Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
inkedchick
inkedchick began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo vox
Problems galore

OK First off I'm sorry if there is an answer to this somewhere else but I searched and found nothing so here goes...

I just bought a refurbished Kobo vox. I'm returning it next week for a brand new one because I'm having problem but I thought I'd screw around with it just to get used to it.

Here's the major problems. Maybe you can tell me if you have them too and it's not just the fact that mine is refurbished.

1. Music: I have a sd card that I have my music on that I'm trying to get to play. On the google play music shows some of the songs but doesn't play any of them if it even detects any at all (I usually have to unplug my sd card and plug it back in but it still doesn't play) So i downloaded the app called Double Twist. Now this one shows and plays the music ... but not all of it. It'll skip over some songs.

2. Books: I have some pdf book files on my computer and I downloaded the free version of calibre and converted them to epub but when I try to import them to my library it says my memory card is too full ... i don't see how this can be since I've only been downloading apps and not that many (less then ten) and my external card is 8gig and I only have 9 book and all of them are under 2mb (according to calibre) so how can they anything be full?

and speaking of memory

3. Memory: When I go to the storage under settings it tells me I have an available internal storage of 664mb, internal SD storage availability of 4.14gb
and an external SD storage availability of 5.59gb .... so how exactly is any of my storage full (well except for the internal storage but isn't that for the os?)

Any help would be appreciated and I'll try to give you more info if you need it
inkedchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:21 AM   #2
d.culloch
Derek
d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.

Device: touch
I have a problem playing music on the kobo. It took a couple of days for Google music application to find all of the tracks on 32gb card. Then it would not play the tracks and when it finally did play a track the player crashed and has gone back to displaying the tracks but not playing them. I have tried other players but they still have not found the tracks on my card. Good luck.
d.culloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 06:08 AM   #3
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
I dont have the issue of songs not playing, but I have missing cover art, as above it can be quite slow at detecting all the music
what format is the music in?

Have you got many apps installed, the OS uses the main onboard and i believe this is also used for temporary storage, so 664mb might be running out.
the books themselves will get stored in the internal sd card (4.14gb free) which is plenty
I have seen the out of memory occasionally, this for me was when i had too many apps installed
what you can try, go into settings and then apps, click into your downloaded apps and see if they have the option to move to sd card, this will move them from main storage (664mb free) to the internal storage card 4.14gb free)
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
inkedchick
inkedchick began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo vox
Hey Paul thanks for the tip ... I went to manage applications and when you click on an app it has a button for move to sd card but it's not highlighted so I can't do anything with it
inkedchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkedchick View Post
Hey Paul thanks for the tip ... I went to manage applications and when you click on an app it has a button for move to sd card but it's not highlighted so I can't do anything with it
Get "app2sd" from the Market to manage where your "moveable" apps are. Get a file manager app, esfile explorer is a good one that will allow you to backup your apps and manage your folders so you can see where they are.
Last but not least, try a different music player like "playerpro music player trial" (7 day trial) to see if it plays your music better. I have the full version and everything plays ok.

Also, on the Kobo, your sd card is actually called "extsd". If your music is on the "sdcard" is is directly in the Vox's 8 gb memory which may be why you have no space...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 02:32 AM   #6
d.culloch
Derek
d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.

Device: touch
I have given up on the vox and went and bought a 64 GB PlayBook. No problems playing music now, or video or reading books. Not a huge app fan so did not have any difficulty moving away from Android. Good luck with the arc.
d.culloch is offline   Reply With Quote