Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Les Misérables

Going to start Les Misérables soon and wondered why in the Kindle version words are displayed as this 'D----' for Digne. It also happens again with 'B------' for Brignolles.

Any reason why this is? And also, they've released a 50p Kindle version on Amazon. Is that to rake money in off the back of the film?
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I have read somewhere that the names are omitted to convey the impression that the people and events are real and it would be scandalous to reveal the exact places and identities.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
That "D---" is a standard "trope" of writing of that time. It ranges from Dickens to Tolstoy...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
What LovesMac said.

What translation did you choose? I've read Lee Fahnestock and Norman McAfee's translation the first time I read it back in high school.

After watching the recent movie I want to reread it and chose the Norman Denny translation, which can be found on the kindle for $2.99.

I don't know what the 50p one is that you mention, but if it's Wilbour or Hapgood those should be public domain and thus free, don't pay.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:49 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
That "D---" is a standard "trope" of writing of that time. It ranges from Dickens to Tolstoy...
It goes back a lot earlier. Jane Austen does it a lot. Eg in "Pride and Prejudice", the militia regiment that Wickam is a member of is always referred to as the "-----shire" militia.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:27 AM   #6
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
What LovesMac said.

What translation did you choose? I've read Lee Fahnestock and Norman McAfee's translation the first time I read it back in high school.

After watching the recent movie I want to reread it and chose the Norman Denny translation, which can be found on the kindle for $2.99.

I don't know what the 50p one is that you mention, but if it's Wilbour or Hapgood those should be public domain and thus free, don't pay.
I believe it's Hapgood, which looks exactly the same version as the free one on Amazon but the 50p version seems to display the words instead of 'D----' and 'B-----'.

Which translation is the best?

Last edited by stop__dreaming; 01-21-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Denny seems to be the only to respect the fact that grammatical structure should be changed to reflect the differences between the French and English languages. The other translations read like Henry James with long elliptical sentences. Whether that is an artifact of the translation or a key attribute of Hugo's style... Your personal opinion on that question will decide what you think is best. I don't know how the modern translations compare to the classics aside from that issue... But the English language hasn't changed in that time so I doubt that it matters.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #8
stop__dreaming
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
But the English language hasn't changed in that time so I doubt that it matters.
Okay. Thanks

I may opt to pay the 50p version. Call me a snob, but I think I'll find it irritating if I find words missing i.e 'D----'.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stop__dreaming View Post
I may opt to pay the 50p version. Call me a snob, but I think I'll find it irritating if I find words missing i.e 'D----'.
Are you saying that these words are not represented thus in the French original?
Old 01-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
stop__dreaming
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are you saying that these words are not represented thus in the French original?
No idea. Every version I've seen, besides the free Kindle one, display it as Dignes and Brignolles.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Can you give an example of where the word occurs, and I'll look in the original.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #12
stop__dreaming
Addict

Quote:
Can you give an example of where the word occurs, and I'll look in the original.
Fantine - First chapter called 'Myriel'.

"In 1815, M. Charles-Francois Bienvenu Myriel was bishop of D-- He was an old man of above seventy-five years of age; he had occupied the see of D-- since 1806."

If you click preview of the free Kindle version of Amazon, you'll see it again and again on various paragraphs.

Thanks for looking!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stop__dreaming View Post
Fantine - First chapter called 'Myriel'.

"In 1815, M. Charles-Francois Bienvenu Myriel was bishop of D-- He was an old man of above seventy-five years of age; he had occupied the see of D-- since 1806."

If you click preview of the free Kindle version of Amazon, you'll see it again and again on various paragraphs.

Thanks for looking!
It is in full in the original:

Quote:
En 1815, M. Charles-François-Bienvenu Myriel était évêque de Digne. C'était un vieillard d'environ soixante-quinze ans; il occupait le siège de Digne depuis 1806.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #14
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
I tried to read this but discontinued in the middle of 3rd volume
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #15
stop__dreaming
Addict

Quote:
It is in full in the original:
How strange. I won't be using the free version then.

Thank you