Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Salon Futura, a new non-fiction ezine about SF

Cheryl Morgan, a long time SF fan, and winner of the Hugo Award for Best Fanwriter, has launched a new non-fiction ezine devoted to SF. It can be read online, or downloaded as an ePub file.

Go to http://www.salonfutura.net/

(I've met Cheryl. she's intelligent, highly knowledgeable, and very much worth reading.)
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 10-06-2010 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Changed Subject for clarity
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Uh....

...wouldn't non-fiction science fiction be an oxymoron?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Uh....

...wouldn't non-fiction science fiction be an oxymoron?
It would be, but a non-fiction magazine about science fiction is not. Many of those exist, with the granddaddy probably being Locus, the newsletter of the SF/Fantasy field.

Meanwhile, I changed the Subject line for clarity.
______
Dennis
Old 10-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Something new to check out!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Looks very intriguing, but I can't seem to download the epub. It sends me to a page of code, which is the proverbial "Greek to me."
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneD View Post
Looks very intriguing, but I can't seem to download the epub. It sends me to a page of code, which is the proverbial "Greek to me."
What are you trying to download with?

If nothing on your machine is registered as the program that can handle ePub files, you'll probably see something like that, as your machine won't know what to do with the download. Right-click on the ePub link and chose "Save link as", then navigate to where you want to store it.

You won't be able to read it on your Kindle - Kindle doesn't do ePub. If you have Calibre installed, you can convert the ePub file to a mobi file the Kindle can read. (I did that here so I could read it on my PDA, which has a mobi viewer but not an ePub reader.)
______
Dennis
Old 10-07-2010, 09:03 AM   #7
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Looks interesting, thanks for the link Dennis!
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #8
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
Looks interesting, thanks for the link Dennis!
I'm reading Issue 1 now, and I'm quite impressed. Cheryl has always been an intelligent and knowledgeable commentator on SF/Fantasy, and she's gotten equally good contributions from others.

Highly recommended.
______
Dennis
Old 10-08-2010, 12:02 PM   #9
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
What are you trying to download with?

If nothing on your machine is registered as the program that can handle ePub files, you'll probably see something like that, as your machine won't know what to do with the download. Right-click on the ePub link and chose "Save link as", then navigate to where you want to store it.

You won't be able to read it on your Kindle - Kindle doesn't do ePub. If you have Calibre installed, you can convert the ePub file to a mobi file the Kindle can read. (I did that here so I could read it on my PDA, which has a mobi viewer but not an ePub reader.)
______
Dennis
Thanks, Dennis, I'll try that - I do have Calibre and was planning to convert it there. Karma coming your way!
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:09 PM   #10
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneD View Post
Thanks, Dennis, I'll try that - I do have Calibre and was planning to convert it there. Karma coming your way!
Conversion here worked very well indeed. The ePub does contain links to online content that are useless on the PDA (it does do wifi, but not very well), but the rest of the content converted without a hitch.

A device handling Mobi files that does have a useful internet connection might be another story. I'll be curious to hear your experience on the Kindle.

Cheryl mentions having an iPhone/iPad app in development to better utilize the multimedia features, and that ought to be interesting as well.

I'm dropping Cheryl a note recommending a Mobi version specifically for the Kindle/Kindle app users.
______
Dennis