Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #61
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Ran across this while googling for the "Fuzzy" books in anticipation of Fuzzy Nation:

http://down.4dots.com/30100/Terro-Hu...m%20Piper.epub

(From this thread.)

Haven't read them yet, but I'd guess that they probably pretty "clean."
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:18 AM   #62
rhmorrison
Connoisseur
rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle 3 (WLAN) & hp Jornada 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Battlefield Earth possibly? I don't recall anything overtly sexual or any rough dialog, but it's been a few years since I read it. Nor do I remember any specific agenda. It really does remind of the old-fashioned 1950s style, with lots of familiar tropes. But you do have to get past the whole "Founder of Scientology" thing first.

Bonus, Kindle edition is only $3.82. I might buy it just to reread it again.
I just did due to the price.

A great book if you ignore the authors prelude on how great he is (I do agree with him on some the aspects of what make good science fiction) and aren't aware of some the Scientology references in the book (which I wasn't the first couple of times I read the book).
rhmorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #63
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Have you read Anne McCaffrey's Dragon books? They are more fantasy in flavor than SF, though but I think they otherwise meet your criteria.
They have nasty secksy times and homosexuality that I'm not sure the OP would appreciate. Maybe the Dragon Singer series would be better as they are more juvenile.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #64
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
The Tripods trilogy by John Christopher would suit you I think. It is Young Adult, but is amazingly written. Start with the White Mountains, not the prequel that was written later. It has a very innocent, optimistic tone that is sure to please.
I enjoyed reading these when my son did. Great adventure stories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post
<snip>

Another very classic and, at the same time, new series is the Solar Clipper Trader Tales by Nathan Lowell. Two volumes are available at Amazon and elsewhere at around $5 and he has many more in the pipeline.

Edit: Quarter Share and Half Share are now out, Full Share is coming out in the next couple of months. http://solarclipper.com/
I caught these when the author read them and put them out as audio books. I'm not sure what changes were made for the print books, but I really enjoyed listening to the story of life aboard ship and the growth of the characters.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #65
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
The next ebook in the Solar Clipper Trader Tales by Nathan Lowell is out!

Full Share

http://www.amazon.com/Share-Solar-Cl...816261&sr=1-12

If anything it is even better than the first two. $4.95 and DRM free!

Without a doubt the best new Science Fiction series I have read in years.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...qid=1305848302

IMHO of course. If you are looking for military sci fi you will have to look elsewhere.

(All but the first ebook are DRM free)

Last edited by NormHart; 05-20-2011 at 08:35 AM.
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:37 AM   #66
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Someone at Baen Books was kind enough to point out to me that Ridan has these ebooks available on their site in multiple formats.

http://www.ridanpublishing.com/nathanlowell.html

And they are currently on sale for $3.99

(Paypal only atm)
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:06 AM   #67
V.W. Singer
Enthusiast
V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: ppc
How about Andre Norton? Her works are classic SF and squeaky clean. A number of them are available at Project Gutenberg.
V.W. Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #68
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I don't think anyone has mentioned the Science Fiction Bookshelf in Project Gutenberg. You can pick up free e-copies of a good range of excellent science fiction here. Almost all of H.Beam Piper is here and a good bit of Randall Garrett, Tom Godwin, Weinbaum. H.G.Wells, George Smith, Murray Leinster, Fritz Leiber, Andre Norton{mentioned above} Burroughs and Fontenay--to mention only a few.

It's a sci-fi goldmine and worth exploring.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 05-25-2011 at 08:25 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote