Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-31-2009, 12:38 AM   #1
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
AdobeDE on Bebook

I just downloaded an epub file (Haggard, v. 16, by HarryT) and tried it on my Bebook with Lbook firmware. I was able to read it ok, but the TOC didn't seem to have any way to access it. The only way I could advance was to do a page by page advance - I tried using the Goto page no. option but this switched me into another file than the one I was reading (Haggard's trip to Cyprus). With mobi files if I press 'ok', there appears an option to 'follow link' but this is not visible with the epub, nor is there a TOC option shown by pressing the #7 key.

Perhaps I need to put back my original Bebook firmware; or maybe it's possible to install Adobe Digital Edition reader on my Bebook/Lbook firmware?
Does anyone know if this is possible, and if so, how to do it?

With HarryT switching to Epub from prc, its essential that I do something because his ebooks are so well formated and most of them are books I'd like to read!
Bob
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:25 AM   #2
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
I just downloaded an epub file (Haggard, v. 16, by HarryT) and tried it on my Bebook with Lbook firmware. I was able to read it ok, but the TOC didn't seem to have any way to access it.

Bob
I have the very greatest respect for Harry for the enormous amount of work he has done as a moderator, in preparing ebooks, and in offering helpful advice.

But I wonder if part of the problem may be that he (so far as I know) converts his ePubs through Calibre from books prepared in mobipocket prc format.

It seems to me that mobipocket's adherence to HTML standards is limited and idiosyncratic, while ePub demands strict adherence to HTML standards. And ePub has strict requirements for tables of contents. I am not at all sure that Calibre does or can correct the all deficiencies of mobipocket when converting to ePub.

This is a long winded way of saying that it may not be a hardware problem. For what it is worth I have similar problems on ny ECO reader with the TOCs in ePubs which have been converted rather than hand made, but far fewer problems on the same reader with ePubs which have been hand made.

One way of testing my hypothesis would be to find out whether there are ePub readers using different firmware which can make the TOCs in converted ePubs work.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:17 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is not how the book was made. The problem is the firmware. I don't know if it's a problem across all version of the V3 hardware or not. But it is a problem on the BeBook firmware and the Eco firmware.

ADE for Windows works and so does ADE for Sony.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

AdobeDE on Bebook

Thanks for info. I should have mentioned that the ebook I had trouble with was an omnibus with 3 volumes. The 'catalog' obtained by the no. 7 key allowed me to select which of the three volumes I wanted to read, but when in that specific volume the no. 7 key did not work with its TOC but rather went back to the TOC of the omnibus. Thus the only way to advance within a specific volume was page-by-page, or with Goto page number (but I got an error - going to the correct page but from a different volume in the omnibus). I tried a second omnibus and had the same problem with the individual volume TOCs.

The TOC seemed to work fine on single volume epubs. Thus the problem seems to reside with multivolume ebooks, those that mobi handled very well.
Bob
Old 08-31-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
This is probably due to Hanlin's ADE not following hyperlinks in ePub. The 1st level TOC is an ePub TOC, but the 2nd level is just hyperlinks on a standard page. I think 2-level ePub TOCs are possible, and would be handled by Hanlin's ADE ePub, but the lack of hyperlink capability is a serious oversight in the ADE port and I am surprised that Adobe "certified" the Hanlin port.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:13 PM   #6
bobcdy
Fanatic

AdobeDE on Bebook

Thanks Wallcraft - it looks like the only way to go to a specific chapter is by page-by-page advance.

I have Adobe Digital Editions on my PC and opened the Haggard omnibus. ADE acts the same as my Bebook - on ADE there is a 'Catalog' on the right side of the screen next to the ebook page - this showed the 3 volumes in the ebook. When I chose a specific volume using the catalog, it opened but there was no catalog accompanying the text. With ADE there seemed to be no way to go to a specific chapter in the volume, so it is no easier to read an omnibus with ADE on a PC than with my Bebook.
Bob
Old 08-31-2009, 04:24 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When you click on a specific book on the left side, you get taken to that book. Two or three pages in is an internal ToC. The internal ToC works fine with ADE for Windows and ADE on the 505. Now to make this better would have been to have a second level set of ToC under the main ToC in the external ToC. But it does work fine as is. Seems Hanlin's ADE is buggy in that it doesn't follow internal links.

I think (if I am not mistaken) that this bug is central to the V3 and clones. If so, get all the MR owners to bug the heck out of Hanlin ot get this fixed.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
bobcdy
Fanatic

Thanks JSWolf,
Thanks for the info! ADE works fine once I go to the internal TOC; all I have to do is click on the link with my mouse.

But of course with BeBook there is no touch screen and so there is no way to access those links. Perhaps (?) someday Lbook will upgrade their firmware to suitably use epub but right now epub is seriously handicapped on the Bebook.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:48 PM   #9
bobcdy
Fanatic

Epub on Bebook

I had posted a similar question about epubs on the Bebook forum, and received a surprising response. One responder indicated that he had a DRM epub that showed the 2nd level TOC for a specific volume of an omnibus, whereas another responsder indicated that he had the same results as I had with an omnibus. Both were using a Bebook reader.

These different responses imply that my problem with omnibus epubs results because they are not formatted correctly to take advantage of the 2 level TOCs, but that such formatting is possible. My downloaded omnibus epubs work fine with the 1st level TOC, but fail on the 2nd level omnibus component volume TOC.

The question is how to format an epub so that it works correctly. I develop my epubs from importing to Calibre the htm generated by Book Designer. I think that this may be what many of the MobilRead omnibus ebook makers do (?), and this doesn't seem to work. But there must be some way to get the proper formatting (perhaps an option in Calibre?). Does anyone know how to do this?
Bob
Old 08-31-2009, 07:00 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

bobcdy, the Haggard omnibus you downloaded does not have a 2nd level external ToC. The external ToC is just fine. It's not made with a 2nd level.

Isn't there a way to select multiple links on a given page with the BeBook? Can you use the 8 & 9 buttons?
Old 08-31-2009, 07:19 PM   #11
bobcdy
Fanatic

Jon,
No, after I went to the 3rd vol. of the Haggard omnibus, to its TOC, I tried everything to access it. The #7 key gives the omnibus contents (the 3 volumes) regardless of where the reading page is when the key is pressed. The 9/0 are back/forward, the 8 is increase size of font, 1-6 don't do anything when accessing an epub.

Actually, I perhaps used incorrectly terminology in referring to the volume TOC, but none the less, it must be a formatting issue causing the different behavior of epubs as outlined in my last post.
Bob
Old 08-31-2009, 07:54 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Isn't there a way to select multiple links on a given page with the BeBook?
There is a method for all (?) formats except ePub. You select "follow link" and each link on the page is numbered, then you type in the number of the link you want. This approach may not be simple to implement with the ADE SDK, but I'm sure Jinke can do it.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:39 PM   #13
bobcdy
Fanatic

Epub on Bebook

Just downloaded Jelby's epub production of Lewis Carroll's 'Sylvie and Bruno' and ran it on my Bebook. The ebook is actually composed of two separate volumes, and when the Bebook key #7 is pressed a catalog appears that shows the two volume titles with a little + beside each title. If one chooses either, the volume TOC appears. The catalog also gives options to choose the title page, and a list of the illustrations. Great!

This seems to be a perfect example of how an omnibus epub should be formatted. In addition, he did a great job with the numerous images.
Now, if only he would produce a tutorial on how he produces his epubs...
Bob
Old 09-01-2009, 02:46 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is not how the book was made. The problem is the firmware. I don't know if it's a problem across all version of the V3 hardware or not. But it is a problem on the BeBook firmware and the Eco firmware.
It does appear to be, yes. The BeBook, Hanlin V3, and Astak EZ Reader all have this problem of not supporting hyperlinks. It doesn't only affect TOCs - it also means that there's no way to access hyperlinked endnotes.

Quote:
ADE for Windows works and so does ADE for Sony.
As does the CyBook Opus.

This is, IMHO, a huge shortcoming in the Jinke implementations of ADE.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:44 AM   #15
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
Now, if only he would produce a tutorial on how he produces his epubs...
Hmm... I do it by hand, so just open it and see how it's done
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote