Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-23-2009, 02:54 AM   #1
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Windows 7 (64 bit) + Calibre 0.5.14 + crashing

Hey, I'm trying to run Calibre 0.5.14 on my new 64 bit windows 7 RTM install, however I can't even start using the GUI, let alone do any importing and conversions.

What happens is that the Calibre window appears, and immediately the following error pops up.

Code:
u'pubdate'
Detailed traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre\gui2\library.pyo", line 556, in headerData
KeyError: u'pubdate'
Pressing OK makes a new error box replace it (the same error) and I can't go any further. The only way to exit calibre is to end task via the task manager.

I installed 0.6.7 first to try it out (it worked fine) before uninstalling it and installing 0.5.14. I find I much prefer the LRF generation that 0.5.x produces. It seems more...reliable than that of the 0.6.x series (eg: font embedding actually works...).
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:20 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre 0.6.x series makes changes to the format of the metadata.db file that means it is no longer usable by the 0.5.x series of Calibre.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2009, 05:49 AM   #3
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Calibre 0.6.x series makes changes to the format of the metadata.db file that means it is no longer usable by the 0.5.x series of Calibre.
I made sure to delete the metadata.db file - infact, I removed my entire "library" (such as it was - only two books). It even does it after creating a brand new calibre library.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:45 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That error indicates you are running code from an 0.6.x release on a database from an 0.5.x release.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
sherman
Guru

???

Ok, so apart from uninstalling, what else do I need to do to completely remove all traces of 0.6.x?
Advert
Old 08-23-2009, 05:10 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Delete the installation folder.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:28 PM   #7
sherman
Guru

Right, so I unstalled Calibre 0.5.14, deleted my library, and then looked in Program Files (x86) for any signs of the calibre directory, there was none, so I renstalled. Same thing happened.

Uninstalled again, and this time did a search of C: drive for all calibre related files and directories. And Bingo! there's the problem. It seems that uninstalling calibre 0.6.x didn't remove the calibre files from Users\<user>\AppData\Local\temp .

Removed those, reinstalled 0.5.14 and it's all working fine.

Thank you for your help Kovid.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Uninstalled again, and this time did a search of C: drive for all calibre related files and directories. And Bingo! there's the problem. It seems that uninstalling calibre 0.6.x didn't remove the calibre files from Users\<user>\AppData\Local\temp .
In my case, it was also necessary to do a search for "calibre" in Regedit and then delete all relevant entry. Digging it out is takes indeed some works!

Finally I was able to reinstall calibre 5.5, which solved a bug I have with LRF output (the margins settings were ignored and replaced by a big margin).
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
jshoemaker
jshoemaker began at the beginning.

Device: Linux Netbook w/calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That error indicates you are running code from an 0.6.x release on a database from an 0.5.x release.
I never noticed a problem during any upgrade phase - somehow the metadata db must have been converted by an upgrade version? Losing the metadata db in a future upgrade is a large concern for me, as I have thousands of books in the collection, most with manually tagged metadata; a manual retagging would take weeks...
jshoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:31 PM   #10
sherman
Guru

The problem only occurs going from 0.5.x to 0.6.x then BACK to 0.5.x...

Needless to say, I bit the bullet and switched to epub, so I no longer need to run 0.5.x
Old 02-14-2010, 08:40 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
The problem only occurs going from 0.5.x to 0.6.x then BACK to 0.5.x...

Needless to say, I bit the bullet and switched to epub, so I no longer need to run 0.5.x
Yeah going forward then back is not supported (the database schema changes with time).