Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-29-2011, 10:46 AM   #16
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Not exactly military, but what about Ender's Game?
Ooh, good call. I second the vote for Ender's Game.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:37 AM   #17
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Ebookfan View Post
At the moment even a 1:10 reading to video game ratio would be an improvement. He does quite enjoy Military fiction ranging from WW II to present. He also really enjoyed a couple non fiction accounts written by young soldiers of their experiences during WW II so non fiction is not out of the question. Right now he is starting a series Andy McNab has for young adults so I suppose recommendations along those lines would be what I am looking for.
It sounds like he reads more than I did as a Kid. I have a 15 yr old and his computer time is high, but he enjoys reading too. I bought him a 5 inch Sony ereader a couple of years back that he takes to school with him every day. He reads on the bus to or from school, during breaks at school, traveling to and from places and when he goes to bed. All of these are times or places where computer time is not an option.

So even though I see him mostly (hours on end) playing computer games, watching videos, reading forums, Sykping with his friends or 2 to 3 of these items at once, he never leaves home without his ereader.

Off the top of my head he has read the following (some multiple times):

The Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling
Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan
The Redwall series by Brian Jacques
The 6 Halo books by Eric Nylund(3), William C. Dietz(1), Joseph Staten(1), & Tobias S. Buckell(1).
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams
The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny
A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny
Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan

He tried to read Artemis Fowl but could never make it past the first few chapters, just wasn't his cup of tea.

Some of these he was introduced to at school then sought them out, others he ran across while on the computer and others I mentioned to him when he asked for a suggestion.

I mention these because he loves to watch the War documentaries from all ages and thoroughly enjoys the topic, yet he reads virtually anything.

I would second Starship Troopers (a much better book than a movie) this was to be Robert Heinlein's 13th book in what are referred to has his Juvenilles Collection that Scribner's published between 1947 and 1958, but Scribner's rejected it in 1959. He took it elsewhere and it won the Hugo Award for Best Novel in 1960.

Also I think Ender's Game (another award winner, both the Nebula 1985 and Hugo 1986 awards for best Novel) is an excellent choice.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert