Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-20-2022, 12:09 PM   #46
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
Some readers strongly dislike books where animals suffer, even if it's not a big part of the plot. Others dislike swearing, or explicit sex, or explicit violence, or bad things happening to children. Content warnings help readers pick books that are to their taste.
Now, that kind of content warning would help. I just finished a charming book that featured a wonderful dog; while the dog is not the focus of the story, he got into a couple of dicey situations where I was thinking, Oh no, oh no. But the dog was OK.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 12:29 PM   #47
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Now, that kind of content warning would help. I just finished a charming book that featured a wonderful dog; while the dog is not the focus of the story, he got into a couple of dicey situations where I was thinking, Oh no, oh no. But the dog was OK.
Yeah. I cannot stand animal suffering/abuse in fiction even in smallest amounts, that's an instant turn-off. So much so that I no longer even want to read any books with animal characters at all. I've been known to put an otherwise excellent book aside forever when I came upon a scene in which a pet was abused and killed (the plot took place in the 16th century and those times were not known for nice treatment of animals, of course. Still, I just can't read about it, no matter how historically truthful).

Otherwise I don't have any particular triggers, but graphic torture scenes are not my cup of tea, even if it's adult humans torturing other adult humans. It just turns my stomach. And I've read some really detailed descriptions of torture over the years. Still horrible.

Last edited by Sirtel; 08-20-2022 at 12:32 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2022, 01:29 PM   #48
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But to be able to answer any of these question/issues, you'd have to see when the book was written to see if it was written before, after, or during lockdown even if the book does take place during Covid.
The degree and timing of lockdown varied from place to place, as did degree of compliance.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 01:33 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
The degree and timing of lockdown varied from place to place, as did degree of compliance.
But if the book starts in early 2020 before lockdown, and goes to at least June 2020, I would say yes it takes place during Covid.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 03:19 PM   #50
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I remember after September 11th reading about how TV shows set in New York City handled it. I think NYPD Blue at least referenced it in some way since it was a drama about cops, while Friends, as a sitcom, did not address it at all.

I could imagine authors handling Covid similarly - the book I returned was from a series about police investigations so the author probably wanted to be realistic by including Covid. But perhaps someone writing cozy mysteries or small-town romance might avoid it to keep the feel-good vibe going.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2022, 06:38 PM   #51
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Here's an example of an author (a golfer, no less) exploiting the Covid-19 crisis:

https://www.amazon.com/Moses-Predict...ustomerReviews

One review is funny, but the rest seem to have been written by friends of Kermit.

Now, writers are supposed to anticipate large scale disasters. Notwithstanding Dean Koontz's novel, The Eyes of Darkness, it appears that movies and video games (The Division) got the jump on books. We'll probably see some retrospective novels in the next three years. That's fine too, with Lawrence Block covering the story from the NYC viewpoint.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 06:42 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
Here's an example of an author (a golfer, no less) exploiting the Covid-19 crisis:

One review is funny, but the rest seem to have been written by friends of Kermit.

Now, writers are supposed to anticipate large scale disasters. Notwithstanding Dean Koontz's novel, The Eyes of Darkness, it appears that movies and video games (The Division) got the jump on books. We'll probably see some retrospective novels in the next three years. That's fine too, with Lawrence Block covering the story from the NYC viewpoint.
Looking at the cover and reading the blurb, this is a 100% NO WAY!
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 12:19 AM   #53
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
This is why doesthedogdie.com is a thing.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 08:57 AM   #54
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post

But that's someone's self-published out-there theory, not a novel. It's easy to call that exploitation, but it's vastly different from a novelist incorporating covid as part of a plot.
Old 08-21-2022, 09:24 AM   #55
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
This is why doesthedogdie.com is a thing.
I never heard of it before. In looking at it, I don't think it would be valuable to me. I searched for the book I referred to in my earlier comment, and there's a list of potentially upsetting items that, yes, are included in the book, but because I've read the book, I know most of them were mentioned in passing and were not graphic in any way. Context matters--at least for me. This list would put me off reading anything but cereal boxes.
Old 08-21-2022, 11:20 AM   #56
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yeah. I cannot stand animal suffering/abuse in fiction even in smallest amounts, that's an instant turn-off. So much so that I no longer even want to read any books with animal characters at all.
WARNING
Peter Rabbit's father. (Beatrix Potter)
Busy Town. (Richard Scarry)
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 12:03 PM   #57
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
As an example, John Scalzi did the covid thing in "The Kaiju Preservation Society". It came up by page two or three of the book IIRC. That immediately alerted me that this may not be the book for me. But luckily, not a big deal was made of it and it was not central to the plot and thus ruinous of the book. Just a casual mention. But so close to the start of the book - that was a bit of a slip-up by the author I think.

I did enjoy the book however. Of similar concern to me was the they/them-ness of one of the characters. I don't really care what people call themselves. But being an older individual, I associate they/them with plural, and it shocks me right out of the story to see an individual referred to in the plural. My brain can't help but think, "Doesn't this author know the basics of the English language?"

Every time I ran into a covid or a they/them reference in the book, it pulled me right out of the imaginative world of the story, and into the things happening in the real world. There goes the escapism of the story, and I'm right back into current events. For me, this destroys the story. If done too often, or too preachy, the book gets abandoned.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 02:03 PM   #58
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
WARNING
Peter Rabbit's father. (Beatrix Potter)
Busy Town. (Richard Scarry)
Watership Down, more bunnies dying.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 05:48 AM   #59
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I read the Orphan Collector by Ellen Marie Wiseman the year the pandemic hit. It’s a historical fictional account of the Spanish Flu. It was a eerie read. Timing was weird too given she had to have started the book before CoVID.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 08:28 AM   #60
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I read the Orphan Collector by Ellen Marie Wiseman the year the pandemic hit. It’s a historical fictional account of the Spanish Flu. It was a eerie read. Timing was weird too given she had to have started the book before CoVID.
I saw a youtube video some time ago, that was about the Spanish Flu. And it ended with: something like this could happen again in the future (or something in that line). Publish date of that video? December 2019.... That was eerie!

About the OP: I almost never read books that take place in the here and now. So, any books that I'd read now would take place in the future and they might reference it. But would I read a fiction book set during that period if I read those kind of books? Yes. Simply because I love to read/hear stories about how others got through that time.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote