Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-23-2011, 08:32 PM   #151
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The weight is also an issue for me. 402 grams is light for most folks, but not for me because I have a disability that makes holding things up a problem. I had almost stopped reading before eReaders hit the scene because the weight of most books meant that I had to read sitting down with the books on a table. I guess we'll see.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:33 PM   #152
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The following book apps are available at GetJar:

Adobe Reader *
Aldiko *
Cool Reader
FBReader
Google Books
Kindle *
Kobo *
Moon+ Reader *
Nook
OverDrive Media Console (not really necessary for eBooks when you have the Kindle app)
Sony Reader

* = available in the Kindle Android Appstore. Other reading apps available:
JustReader (Google Reader)
ezPDF Reader
Mantano Reader
Djenné Book Reader
RepliGo Reader
Bluefire Reader
gBook eReader

That's just from the first 5 pages of hits I got searching for "Reader" in the Appstore.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #153
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfwhite View Post
Probably a silly question, but will the vox permit side loading non drm epubs through calibre? Better yet, if the android Dropbox app works on this it would be great.
Use Aldiko reader app and you can create a Calibre "catalog" within Aldiko and download your ePubs wirelessly.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:55 AM   #154
ronin688
Enthusiast
ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: REB-1100/ EBW-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
The weight is also an issue for me. 402 grams is light for most folks, but not for me because I have a disability that makes holding things up a problem. I had almost stopped reading before eReaders hit the scene because the weight of most books meant that I had to read sitting down with the books on a table. I guess we'll see.
Ack sorry to hear that, I hope the Vox is a good fit for you whatever you end up using it for.

I think we can be confident that the market is moviing towards ever lighter and more functional (and cheaper!) ereaders. It's an exciting time!
ronin688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:05 AM   #155
Lordvic
Connoisseur
Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.

Device: Blackberry Playbook
Anyone have a video / photo of hands on of this thing yet?

all i'm seeing are the press shots on the site, which doesn't give you a real good sense of how this will really look in the end.

i want to see it in it's glory before i buy. the last thing i want to do is buy one, just to find out that it's really a bulky thick ugly tablet (Though i think it looks nice from the press shots)
Lordvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2011, 11:17 AM   #156
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordvic View Post
i want to see it in it's glory before i buy. the last thing i want to do is buy one, just to find out that it's really a bulky thick ugly tablet (Though i think it looks nice from the press shots)
Hardly bulky at 192.4mm X 128.4mm X 13.4mm (7.57"x5.06"x0.53") and 402.6g (14.2oz). Perfectly average weight for a 7" tablet.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #157
charleslou
charleslou with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitcharleslou with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitcharleslou with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitcharleslou with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitcharleslou with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitcharleslou with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitcharleslou with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitcharleslou with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitcharleslou with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitcharleslou with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitcharleslou with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook HD+ & iPad 4
Thumbs up

Thanks for mentioning the discount code. Just got one from Kobo. Hopefully they will ship fast to US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Foot View Post
Just wanted to say a big ThankYou to all who have contributed to this discussion. I listened to all you had to say and just ordered a Vox. And yes, that "kobovox10" discount coupon saved me $10. Thank you dmacmart.
I was about to order a Touch to replace my original Kobo anyway so the additional $40 for the enhanced model is a no brainer. All I really lose is the 2 week of battery life and I can live with that.

Thanks again to all, this is a very helpful forum.

4Foot
charleslou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #158
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
Put my order in this morning! Lenovo A1, while I think overall to be a better tablet (sight unseen, just specs, form, etc.), does NOT have the full market as advertised. Google has confirmed this as well as a Lenovo rep in their forums, but this info has not been communicated down through the sales reps or on the website. Maybe that's why they've been pulling out? No one could guarantee/prove that my pre-ordered tablet would be Market certified/licensed, just their word, and since Google says no, and K1 owners are the ones who brought it to my attention, I can't spend that much money on someone's word.

So, I'm bought the Kobo. Saved $56 bucks, too, from the A1. Yes, I won't have as many bells and whistles and I'm a little nervous about Kobo's first tablet run, but I haven't read good things about Viewsonic or Velocity, so Kobo's open philosophy edges me over rolling back 200mhz (compared to the new V tablets and the A1). I feel more comfortable with the $189 price point, too.
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #159
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The Vox is being manufactured by Wistron--which used to be part of Acer. It's a large operation and manufactures for some of the big boys, it seems.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:30 PM   #160
Graycee
Enthusiast
Graycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle (2014)
Just placed my order for the Vox. I was looking for a tablet to replace my ipod touch for simple tasks like checking email and surfing the web, while traveling (the ipod screen is just too small). The Vox fits the bill for what I need it to do and the price is right. I am still not sold on reading on an LCD screen though, so I will probably still use my kobo touch for reading. Can't wait for my Vox to arrive.
Graycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #161
Lordvic
Connoisseur
Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.

Looks like my kobo wifi has made my buying decision for me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20111026-00032.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	480.2 KB
ID:	78191  
Old 10-26-2011, 05:55 PM   #162
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordvic View Post
Looks like my kobo wifi has made my buying decision for me
ON NO! Is it outside the one year warranty? This looks defective, not broken, right?
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:03 PM   #163
Lordvic
Connoisseur

The screen surface is perfectly normal. It was working fine this morning. Shut it off when I got to work. Put it in my laptop backpack in an empty padded area and put it away on the shelf. Walked to the train and turned it on to see that.

I'm not happy. My kobo is my #1 used... ANYTHING!
I don't watch TV, I read
I spend over an hour each way on the train reading every day.

Waiting 2 weeks or longer for kobo to replace it might drive me insane. (Or more so)

Seruiously, I have no idea how the heck I'm going to occupy myself without it as I ditched paper books over a year ago. I'm a very grumpy passenger right now
Old 10-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #164
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
How old is your Kobo WiFi, Lordvic?

Mine is almost exactly one year, and it's been doing weird things lately (like 'ghosting' the cover art after I turn it on from sleep mode).

Chances are, it will probably die the day after my warranty ends!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #165
Lordvic
Connoisseur

ya, it's about 1 year old now. I'm not sure the warranty situation either.

as for ghosting. maybe you're right that its common or something. I noticed lately some covers caused the screen to show the wrong shade of greyscale. like an all black book cover showed white and what not. I thought nothing of it.

But agian, not sure the coverage for warranty. I bought it directly from Kobo's head office here in Toronto through a "Friends and family" purchase special they had. I need to talk to my friend