Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-10-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
LessPaul
Connoisseur
LessPaul doesn't litterLessPaul doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021 / PC / iPad
What ereader hardware "best" with Calibre?

I have been using Calibre to organize my library in anticipation of asking for a new eReader for Christmas. Currently most of the reading I do is in Mobi format using Mobipocket Reader my Netbook and/or Centro cell phone. I have no overt loyalty to the Mobi format. I'm happy to convert to ePub etc (thus my selection of Calibre as the tool of choice).

However, I lust for a "real" ebook reader. My desires and needs are (not in any order of importance) as follow:

- Compact size
- Dictionary support
- Supports multiple ebook formats.
- I'm not very worried about PDF support.
I find it of questionable value on a small screened
device and usually convert to something reflowable.
- Compatible with 64bit Windows 7
- Compatible with Calibre
- 10+ hours battery life.

As I write this my gut feeling favors (in order) the upcoming Irex from Best Buy, a Sony, or the newest (Europe-friendly) Kindle.

Last edited by LessPaul; 10-10-2009 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Clarification
LessPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by LessPaul View Post
- Compact size
How compact? The Sony 300, BeBook Mini, and the Cybook Opus are the three smallest I know of that calibre supports.

Quote:
- Dictionary support
You're going to need a MOBI device.

Quote:
Any particular reason? You can just convert to the supported formats.

Quote:
Pretty much every device calibre supports that is a dedicated ereader except possibly the PRS-500.

Quote:
As I write this my gut feeling favors (in order) the upcoming Irex from Best Buy, a Sony, or the newest (Europe-friendly) Kindle.
The upcoming IRex is not yet supported by calibre. The Europe-friendly Kindle might have different device ids so I can't say if it will work without adding support. However, both being based on existing readers should be very easy to get support.

The Sony is supported right now. The two big things on your list are size and dictionary. If you want the 5" models I would go with the Sony unless you need dictionary support then the Cybook Opus. However, do be warned the Bookeen is not the best when it comes to support or releasing firmware updates.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
- Compact size
Depends on what's compact to you. For 5" devices you have the Opus, Sony 300 or PocketPro(BeBook Mini/Hanlin v5). Not sure if Jetbook is supported or not, but I think so.

For 6" devices there's the Sony 600, 505, 700, EZ Reader Basic (BeBook/Hanlin v3/etc.), Gen 3, Kindle 1 & 2 (less compact because of keyboard) and others

Quote:
- Dictionary support
Sony 600, Gen 3 w/Mobi, Kindles

Quote:
Well the only ones that support a whole bunch of formats are the Jinke devices (EZ Readers, BeBooks, Hanlins, etc), but a lot of the formats aren't supported all that well. Not sure on Jetbooks format support.

Quote:
Should be just about anything you choose AFAIK. Kovid is usually good about adding support for new readers as they come out too.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Well the only ones that support a whole bunch of formats are the Jinke devices.
Depend on your defintion of "a whole bunch" but I'd add the Sony's in there, as they natively support ePub, LRF/LRX, PDF, RTF & TXT.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote