Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
Paul58
A Reader with no Reader..
Paul58 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Pocket Edition, B&N Nook
How do I reset PRS-300 to original condition?

I got the Silver PRS-300 for Christmas, I wanted the Navy Blue, but Best Buy only had Silver. My wife now wants a PRS-300 of her own, and is going to purchase a Navy Blue one from the Sony Store being as they now have $20.00 off the PRS-300s.

Before I give my Silver PRS-300 to her. I would like to return it to the original condition it was in when new, so she can load the appropriate software on her computer and strat off fresh. Any suggestions on how to do this?

Also, I'm pretty sure I have all the e-books currently on my Silver PRS-300 on my computer, but should I back up the files on my Silver PRS-300 before wiping it? How is this accomplished?

Do I need to deactivate it within ADE so I can activate the new one on my computer?

I know this is a lot of questions, but I don't want my wife to run into any issues with setting up and using the Silver Reader. Thanks for any suggestions!

Paul
Paul58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Did a little search and came up with this.....

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66722

According to sony this is how you do a hard reset on a 300 reader.

WARNING: A hard reset will erase all content on the Reader.

1. Power off the Reader.
2. On the bottom edge of the Reader, using the stylus, press the RESET button.
3. Turn on the Reader.
4. While the screen displays Opening book... , simultaneously press and hold down the down arrow of the directional button and the 0 button until the Reset All screen is displayed.

NOTE: If Opening book... does not display on the screen, charge the Reader's battery for several hours before attempting the reset process again.
5. Press the 5 button to reset the Reader.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
Paul58

Thank you! Any suggestions on de-activating it from ADE? Also, do you hold in the Reset Button as you turn it on?
Old 01-22-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Here are the steps we took when we bought another computer and another reader, *both* running Windows:

The easiest way is for you and your wife to *share* your Sony Reader and ADE accounts. Then you can share all your ebooks. You can have up to 6 (I think) devices in total, a combination of readers and computers, associated with one account)

1. Delete any unwanted eBooks from your older reader.
2. Download and install the Reader Library software to your wife's computer and authorize it with your existing Reader Library account (email address).
3. Download ADE to your wife's computer and authorize it with your existing ADE account (email address).
4. Your older reader is already authorized to your shared accounts and can now be connected to and used on your wife's computer.
5. Activate your new reader on your computer for both the Reader Library and ADE using your shared accounts and your new reader can now be connected to either computer.

If done this way, both readers should be able to be connected to both computers. You can share eBooks by connecting to each other's computers, or just re-downloading the eBook from the "joint" account.

Of course this means sharing the same credit card (unless you want to change that information with every purchase) and having any emails go to the same email account. (i.e. All SOny emails regarding purchases go to the same email account.)

*note* We did this before the latest release of the Reader Library. the latest version can now also authorize the installing computer to an existing Adobe account and I'm not sure of any implications that may have.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:17 PM   #5
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
To back up your books connect the 300 to the computer. Open up My Computer and then open up the appropriate drive. Then click on database, then click on media, then click on books. Right click on books and select copy. Then paste what you copied somewhere like your desktop. Instead of going through the hard reset routine try this instead. 1. From the Home Screen select (7) settings. Then select (6) Advanced Settings and select (2) format internal memory (this will erase all the books on your device). Then go back to the settings menu and click on (8) Restore Defaults. When you press the bookmark button the device will be set to the original defaults.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
Paul58

Wetdogeared and Madam Brohkina,

Thank you both for your help and the steps I need to accomplish to set up both eReaders on both Computers! I appreciate all the help and suggestions! We both have MacBooks, not PC's, but I think I can accomplish what you have suggested using the Mac's!