Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
crissman
Connoisseur
crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura H20,Kindle PW1
TItle formatting in calibre not carried over to the kindle paperwhite all the time

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to get my calibre title/author formatting to show exactly as I have it in calibre to be sent over to my kindle paperwhite

An example of my title in my calibre library:

Memory of Light - Wheel of Time Series [14]
Sanderson, Brandon & Jordan, Robert

(I have done it this way so I can see the series and book number because of the lack of collections on the paperwhite

When I send this book to my kindle it often shows up the way the book had originally been formatted in calibre before I modified it.

Example on my Kindle Paperwhite:

Memory of Light -14
Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson

As a side note: Is it possible to change the option on the kindle paperwhite to display authors as LN,FN to match what I have listed in Calibre. (I also find that sometimes all my authors on the kindle paperwhite are not always together even though the names are spelt identical?
crissman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
How are you moving the files to your Kindle? Are you using the Calibre facilities or by-passing them and using a different method?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
crissman
Connoisseur
crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

I am using the send to device option in calibre (mobi/new) with the author sort option enabled for the mobi output.

I am currently removing the files from my Kindle PW and also removing the mobi format from calibre.

I am then going to try re-convert to mobi in calibre then re-send to device to see if that fixes anything.

Last edited by crissman; 04-13-2013 at 01:54 PM. Reason: adding more info
Old 04-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you are using Send to Device, then I would expect the metadata to match what you see in Calibre. It should only vary if you are by-passing the Calibre mechanism.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
crissman
Connoisseur

I agree, but for some reason it isn't consistent. I will let you know my results of removing my books from my PW and removing the mobi format from calibre and reconverting it and re-sending and restarted my PW to see if that does anything

Thanks
Old 04-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
crissman
Connoisseur

It worked, all the authors are sorted correctly and the titles match calibre.

Thank You for your time
Old 04-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crissman View Post
(I have done it this way so I can see the series and book number because of the lack of collections on the paperwhite
Huh? The Paperwhite supports collections. I've got at least 1/2 dozen collections on mine. Are you talking about something else?
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:48 PM   #8
crissman
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Huh? The Paperwhite supports collections. I've got at least 1/2 dozen collections on mine. Are you talking about something else?
Sorry, the paperwhite does support what amazon classifies as collections, but I guess what what I would consider collections, it does not. Collections for me would be a files structure format rather then a tagging option for sorting purposes.

Example.. Creating a folder and sub-folders "author/series/book"

Basically If I wanted to create a collection with the name of the author and then inside that folder create several sub-folders which would hold individual series it cannot be done on the paperwhite.

I am a new e-reader owner and the paperwhite being my first maybe I am just asking to much from them. Not sure it is just with the paperwhite or if all readers maintain the same kind of file tagging system rather then folders within folders.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:57 PM   #9
mjt57
Connoisseur
mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle app on iPad and iPhone
Regarding collections I'd love it if I was able to see, say, the Jack Reacher collection sorted in order. When I buy them off of Amazon they don't show up like that. So, when I finish one book and want to read the next I have to go to the store (or google) to see which book's next.

I wish that I could manage that in Calibre. The books were saved off of the Paperwhite in the library and the metadata edited to reflect series numbers, but that doesn't translate back to anything useful on either my Kindle DX, PPW or the Kindle app on my iPad.
mjt57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:30 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Investigate metadata plugboards it might help you obtain your goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjt57 View Post
I wish that I could manage that in Calibre. The books were saved off of the Paperwhite in the library and the metadata edited to reflect series numbers, but that doesn't translate back to anything useful on either my Kindle DX, PPW or the Kindle app on my iPad.
How unfortunate. If I wasn't able to manage such things in calibre and have that transfer easily over to my device I would own a different device. All of the Sony devices I owned, automatic metadata / collection creation was key to their integration with calibre.

I decided I wouldn't buy another device until I was sure this integration with calibre was easily obtainable. Once I saw that Chaley (developer who largely refined the Sony integration, among other things, with calibre) and his son were creating a Android app to connect a Android device to calibre I knew this tight integration with calibre would follow. I literally decided to purchase my Nexus 7 based largely on the fact that this App was about to be developed. I wasn't disappointed.

That said I'm sure there are methods / plugins / metadata plugboards that might help you accomplish your goal.

Good Luck.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-27-2013 at 12:32 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #11
crissman
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjt57 View Post
Regarding collections I'd love it if I was able to see, say, the Jack Reacher collection sorted in order. When I buy them off of Amazon they don't show up like that. So, when I finish one book and want to read the next I have to go to the store (or google) to see which book's next.
That is exactly what my main issue was and found that the best way for me to solve it was to just enter it in the title field then reconvert the mobi file to reflect the new changes and send it to the Paperwhite.

After that I change the viewing option to list view instead of cover view then I can see the title of the book and series and series number.

Example of how it would appear on the Paperwhite in list view

Killing Floor - Jack Reacher [1]
Lee Child
Old 04-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #12
mjt57
Connoisseur
mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. However, I don't know if I can reconvert books purchased from Amazon due to DRM. But I'll give it a go.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crissman View Post
Sorry, the paperwhite does support what amazon classifies as collections, but I guess what what I would consider collections, it does not. Collections for me would be a files structure format rather then a tagging option for sorting purposes.
Collections are not what you think they are. What Amazon calls collections is what collections actually are. What you want (and will probably never get from Amazon) is a directory/subdirectory view.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-27-2013 at 09:29 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:25 AM   #14
mjt57
Connoisseur

A "directory" view is sort of what a collection looks like from a user's perspective, I s'pose. Certainly, a collection within a collection (sub-directory) would also be a handy feature. I'd group authors by high level collections then under each of them place their series.