Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-22-2014, 04:28 AM   #46
xibalban
Connoisseur
xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Smile

Hey folks,

I'm back with a new development. The reason I had chosen Aura HD was, inter alia, due to its vivid display courtesy to its use of IR touchscreen on the device.

The other device which is following on its footsteps is the Boox i86 which sports a larger 8" display with the same IR touchscreen. People may argue that capacitive touchscreens used by tablets are good as well, but one must understand that tablets are based on back-lit LCD displays and hence the capacitive layer above its screen doesn't cause any issues. eReaders, on the other hand are front-lit devices and the capacitive coating will unquestionably affect the screen clarity.

The larger screen size of 8" compared to the Aura HD's 6.8" may further prove useful for my PDF viewing experience. It is also worthwhile to observe that the open android platform on the i86 may be considered a "plus".

Lastly, I also took notice of the Text-to-Speech support by the i86 which the Aura HD lacks. Although, it is strictly an accessory for me, since I wouldn't be using it much but the Ivona engine really blew be away. I had always considered TTS as that robotic voice which had no sense of intonation, but Ivona proved that I was terribly out-dated. However, its impact on battery backup is quite debatable.

To sum up, the i86 has caught my strict attention. Sadly, there isn't much we can discuss about an un-released and un-reviewed device.
xibalban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:54 PM   #47
xibalban
Connoisseur
xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Smile

Hello folks,

With the unveiling of the Kobo H2O, and its subsequent review by GoodeReader, the pavement to consider the Aura HD has been widened. The H2O doesn't seem to pack more hardware than the Aura HD (expect for waterproofing, which I do not require anyways). The improvements in software functionality may very well be made available to the Aura HD as well through a firmware update, someday.

So, I have safely leaped and grabbed the Kobo Aura HD at $149.99 from the Kobo US website. One of the coupons available in this forum helped me with an additional 10% discount, and I struck the iron while it was the hottest.

I wish to thank all the members who helped me make this difficult choice a lot easier. Buying a new device has always been a rescue of a raft in the storm for me, and I believe that I'm finally ashore.

With the device on its way to another proud owner's hands, it is time to move on to the Kobo Sub-forum here and to read about its optimisation tricks.
xibalban is offline   Reply With Quote