Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 05:59 AM   #1
dilipc
dilipc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Reading Light for K3

Newbie here. Which is the best reading light for K3? Does the Octovo Solis aluminum light fit?
Thanks all....
dilipc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:13 AM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
I'm personally a big fan of the Kindle lighted cover but you may not want a cover as well.

Anyway. I can tell you that personally, I love it! The light is bright enough to light up the whole screen without being too bright and disturbing the hubby while he sleeps. Yes the light is brighter towards the top of the screen and slightly darker at the bottom of the screen - I think this would be true with most clip-on lighting. But, if that's something which would bother you then maybe the lighted cover's not for you.

It's very clever the way in which the light retracts into the cover when it isn't being used. I did used to get sick of putting my clip-on light on and off my old Kindle 2 and then either hunting for it when I needed to use it or wondering where to put it when finished. With this cover, you know the light is there ready to use at any given moment - and you don't need to hunt for batteries!

Another smart thing is that the light automatically turns off when the Kindle goes into sleep mode - thus preserving the battery of your Kindle. This was great last night when I nodded off while reading.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:19 AM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I bought the non lighted cover for my Kindle wifi. I have now ordered the lighted cover, it came on Tuesday and I love it, its so handy, and lights the screen perfectly. I wish I had ordered that cover to begin with.

Hubby likes to watch the TV in the evening with the lights off, and I can sit on the sofa next to him and read with the lighted cover, without any trouble at all.

If you haven't already bought your cover (or can return it) Iwould recommend you try the lighted cover first, before you buy a seperate cover and light
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
I'm just in the research stage as I haven't the money to purchase anything as yet, but I too am interested in book lights for the Kindle 3. I like the idea of the integrated lighted cover for the Kindle but sort of have my heart set on an Oberon leather cover - yeah, I know, so I'm planning to spend almost as much on a cover plus an after-market book light as I will spend on the Kindle 3 WiFi, but it's all play money right now anyway.

The Octovo Solis light looks nice but in this review it didn't do as well as the slightly cheaper Belkin light - http://blog.laptopmag.com/kindle-lig...s-octovo-solis - but that is only one review I checked. From what I have read the Octovo light is made specifically for the Kindle 2; the KIndle 3 is thinner than its predecessor so I don't think the light will fit. So far there is nothing on the Octovo site indicating that they are planning to make a book light for the Kindle 3.

I'm sure that someone here who actually has an after market book light for their Kindle 3 will post in this thread. Otherwise, maybe Amazon's lighted cover is indeed the way to go.

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:25 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Another vote here for the lighted cover - it works extremely well, and has the incredibly useful feature (which no "external" light can have) that it turns off when you - and your Kindle - fall asleep.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
[QUOTE=OakIris;1112338]

I'm sure that someone here who actually has an after market book light for their Kindle 3 will post in this thread. Otherwise, maybe Amazon's lighted cover is indeed the way to go.

Holly[/QUOTE

I bought the lighted cover even before I ordered the kindle, based on reviews here.

Still waiting for the k3, but the cover is here, and its really an improvement over the original. Very lightweight, even with the light, feels nice and the light is nicely built in, no bulk.

Have you looked at the neat pics?

http://www.amazon.com/Lighted-Leathe...5D0VDZ0P3F021D
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
plantoschka
Connoisseur
plantoschka doesn't litterplantoschka doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Still would be nice to read something about actual Reading Lights and not the Lighted Cover.

I already own the normal cover and won't buy the lighted one cause it's too expensive.
plantoschka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:36 PM   #8
jimplasticguy
jimplasticguy began at the beginning.

Device: None
My wife just picked up the Capstone E-book lite for me. I like it very much. I first read it blogged about here: http://www.simplyparticular.com/2010...ption-for.html

We could only find it at target, but I just googled and it is being sold on ebay for less than half what we paid for it.
It stretches all the way across the K3 top, so it provides a nice sheet of light, about page width. As is the case with all lights that I have used, it takes some fiddling to get the light just right for reading in your favorite position. The light rotates about two axis, so there is quite a bit of adjustment possible.
What I wondered before we picked it up was how well it would move to the thinner device. The piece that holds it to your reader actually pulls out and has click-stops, so you just click it into the right thickness and it slides right on.

I like it a lot. I am not sure why there are no good internet channels other than e-bay selling it yet. Possibly an exclusivity with Target.

Jim
jimplasticguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantoschka View Post
Still would be nice to read something about actual Reading Lights and not the Lighted Cover.

I already own the normal cover and won't buy the lighted one cause it's too expensive.
Seriously? By the time you buy an external light, the price difference would be minimal....and would add much more weight to your device.

There have been numerous threads on different clip on lights......do a search here, or check on Amazon.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:57 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimplasticguy View Post
My wife just picked up the Capstone E-book lite for me. I like it very much. I first read it blogged about here: http://www.simplyparticular.com/2010...ption-for.html

We could only find it at target, but I just googled and it is being sold on ebay for less than half what we paid for it.
It stretches all the way across the K3 top, so it provides a nice sheet of light, about page width. As is the case with all lights that I have used, it takes some fiddling to get the light just right for reading in your favorite position. The light rotates about two axis, so there is quite a bit of adjustment possible.
What I wondered before we picked it up was how well it would move to the thinner device. The piece that holds it to your reader actually pulls out and has click-stops, so you just click it into the right thickness and it slides right on.

I like it a lot. I am not sure why there are no good internet channels other than e-bay selling it yet. Possibly an exclusivity with Target.

Jim
I'm glad you are happy with your light, but to me it just looks way too bulky obtrusive.

Isn't it wonderful there are so many options out there?
Old 09-16-2010, 08:31 PM   #11
jimplasticguy

Quote:
Isn't it wonderful there are so many options out there?
Agreed. Choices are good and opinions are like... Well, you know the saying. Everybody has one.

I can completely overlook the light disagreement though, as I see that you have good taste in other things that I have owned and loved.
-Kindle 1 - Check
-Asus 1000HE - Check
-Kindle 3 - Check
-Lived in the desert (Dugway Utah) - Check
-Whats that on your picture?... Abba! - Check!! (Loved it as a kid in the 70's, never got over it, much to my son's dismay)

Jim
Old 09-16-2010, 08:32 PM   #12
dilipc
dilipc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Thanks all. I wish I too had bought the lighted cover. Now I'm stuck with the 39 dollar cover and no light.
dilipc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimplasticguy View Post
Agreed. Choices are good and opinions are like... Well, you know the saying. Everybody has one.

I can completely overlook the light disagreement though, as I see that you have good taste in other things that I have owned and loved.
-Kindle 1 - Check
-Asus 1000HE - Check
-Kindle 3 - Check
-Lived in the desert (Dugway Utah) - Check
-Whats that on your picture?... Abba! - Check!! (Loved it as a kid in the 70's, never got over it, much to my son's dismay)

Jim
Thanks!

(sshhh.......be very very quiet about abba......there are those on this board that would horsewhip us for those opinions!)

Now.......I am having a hard time relating your desert to mine....is the terrain the same? What is your altitude?
Old 09-16-2010, 08:51 PM   #14
jimplasticguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Thanks!

(sshhh.......be very very quiet about abba......there are those on this board that would horsewhip us for those opinions!)

Now.......I am having a hard time relating your desert to mine....is the terrain the same? What is your altitude?
Well, I haven't been there for years. You can google map it on the satellite view, but I think some of the things may be pretty smudged out due to sensitivity. It was a military gig. And if you went WAY west from Dugway on Stark Rd (still on the Army post), you would get out to where I spent my workday. Only way out of Dugway was through Johnson's pass, or Skull Valley. either way, it was a 50 mile or so trip to civilization. Those were the days.

Jim
Old 09-16-2010, 10:09 PM   #15
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I have transitioned from a K1 -- with an m-Edge Executive cover and illuminator light -- to a K3. I have not purchased a cover for the K3 yet. Trying to decide between the Amazon cover, which I assume is a bit heavy, and a new m-Edge. Since I already have the illuminator light, I was thinking I might like a cover with a zipper, so I was thinking about the Capital Jacket, if it ever appears. Or I could get a new Executive Jacket.... I just can't decide. The illuminator is an OK light, particularly now that the screen is lighter in color.

Still, the Amazon cover is appealing. On the other hand, I am worried about the hinge system in the long run, since I hope to keep this kindle for longer than 2 years.

What to do....what to do....
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote