Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-01-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
esmerelda3
esmerelda3 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi
Can't upgrade desktop software just on the desktop (imac) - goes into a loop

I can see from reading the thread that others are having troubles upgrading the software. I am not even at the stage of trying to connect the Kobo (which is a wifi one, not the touch and not the original). I am just trying to download the upgrade, and I keep getting caught in a "loop". I have done the steps to completely uninstall the software from my Mac (it's an iMac) and then reinstall. When I go through the process of the download, and it says "install", I click install, it gives me the screen where I have the kobo logo that I am supposed to move across to the "applications folder" and when I double-click that it starts the whole process all over again where it opens the desktop program and then says "Important Desktop Update" - we've released an important update for Kobo Desktop. you must now update to continue enjoying the best possible experience" with the Update button. This goes on and on and on.....I have literally done this about 20 times!!!
I have sent an email to Kobo about an hour ago, but have only received the automatic 'we've got your email" response.
Anyone else experience this and any recommendations?
esmerelda3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:47 AM   #2
esmerelda3

OP here. I just read the next post ("Two birds, one stone) where someone else had the same looping issue. Unfortunately, doing what they suggested did not work. I have uninstalled the old version at least 5 times, and gone directly to the website, and now just tried downloading directly from the kobosetup.com site. Still get the EXACT same looping result. I am not joking when I say I have been trying to get this installed for over three hours!
Advert
Old 08-01-2012, 05:23 AM   #3
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmerelda3 View Post
OP here. I just read the next post ("Two birds, one stone) where someone else had the same looping issue. Unfortunately, doing what they suggested did not work. I have uninstalled the old version at least 5 times, and gone directly to the website, and now just tried downloading directly from the kobosetup.com site. Still get the EXACT same looping result. I am not joking when I say I have been trying to get this installed for over three hours!
Hi esmerelda,

One question: where did you purchase your device?

Try this for the desktop app:

1. Download an app called 'Appcleaner' for mac here: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/25276/appcleaner and install it.

2. Start the appcleaner app.

3. open your Applications folder, and drag the kobo icon to the appcleaner window.

4. Appcleaner will prompt you to delete all associated files, go ahead and do this.

5. Go to http://www.kobobooks.com/desktop and download a fresh version of the application and install it.

This should fix your problem.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
Fernblatt
Fernblatt began at the beginning.

Device: All
Question Did that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post

1. Download an app called 'Appcleaner' for mac here: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/25276/appcleaner and install it.

3. open your Applications folder, and drag the kobo icon to the appcleaner window.

4. Appcleaner will prompt you to delete all associated files, go ahead and do this.

5. Go to http://www.kobobooks.com/desktop and download a fresh version of the application and install it.

SameerH ---

I am having the same problem with my iMac. I used both AppZapper and AppCleaner, even went into terminal and used the grep command to find any loose bits or pieces on my system. After that I manually went through every folder to see if there were any bits hiding, but found none. Tried rebooting after every uninstall. Emptied the trash after every uninstall. FSCK'd the drive, looking for anything odd or out of place in the way of corrupt or fragmented files, drive and data are intact. I let the software automatically download and update, that didn't work. I downloaded the software from the Kobo site, that didn't work either.

No joy. I still get the dialog window that pops up telling me I need to update the reader software, which I do. And each and every time, at least for the past 8 hours or so, the new installation prompts me AGAIN to update.

My hardware is late 2010 27"iMac, 1 Tb hdd, 16 Gb RAM

Tom
Fernblatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
esmerelda3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Hi esmerelda,

One question: where did you purchase your device?

So first I made sure my Mac had the most up to date software - it didn't so had to install upgrades. I then did the process you quoted above. It worked - I have successfully downloaded the desktop upgrade. Yeah! Thanks for your help.
To the previous poster, maybe try seeing if your Mac software has any updates? That's the only additional thing I did?
Thanks for the help.
Advert
Old 08-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
Fernblatt
Fernblatt began at the beginning.

Device: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmerelda3 View Post
So first I made sure my Mac had the most up to date software - it didn't so had to install upgrades. I then did the process you quoted above. It worked - I have successfully downloaded the desktop upgrade. Yeah! Thanks for your help.
To the previous poster, maybe try seeing if your Mac software has any updates? That's the only additional thing I did?
Thanks for the help.
Running Mountain Lion, just updated over the weekend. That's about it.
Still keeps going into a loop.
Fernblatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
I ran into the same problem a couple days ago. Deleting the .app didn't fix it so I deleted the support files with appcleaner and it fixed it.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote