Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 02-17-2007, 11:20 AM   #1
electragician
electragician is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo WiFi, PC, CR-48 ChromeOS laptop
Plucker Question

I don't currently use Plucker, but I'd like to give it a try again. I have searched the forums, but I haven't been able to find any posts about the issue that made me stop using it, the last time I tried it out.

The last time I tried Plucker, it would always show the last line of text from the previous "page", when you went to the next page. While I can understand that this might be desirable behavior for some people, it's not for me.

Is there anyway around this in the default Palm Plucker Reader? Is there a hacked / user modified version of the Plucker reader for Palm OS devices out there that does this?

I really like the idea of the Plucker format, and being able to pull documents from the web and read them, but I'd rather not use it, than to see lines of text that I've already read, every time I page down.

Perhaps I'm just trying to use Plucker for something it's not (an ebook reader, as opposed to offline web browser). Any suggestions or work arounds?
electragician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:25 AM   #2
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank
DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Plucker actually is not page-oriented. That is, it treats the document like one long "page" that you simply scroll down, like you would with a web browser. And, like a browser, what I typically see on my TX is a partially-hidden line at the bottom of the page, that becomes fully visible at the top after I page down. There is, of course, some overlap from one "screenful" to the next, and that must be what you were experiencing. In your case, it must have worked out to be exactly one line.

That's all a very long way of saying that there's really nothing you can do about it. However, if you have a different device than you did when you last tried Plucker, the rendering may be better on it than your old device. Since it's free, why not give it a shot?

I agree with you, in that repeating the line at the top is annoying, which is why I prefer page-oriented readers. But some page-oriented readers do that intentionally. Some people prefer that, though I can't imagine why. I'm just glad that the one reader I use that has the feature makes it optional.
DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2007, 06:38 AM   #3
electragician
electragician is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo WiFi, PC, CR-48 ChromeOS laptop
Ah, thanks for the well written explanation. I still don't care for reading the same line twice, but now at least I can understand why the program does it.
electragician is offline   Reply With Quote