Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
froggie731
Enthusiast
froggie731 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Talking Nook Color vs my iPad

Hi everyone! I definitely need help making a decision (something I'm terrible with, haha). I guess maybe I just need some points that I haven't thought about to help me make up my mind.

Right now I have an iPad that I read on (through the iBooks app), and it is definitely pretty (a plus to me). I love that it is back lit and that I can turn down the brightness because I am almost always a night time, in the dark reader. I only have one problem with reading on my iPad, it's heavy. I prop it up on my comforter somewhat on my chest and even then it's still a little heavy. When I saw the new Nook Color was coming out, I though that would be a perfect alternative, but I don't know if I can justify another $250 when I have a perfectly good iPad. I do use my iPad constantly for things other than reading, so it wouldn't get neglected, hehe. I do buy books from the iBooks store and I would be buying books directly from Barnes and Noble if I got the Nook Color. I think I like the ease of download and read.
Also, I don't travel so wifi is perfectly fine. The battery life on the Nook Color is ok with me too, since I am used to charging my iPad fairly regularly as it is.

So I need some help. Maybe you can give me a few reasons why I should definitely get the Nook Color...or maybe why I shouldn't, lol.

Thanks so much in advance!

-Kelli
froggie731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I fail to see the reason for a Nook Color if you have an IPad. I would imagine you can read the kids color books on the IPad using the B&N app.

I guess the idea of a more portable 7 inch e-reader could be appealing but unless you are going to be out without the IPad regularly I can't see that as a good reason.

Or you could really like gadgets and want an Nook Color and you have the extra cash to spend. If so, go for it.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
froggie731
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I fail to see the reason for a Nook Color if you have an IPad. I would imagine you can read the kids color books on the IPad using the B&N app.

I guess the idea of a more portable 7 inch e-reader could be appealing but unless you are going to be out without the IPad regularly I can't see that as a good reason.

Or you could really like gadgets and want an Nook Color and you have the extra cash to spend. If so, go for it.
Sorry, I guess I should have been more clear on why I was considering it, lol. The iPad is just a little too heavy and I'm constantly fidgeting when I'm trying to read because I always read laying down.
Thanks!
Old 11-22-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Then you'll love the nook color its portability is great. Nothing wrong with a house full of gadget goodness
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:08 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unless you really need color go for the Nook or the K3. E-ink looks great and the devices are light weight and easy to hold. And you save $100 - $150.
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 11:18 PM   #6
exvaxman
Connoisseur
exvaxman began at the beginning.

My kid has taken over my ipad. So I bought a nook color today. The ipad is better for what is it, but the nook has a better file system and can easily handle far more books. However, there needs to be another firmwre release - there are a few bugs in the system that I have come across (probably specific to me, but....)
exvaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:31 PM   #7
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Yeah, if you like the ipad (admittedly I don't) you should get an e-ink device to compliment it. Way better for reading ebooks.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:37 PM   #8
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
OP did mention that he reads in the dark a lot and likes backlit LCDs to read from.

Last edited by Grimm; 11-22-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:52 PM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
OP did mention that he reads in the dark a lot and likes backlit LCDs to read from.
I know. But you can buy a really nice headlamp for $100 to use to read in the dark. And for when you go camping. And for when the power goes out and you want to use two hands to fix the thing that caused the power to go out.

(shrugs)
Old 11-23-2010, 12:15 AM   #10
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
froggie, I think the decision is really up to you. Is $250 worth being more comfortable reading in bed? If it is and you have the money, then go for it. It sounds like the heaviness annoys you regularly.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #11
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Personally, I would go for a regular Nook. I loved the backlight while I was reading before I had a Nook, but now that I use e-ink I couldn't go back to lcd for very long. I have a little Nook light that I got at B&N for $20, and I ordered the batteries real cheap off of ebay (cause I read in bed a lot and I go through tons of batteries). Or do the same an get a Kindle3. Either device will be much lighter than the iPad or Nook Color.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:23 PM   #12
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I know. But you can buy a really nice headlamp for $100 to use to read in the dark. And for when you go camping. And for when the power goes out and you want to use two hands to fix the thing that caused the power to go out.

(shrugs)
I suppose, though I'm not really fond of laying in bed with a lamp strapped to my head. Spelunking maybe, but not bedtime reading, lol.

Last edited by Grimm; 11-23-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:53 PM   #13
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
I have an iPad and I, too, bought a NookColor. I found the iPad too heavy to carry around with me all the time and too heavy to hold up while I'm reading in bed. Like OP, I read a lot at night in the dark. Every time I move, the clip on light would move the wrong way.

With the color Nook, I don't have to worry about not having my clip on light with me all the time.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:02 PM   #14
froggie731
Enthusiast

Thanks for your help everyone!