Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-16-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
ethnic / cultural fiction / biographical recommendations

I'm looking for contemporary ethnic fiction or biographical - somewhat like "The Kite Runner". I'm hoping for an easy to read style. Also, I'm hoping it might be not a new release so more affordable. Thanks in advance.
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:03 AM   #2
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
Reading Lolita In Tehran is an interesting highly readable non-fiction book about a woman who runs literature classes for women in her apartment. It is $10.50 for the e-book at the Sony store.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2009, 09:17 AM   #3
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Are you interested in books about a specific country?
For biographies, I highly recommend Dominique Lapierre and Larry Collins's Freedom at midnight, though it may not be contemporary enough for you. It is about the decolonisation and the partition of India and Pakistan, and gives an overview of the people included in this process, including Gandhi. Though it is a documentary book it is a very easy and fascinating read.

Current indian litterature offers a wide choice of interesting books. Out of the top of my head I'd cite the book which inspired the movie Slumdog Millionnaire, by Vikas Swarup (don't know the title in English, sorry). I havn't read it but heard many praises about it.
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrunk View Post
I'm looking for contemporary ethnic fiction or biographical - somewhat like "The Kite Runner". I'm hoping for an easy to read style. Also, I'm hoping it might be not a new release so more affordable. Thanks in advance.
Not sure what you're looking for so here are some suggestions:
(links are to ebookprice search site to give you the best price)
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Which is by the same author as Kite Runner

One Hundred Years Of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
This is book is considered a classic. But Marquez works are usally considered great reads. Here is FW links to his other books (link)

Here is the FW blub "he brilliant, bestselling, landmark novel that tells the story of the Buendia family, and chronicles the irreconcilable conflict between the desire for solitude and the need for love--in rich, imaginative prose that has come to define an entire genre known as "magical realism." "

Invisible Touch by Kelly Parra
This book is a contemporary work for young adults. I was really just looking for a book that might interest my daughter, this seemed interesting.

The Death Of Artemio Cruz by Carlos Fuentes considered a masterpiece by Feuntes fans.

Again the blurb.
"The novel opens with Cruz on his deathbed, and plunges us into his thoughts as he segues from the past to his increasingly disoriented present. Drawn as a tragic figure, Cruz fights bravely during the Mexican Revolution but in the process loses his idealism--and the only woman who ever loved him."

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:57 PM   #5
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
These all sound great - I think Freedom at Midnight sounds like a great start - I want to see the movie, "Slum Dog Millionaires", but the book it's based on would be even better. I enjoy learning even via fiction about different cultures. In college, I got to work in the foreign language lab where all the ESL students came through to prepare for the TOFEL tests - I miss the environment since I live near the mountains of northern Georgia :-)

And, as far as countries - India, the Far East, Arabic or Muslim countries especially. I just finished "The Good Earth" as a re-read from when I was a teenager. I loved Shogun. "A Passage to India" while not my favorite was interesting. I love the experience of being immersed in a different culture.

Last edited by mgrunk; 06-24-2009 at 09:07 PM. Reason: more details
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert