Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-21-2007, 02:20 PM   #1
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quick Kindle Impressions from a Lefty

This is my first eInk device and my early impression is that it is a very cool device for geeks and non-geeks alike. Easy downloads without a computer. Easy loading from the computer via the USB connection. And you can go online.

It's definitely a right handed device. That doesn't bother me since I mouse with my right so I can take notes with my left. I'm not exactly ambidextrous but I can do a lot of things right handed. In a right handed world it's necessary. The scroll wheel is on the right so I can easily one hand the Kindle with my right hand leaving my left hand free for other tasks. My hands are very large for a woman probably about the size of large men's hands. The Kindle balances well in either hand and like I said it's easy for me to operate it one-handed. If you're accustomed to mousing left handed it will take a little time to get used to the scroll wheel on the right but you only need it when navigating the Kindle not to turn pages.

One of the books I purchased from Amazon, a cookbook, will be returned because you can't navigate via the TOC. Another book was easily navigated via the TOC. I can see using this for *real* reading where I can make notes and clip out pertinent sections. It'll be a pleasure reading fiction, all I need is a clip on light for low lighted areas.

I'm interested to see how much eye fatigue I'll have after using the Kindle.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I purchased several different types of content from Amazon to try out the Kindle. One was a comic book, a cookbook, a non-fiction book, and a fiction book. The comic book was of course rendered in gray scale but the graphics were very good and the text legible. The cookbook is being returned because I couldn't navigate from the TOC. The non-fiction book was easily navigable from the TOC, words easy to look-up and easy to highlight and clip. The fiction book was easy to read and even though the font isn't my favorite (give me Arial anyday) it's still easy to read and easy to change the size.
Advert
Old 11-21-2007, 02:49 PM   #3
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
May I ask what comic book you bought and where? I'd be interested in trying that out as well...
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I'm really keen on getting cookbooks on this thing. I figure I'll also add some of my own recipes many of which are already in txt files. That way I can search them when I'm at the store getting ideas for the week's menu. Also, I like this better than having my laptop in the kitchen. It should fit nicely in my cookbook holder.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:04 PM   #5
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

tsgreer - I picked up the cheapest one at Amazon, Moon Queen Comics I think it was around $0.35. I really haven't looked at the selection because I'd rather have the pbook in color.

Alisa - I was thinking of using the Kindle for cookbooks, too. Right now I can load individual recipes to my Palm but the small screen makes it hard for me to see it on the counter. The downside to using the Kindle to hold recipes is that when you list documents each and every recipe would show up in the list. If you put all your recipes into one document you would need to add bookmarks so that you could navigate the document easily.

I really don't like the lack of file management system, you can't add subfolders to organize your books. Didn't see anything in the documentation about it and haven't tried. At least with the MobiPocket Reader you could do that.
Advert
Old 11-21-2007, 05:54 PM   #6
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
tsgreer - I picked up the cheapest one at Amazon, Moon Queen Comics I think it was around $0.35...
Thanks! Yeah, for 33¢ it's cheap enough to try for a test run.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote