks so much! I did go install ADW Launcher and it is really neat. Two questions for those who might know:
  1. It tells me that no app exists to change wallpaper, nor will it let me add any wallpaper. I haven't added any photos to my photo collection on the device yet...will adding some fix this?
  2. Is there a way to make it launch ADW when I hit the home button?

Very grateful for the expertise here!
~Andrea
I haven't had time to use it much yet. I read some where that the Home button will always bring you back to the Fire HD's default launcher, so use the Back button instead. I have no clue about question #1.

Tags
tethering, usb otg