Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Firmware Update???

Anyone hear of a date?
Come on Kobo it's time. In fact it's well past time.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
Mememememe
Connoisseur
Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiker View Post
Anyone hear of a date?
Come on Kobo it's time. In fact it's well past time.

They keep promising it, and at one time I heard "late May," but realistically, we have to understand that Canada, and now NZ, are really just the guinea pigs that Kobo/Indigo are using before they launch in the US, which is the market they covet.

The US launch date is June 17, so you can assume the firmware will be ready by then. But they'll take Canadian consumers for granted as long as possible while they ready things for the Americans.
Mememememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
marnom
Enthusiast
marnom began at the beginning.

Quote:
Danielle LeBlanc, May 26 12:14 (EDT):
Hi Mario,
Unfortunately, the software update has been pushed back to later this summer. We will inform you as to when the new update is available.
That's what they sent me...
marnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
Mememememe
Connoisseur
Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marnom View Post
Wow, what a way to treat customers. Sell them a faulty, glitch-filled product and don't even provide band-aids for months.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Later this summer? That's ridiculous. Wonder how they would feel if there was a mass return of their product???
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
DKazzed
Enthusiast
DKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Porcelain
There's nothing wrong with my Kobo, just missing a couple of features that would be nice but I can live without for now. *shrugs*
DKazzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
Mememememe
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKazzed View Post
There's nothing wrong with my Kobo, just missing a couple of features that would be nice but I can live without for now. *shrugs*
Many of them are fine, but there are a great many lemons out there. Even the customer service person I talked to last night said she'd talked to three other people that day with dead readers. That's one person on one night ... Not a good sign.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
juiceless
Enthusiast
juiceless began at the beginning.

I disagree, DKazzed. The font resize issue is definitely something wrong. On their "Reader Experience" page, the 2nd feature they hype is the ability to change font sizes.

I hope we won't be waiting until later in the summer. I'm not sure that an email support rep is particularly credible, though. I wish they would step up and post something official on their site about when we can expect fixes.
juiceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #9
DKazzed
Enthusiast
DKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Porcelain
I get most of my stuff from Kobo but a few titles from Sony Reader Store and from the Public Library haven't been an issue so far.
DKazzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:42 PM   #10
mwlcarter
Connoisseur
mwlcarter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
If they were smart they'd release an update ASAP, so that us guinea pigs would have a chance to field test it for them before they release to the U.S., giving them an opportunity to quickly come out with any needed fixes for the U.S. market.
mwlcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:59 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlcarter View Post
If they were smart they'd release an update ASAP, so that us guinea pigs would have a chance to field test it for them before they release to the U.S., giving them an opportunity to quickly come out with any needed fixes for the U.S. market.
I agree 100%. I'm afraid that if they enter the much larger market of the US with these issues, that the project will loose a lot of credibility.

Far better to get new firmware out ASAP, so with luck they could even have the new firmware in the box for the US release!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:16 AM   #12
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

plus, ya know, us Canadians are generally a lot more tolerant than our southern neighbors, especially if you emphasize the southern part.

Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:07 PM   #13
sunami88
Enthusiast
sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Uh oh... With support like that I fear Kobo won't keep the device around too long.
sunami88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:08 PM   #14
juiceless
Enthusiast
juiceless began at the beginning.

And I got this today.

"We are sorry that it is taking longer than expected to get the firmware update out to resolve the issues for you. The last update we had from our development team is that the release for that update will be in late June.

Sincerely,
The Kobo Team"

So one person is saying later in the summer, I've seen postings from people quote Kobo employees who say it will come in "days", and this person tells me late June.

I guess it'll come when it comes.
juiceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #15
mwlcarter
Connoisseur
mwlcarter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Foolishness. Better to update and have only a few unresolved issues when releasing to the U.S. (where it will be endlessly reviewed against the Kindle, Nook, and Sony) than to wait and release it full of bugs (minor though some of them may be).
mwlcarter is offline   Reply With Quote