Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-01-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
2tink8
2tink8 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Up to date selection of Fiction books

besides the Sony E-book Store?

I've had my Sony PRS-505 for a few months now, and I am starting to hate it. I can't find any interesting fiction books on the Sony Store that I want to read. I'm looking for books that aren't old, whose plots took place in modern times, maybe romantic, vampire plots. I've seen the threads and checked in the mobile read thread where other books are listed and places to get books, but I can't find anything newer in the lists or on the website.

Any ideas? Sorry, if this isn't the right thread, I'm new.
2tink8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Hello 2tink8 - welcome to Mobileread, it's a pleasure to meet you.

Have you checked the Book Stores page in the Wiki?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Two of the more popular ebooks stores are fictionwise and booksonboard.

Also, in you live in the U.S., did you know that you can borrow ebooks from the library and read them on your Sony 505?

Check your local library to see if they have pdf ebooks available for download. If your library does not offer ebooks then look into a NYPL card ($100 per year) or a DCPL card (temporary for 45 days).

Welcome to mobileread and let us know any other questions you may have. MR is a very helpful community with lots of answers for your ebook needs.

Adam
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:45 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There are lots of possible sites, but Books on Board in the US and WHSmith eBooks in the UK are good starting points. Buy Adobe ePub (1st choice) or Adobe PDF (perhaps called Adobe Digital Editions). These ebooks will work "as is" on your PRS-505, although PDF isn't a good ebook format and the PDFs will have some reflow issues.

If you are willing to strip DRM (encryption) you can buy other ebook formats, and that may allow a slightly wider selection of ebooks, but Adobe has a wide selection if you don't mind the PDFs.

A 3rd book store to look at is FictionWise, and here I am particularly thinking of their DRM-free multi-format ebooks (which include LRF for the PRS-505). These include a lot of romantic/vampire plots, and they are not always available from other sources.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:55 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"romantic vampire books"????

That's a new one on me!

FW have a lot of pretty wierd stuff. That might be a good place to try.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I think the Stephanie Meyer books would fall under romantic vampire.

The only other I can think of is Christopher Moore's You Suck: A Love Story
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
A lot of the more recent vampire books could be considered 'romance,' even the Anita Blake stories have a romantic side... well in the first few books then it goes more towards erotic... but I'm you get what I was trying to say.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:10 AM   #8
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
I use two library systems for pdf books, I have bought 2 books the sony website (so far), I'm considering buying 3 books from BooksOnBoard, and I've been trying to find the ebooks on the Borders website, but I can't seem to find them. Any suggestions??

I'm always looking for more places to check out. I bookmarked that wiki page earlier and will go back and check out all those sites.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:44 AM   #9
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"romantic vampire books"????

That's a new one on me!
Oh, Harry, Harry,

It's obvious you don't visit the "romance" aisle in the bookstore.

In fact, "romantic vampires" are an sooooo yesterday.

It's all about "romantic demons" these days.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:41 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Oh, Harry, Harry,

It's obvious you don't visit the "romance" aisle in the bookstore.

In fact, "romantic vampires" are an sooooo yesterday.

It's all about "romantic demons" these days.
Strangely, I seem to have overlooked that particular plot element in my favourite author, Charles Dickens .
Old 04-03-2009, 03:53 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Strangely, I seem to have overlooked that particular plot element in my favourite author, Charles Dickens .
I thought Bleak House was all about Vampires. That's why I have yet to read it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:18 PM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
For a lot of very new, very edgy writing, try http://www.bookviewcafe.com/

Book View Cafe offers lots of free books by new-ish but previously published authors.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #13
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tink8 View Post
besides the Sony E-book Store?

I've had my Sony PRS-505 for a few months now, and I am starting to hate it. I can't find any interesting fiction books on the Sony Store that I want to read. I'm looking for books that aren't old, whose plots took place in modern times, maybe romantic, vampire plots. I've seen the threads and checked in the mobile read thread where other books are listed and places to get books, but I can't find anything newer in the lists or on the website.

Any ideas? Sorry, if this isn't the right thread, I'm new.
Here's a couple from Feedbooks (in multiple formats and completely free!)

Angel Falling Softly - The suspenseful tale of an unlikely friendship. The younger of Rachel Forsythe's two daughters is dying of cancer. Milada Daranyi, chief investment officer at Daranyi Enterprises International, has come to Utah to finalize the takeover of a medical technology company. When a chance encounter brings them together, Rachel makes an unexpected and very dangerous discovery. Milada is a vampire, and possibly the only person in the world who can save Rachel's daughter.

Mortal Ghost -It's a fiery hot summer, and sixteen-year-old Jesse Wright is on the run. An oddly gifted boy, he arrives in a new city where the direction of his life is about to change. He's hungry and lonely and desperate - and beset by visions of a stranger who is being brutally tortured. And then there are Jesse's own memories of a fire ...

Hope they might be of interest
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:20 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I thought you were kidding about romantic vampire books - they really do exist!
Old 04-04-2009, 04:57 AM   #15
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Have you tried Harlequin's ebook store? I'm pretty sure they have some vampire type books and I know they frequently offer free books.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote