Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #541
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I'm thinking I'll set my challenge for 2014 at 70 books (it was 52 this year, and I have easily exceeded that, but then I didn't want to put pressure on myself to hurry my reading). Yet to decide on any more granular sub-challenges.
I've got a ready to go list of books that is exactly 70 long.

Some of them are not the easiest to come by.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #542
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I've got a ready to go list of books that is exactly 70 long.

Some of them are not the easiest to come by.
Do you have a link to the list?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #543
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Of course I do. 70 books, 18,100 pages. You can check it out on my GoodReads profile.

Around the World, otherwise known as my 2014 bookshelf.

I'm particularly excited about:
Zee Edgell - Beka Lamb
Sergio Ramirez - A Thousand Deaths Plus One
Daniel Alarcon - Lost City Radio
Jose Eduardo Agualusa - The Book of Chameleons
David Malouf - Remembering Babylon
Lihn Dihn - Blood and Soap
Kim Young-Ha - Your Republic is Calling You
Ryu Murakami - Audition
Hamid Ismailov - The Railway
Rafik Schami - Damascus Nights
Radu Florescu - In Search of Dracula
Georgi Gospodinov - Natural Novel
Arto Paasilinna - The Year of the Hare
Halldor Laxness - Under the Galcier
Old 12-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #544
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Thanks for posting your 2014 list. I already have four of the same books on my 2014 list and have read two others. I appreciate all your research and will certainly benefit from it.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #545
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Of course I do. 70 books, 18,100 pages. You can check it out on my GoodReads profile.

Around the World, otherwise known as my 2014 bookshelf.

I'm particularly excited about:
Zee Edgell - Beka Lamb
Sergio Ramirez - A Thousand Deaths Plus One
Daniel Alarcon - Lost City Radio
Jose Eduardo Agualusa - The Book of Chameleons
David Malouf - Remembering Babylon
Lihn Dihn - Blood and Soap
Kim Young-Ha - Your Republic is Calling You
Ryu Murakami - Audition
Hamid Ismailov - The Railway
Rafik Schami - Damascus Nights
Radu Florescu - In Search of Dracula
Georgi Gospodinov - Natural Novel
Arto Paasilinna - The Year of the Hare
Halldor Laxness - Under the Galcier
Thanks. I'll have a look at the full list as soon as I finish work. I don't know a single one of the authors/books in your "excited" list, apart from the Radu Florescu, which I read during my vampyre stage some years ago. Feeling particularly thick and uninformed now .
Advert
Old 12-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #546
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Well it's a really challenging list, and I tip my cap to you . But what about new books by your favourite authors that will be inevitably published next year? Are you going to postpone them, or slip them in amongst the world books you have listed?

Last edited by orlok; 12-13-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #547
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Well it's a really challenging list, and I tip my cap to you . But what about new books by your favourite authors that will be inevitably published next year? Are you going to postpone them, or slip them in amongst the world books you have listed?
I don't have any favourite authors that I read everything by. Reading different stuff is what excites me more now. It will probably be a Discworld-free year which might be a bit saddening.

I've been compiling the list since the beginning of October. Researching authors from different countries has been a totally eye-opening experience. I think 2014 will be my last big challenge year though and I'll scale back to putting together a reasonable challenge list in future years.

I think the Ryu Murakami novel would fit what you read very well.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #548
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
You don't want to be reading exactly one book a week, surely? You'd need a lot of similarly-long books.
Actually, not true. My Mom always picked up a new novel on Monday. If it was a short book, she was done on Monday. If it was a longer book, she'd keep reading and be done on Thursday or Friday. She was a fast reader, which was good because she didn't have time to read on the weekend. I did the same thing for a lot of years, but I DID read on the weekend.

These days though, with unabridged audiobooks, I just keep on listening.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #549
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I finished my goal of 100 books AND completing one series (trilogy +). Actually finished 2 series.

My challenge for 2014 isn't set in stone yet, but I'm thinking of pushing it to 110 plus completing 5 series (trilogy+). I have a lot of older, shorter books on my TBR list, so this should work out without a huge push. I've been plugging my way happily through several series, but they often keep publishing more books and then I get 'behind' again. I have one book plus novellas left in the Sookie Stackhouse series and then that is done since that series has been finished. Dresden files, 4 books left, plus the new one coming out. I started the 87th precinct series (Ed McBain) but there are another 50 books (all short compared to today's novels). Not to mention all those westerns.

Last edited by Tarana; 12-13-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #550
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

^Congratulations on finishing.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #551
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
I think the Ryu Murakami novel would fit what you read very well.
I'll have a look at it .
Old 12-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #552
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
I had 50 books as a goal for 2013, I have now read 100 books. I think no more than 5 are less than 350 pages. A lot twice that size and more.
I am very pleased with myself. I am thinking 100 books for 2014. We will see how I finish December

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #553
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
10 books and 16 days left. Anyone else taking it down to the wire?
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #554
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I'm not even close...but then again, I rarely am...

I'm very "Feast or Famine" with my entertainment. I spent more time in "TV" or "Music" mode than "Reading" or "Gaming" mode this year.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #555
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I've finished my sub-challenges, and am impossibly far from my main target. I've read plenty, I just failed to control my acquisitions sufficiently. I suspect the situation will be even worse by the end of the year. I haven't yet finished a single book in December, but I've bought a dozen or so.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote