Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 02-27-2013, 12:47 AM   #1
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
RFC: Kindle Fire HD

We got Fires at launch. My wife and especially my youngest son have put a lot of miles on their Fires. His has developed a problem with the usb port that makes it difficult to charge.

I plan to get him a new tablet and wonder how people who have graduated from the Fire to the Fire HD feel about the upgrade. I am particularly interested in the transition to the 8.9" model -- is it awesome or just too big?
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I can attest, as I am sure everyone will agree who has tried one, that the Fire HD is MILES better than the original Fire. I loved the Fire1 but the HD is SO much better. Even the Fire2 is amazingly better than the Fire1. I can't speak for the 8.9 as I don't have one, but I am sure it is wonderful. Not quite as portable, of course.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
HECK YEAH! I bought my brother the 7 HD model, and gave my dad the first gen. HUGE difference. Everything from the screen to it being so much slimmer. The surround sound is awesome too.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
No difference except size thats up to you son what he wants.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I can attest, as I am sure everyone will agree who has tried one, that the Fire HD is MILES better than the original Fire. I loved the Fire1 but the HD is SO much better. Even the Fire2 is amazingly better than the Fire1. I can't speak for the 8.9 as I don't have one, but I am sure it is wonderful. Not quite as portable, of course.
Your experiences echo mine.

To wizwor, if you will be rooting the HD, then I'd recommend springing for the 8.9. Only the lack of support for an SD card prevents it from being the perfect Android tablet.

I have the 7HD and if I knew how much better it would be than then Fire1, I would've held out for the 8.9.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. I don't plan to root the new device (no promises on the old one). I'm just not sure if the increased screen real estate justifies the additional weight and heft of the unit. My son mostly uses the Fire for games and to surf the internet. He totes it around, but not in his pocket. I think the 7" Fire HD is a little big for a pocket anyway.

WillysJeepMan, do you have an 8.9" Fire HD? Is it heavy or bulky?
Old 02-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
runtmms
Connoisseur
runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Google Nexus 4
I went from the original Fire to the 8.9" HD. I wouldn't dream of going back. I really like the bigger size, and don't think it's too big or too heavy. The screen looks a ton better, and the touchscreen is miles ahead of the original.
runtmms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
They say that size doesn't matter...except for when it does.

In this case, it's certainly a welcome upgrade and it'd be hard to go back to the original model (unless I had to...).
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
wizwor
Wizard

you guys are getting me excited. Comments on the 4g or special offers options?
Old 02-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #10
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Thanks. I don't plan to root the new device (no promises on the old one). I'm just not sure if the increased screen real estate justifies the additional weight and heft of the unit. My son mostly uses the Fire for games and to surf the internet. He totes it around, but not in his pocket. I think the 7" Fire HD is a little big for a pocket anyway.

WillysJeepMan, do you have an 8.9" Fire HD? Is it heavy or bulky?
Unfortunately, no. I only have the 7" Fire HD.

Quote:
I recommend NOT paying the $15. The special offers are not intrusive and are actually useful from time to time. Also, should you decide to root it, disabling the special offers is as simple as renaming a file.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #11
runtmms
Connoisseur
runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Google Nexus 4
Quote:
You can always start with special offers and remove them if they bother you. I didn't like them, it was worth $15 to me to remove them. Nice thing is you have options.
runtmms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #12
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I would say, if you have the money, get the bigger one. And don't worry about the special offers. I didn't really have the money for the bigger one. I got a used 7" HD. I wanted the bigger one though.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #13
misling
Zealot
misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've got the original KF and the KFHD 7". The KFHD is way better, to the point that I only have a couple apps still on the old KF (games I couldn't transfer & didn't want to start over).
I got the largest available storage space on the KFHD. I'd go for more storage before I'd go for larger screen size. To me (YMMV) the 7" size is perfect for hauling around, it fits in my purse
And I can get LOTS of games, vids, pictures, & books in the storage space.
misling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #14
wizwor
Wizard

I think 16 or 32 are big enough for games and books but not music or videos. We have a couple WI-Drives for additional storage.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:24 PM   #15
wizwor
Wizard

I bought a Kindle Fire HD 32g 8.9" w/out SO and no 4g. If you will indulge me, I'd like to brag a bit...

This is another story about how Discover Card and Staples love people like us...

I was looking at the various HD configurations this afternoon when Amazon lowered their prices. I don't know if that is a permanent price change, just for today, or an error, but I have a lot of Staples Rewards and opened a chat with them to see if Staples would give me the same price. Of course, they did. Then I had them apply my oldest Rewards and the cost to me for this $369 tablet was $15 -- well, sort ;-)

Kindle Fire HD 8.9” 32GB, Wifi
Item: 108944 Model: 53-000484

$369.00 Each

Item1 Qty. Subtotal
KINDLE FIRE HD 8.9IN WIFI 32GB
Item No.:108944Price:$299.00/each
Expected delivery:03/18/2013byUPS 1 $299.00

Subtotal:: $299.00
Delivery: FREE
Coupon1: -$187.50
Coupon2: -$50.00
Coupon3: -$40.00
Coupon4: -$6.25
Tax: $0.00

Total: $15.25

The coupons are all rewards -- checks Staples sends to me when I recycle ink or buy their products (most of which are free after rewards). $130 was for ink. I paid $0.17 each for the carts and get $2 back, so I paid $11.05 for that $130 in rewards. The rest of the rewards were from stuff I bought with gift cards from Discover cash back. I could say that the other $155 in rewards was free because it started as Discover cash back, but I could have taken 4/5 of that as cash, so in reality, only $31 was free so that $155 in rewards cost me $124. Plus I paid $15 in cash. So, I paid $150 for that 32g 8.9" Fire HD -- which is a pretty good deal. I actually bought $155 of stuff with the Staples gift cards which was free after rewards, so for that $150, I got the Fire, a lot of batteries, some paper, a bunch of storage boxes, and some plastic storage bins. Plus Duracell sent me a $20 visa gift card because I purchased so many free-after-rewards batteries, so let's say the Fire cost me $130.

So, when I clicked buy on that Fire, it was a lot like having a cigarette after sex (as best as I can remember either).