Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-14-2014, 12:18 AM   #31
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Matthew McConaughey & Ewan Mcgregor would both be good choices but it turns out that Matt Damon is in talks to star in it which works for me too
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=116970
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:54 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I recently finished this book, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2014, 08:47 AM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I think Weir did a masterful job of balancing the obstacles. It would have been very easy to ruin the narrative by making things too easy/hard for the protag in my opinion. The mix of minor triumphs and failures along with the major variety kept the suspension of disbelief intact (I don't really care if "the numbers" don't work with regard to actual physics). A wonderful, engaging juggling act.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #34
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I think Tom Cruise would be a good fit for the role.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:35 AM   #35
badgerboy
Wannabe
badgerboy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD+, Galaxy S3, PC
I really ought to stop reading the recommendations forum. It always, always costs me money!

This time though I don't mind. I bought "The Martian"yesterday following everyones recommendation, and finished the book at 2am this morning. Excellent book, couldn't put it down (turn it off?)
badgerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2014, 07:37 PM   #36
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
Just finished "The Martian" and have to agree that it was a very good read. I stayed up very late last night finishing it. I got on loan from the local library, but had to read it on my Nook HD+ rather than the Kindle DX, as it was an e-pub.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:09 PM   #37
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopyFrood View Post
Just finished "The Martian" and have to agree that it was a very good read. I stayed up very late last night finishing it. I got on loan from the local library, but had to read it on my Nook HD+ rather than the Kindle DX, as it was an e-pub.
I've had this one on my wishlist for a while and I didn't realize that overdrive had it.
You just saved me $10.
peachiekene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #38
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
Always glad to help someone save a buck.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:07 PM   #39
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachiekene View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopyFrood View Post
I've had this one on my wishlist for a while and I didn't realize that overdrive had it.
You just saved me $10.
I didn't realize that either so it is now on my reserved list. I read the original indie version but want to compare it to this version.

Thanks HoopyFrood!
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:45 PM   #40
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I get emails from "Sword and Laser" on the GoodReads forum. They chose "The Martin" as this months bookclub read.

When I read the description - it reminded me of an old black-and-white SciFi movie called "Robinson Crusoe on Mars". (Yes - I spent a lot of Saturday Nights watching Creature Features) But in the movie - he has a monkey. That makes it totally different from the book.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058530/?ref_=nv_sr_2
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:14 PM   #41
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
Great book! I could see the movie as I read. Would recommend for anyone.
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:05 AM   #42
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
Gotta agree with everyone's recommendations about this book. I've just finished the Earc of Monster Hunter: Nemesis and was looking for a quick read before the next Dresden files book is released and realized I had purchased this one. I'm about a third of the way through and it's great!

As far as possible actors to portray this role in a movie or on TV, Nathan Fillion comes to mind. Of course, Mr. Fillion has....err....shall we say....filled out in the past few years? If he could get back to Pre-Castle build, I think he'd be perfect for the role.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:25 AM   #43
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
I too finished The Martian last week and count myself among those who thoroughly enjoyed it.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:55 AM   #44
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Fun listen (I went the audiobook route)! Between Brian Brushwood from the TWIT network raving about this book for weeks and seeing this thread, I had to check it out. I'm glad I did.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:06 AM   #45
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Just finished it last night. Enjoyed it but didn't love it. I felt it dragged in the middle. I appreciate it's probably what a lot of people liked about it but I felt there was one too many problem/crisis which got solved with some clever science/engineering that got explained in lots of technical detail. That was helped by the MC's sense of humour but there again I'd like to have seen more colours of emotion than that - he never seem to get down or despondent.

Tension ramped up toward the end though which was fun.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote