Notices

Old 04-12-2011, 02:49 AM   #1
Aurora13
Enthusiast
Aurora13 began at the beginning.

Device: IPod, Sony PRS-350
E-readers in low light

Hi,

I've heard a lot about how e-readers are great for reading when it is sunny out. I usually read in the evenings and would love to read in bed. How does an e-reader do in low light or even in the dark. (sorry if this is a silly question) Right now I read on my IPod but is hard on the eyes

I'm getting the Sony PRS-350 does anyone of experience with this reader and low light reading?

Thanks!
Christie
Aurora13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:33 AM   #2
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
You need a bedside lamp.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2011, 03:53 AM   #3
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
I don't have experience with that e-reader, but here's what I do with mine: I have an Android phone. I set my e-reading software so that the background is black and the text is grey. I also downloaded an app from the Market called Screen Filter, which allows you to set the brightness to well below the manufacturers' minimum level. It works like a charm.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:31 AM   #4
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I would say it is as good as paper books in low light, and sometimes better since you can adjust the font. Basically treat lighting for it as you would a regular book. Also hi.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:36 AM   #5
Aurora13
Enthusiast

I don't know if I understood correctly but I read somewhere on MR that you can buy a case that is lighted somehow .....I can't find the original post though....
Advert
Old 04-12-2011, 05:48 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora13 View Post
I don't know if I understood correctly but I read somewhere on MR that you can buy a case that is lighted somehow .....I can't find the original post though....
Quite a few companies make ereader covers with built-in lights:

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:31 AM   #7
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
yair! I gotta get me one of them.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:23 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I got a different reader for reading in dark surroundings. I don't like those plug-on lights. I never can seem to get the light source just right.

On my backlit devices, I do what SlowRain does, invert the colours and turn the backlight all the way down.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:34 AM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Though I have found my Kindle 3 is readable by dim light as well as in the sun I wouldn't want to read by too dim a light too much. It could result in eye strain and headaches at the least.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:45 AM   #10
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I find my reader to be a little worse than a paper book in low light, sadly.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:50 AM   #11
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Please read my other thread concerning recent innovations in micro processors and how they will effect the electronic book readers. Once these new chips are pressed into service the future readers such as the Kindle 4, Sony PRS what ever and Nook Color 2 will be much better at this then the current models, but you will need to wait until the new models hit the market.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:56 AM   #12
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
I have when the power was out been able to read comfortably on my Jetbook with the aid of just 2 candles. Being able to kick the font size up a notch certainly helps.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #13
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
As mentioned, you'll need either a cover with built in light or a bedside lamp.
Personally I have a 2W LED energy saver lamp bulb, equivalent to 15W incandescent bulb in my bedside lamp, which for my eyes produces more than enough light.
It's in Norwegian, but it is this bulb I have in use.
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:28 AM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridr View Post
They make bulbs that only allow you to read in Norwegian?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:50 AM   #15
Aurora13
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridr View Post
As mentioned, you'll need either a cover with built in light or a bedside lamp.
Personally I have a 2W LED energy saver lamp bulb, equivalent to 15W incandescent bulb in my bedside lamp, which for my eyes produces more than enough light.
Its okay, I live in Sweden and Norwegian is pretty similar
I think I'd have to go withe the cover and the built in light. Two of my kids sleep in our room with us (renovations) so a bedside light is not an option