Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I had a low-end Nokia mobile phone go through not only a full wash cycle with detergent, but a few minutes of a dryer cycle as well! Opened it up, pulled the battery, and let everything dry out for a couple days, and it was if nothing had ever happened.

(Yes, there's a reason my kid doesn't have an iPhone yet...)
I thought of two more reasons for your kid not to have an iPhone...

Data plan and data overages
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #17
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I thought of two more reasons for your kid not to have an iPhone...

Data plan and data overages
It's a phone-phone. On a prepaid plan.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's a phone-phone. On a prepaid plan.
If there is no data plan, then a smartphone is not a good idea (IMHO).
Old 01-03-2013, 11:48 PM   #19
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
If there is no data plan, then a smartphone is not a good idea (IMHO).
My apologies, I missed the "i" on your comment.

And iPhones can be useful for so many other things, like educational software, but sure, everyone's got their own opinions about that sort of thing. Good thing we all get to make our own parental decisions, eh?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:17 AM   #20
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Good thing we all get to make our own parental decisions, eh?
I'm, aghast, I tell you, aghast!
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #21
Anjohl
Zealot
Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
An iphone (or any fragile smartphone for that matter) used as a "fashion phone" with no data is counterproductive.

Perhaps for those taking long train/bus rides it makes sense.
Anjohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If you buy an iPhone with no data plan, it's going to be very expensive as it won't be subsidized by any cell carrier so you'll have to pay full price. Not worth it (IMHO).
Old 01-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #23
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
Quote:
If you buy an iPhone with no data plan, it's going to be very expensive as it won't be subsidized by any cell carrier so you'll have to pay full price. Not worth it (IMHO).
this has gotten really off-topic from the ereader in the tub ...

which i hope is still steadily drying out ...

but to solve the question of iphone without data plan, since i live in more than one country and use an iphone without a data plan ... phone was obtained in the US, ran out of contract with AT&T, got unlocked for £15, now lives on a T-mobile £15/month paygo plan that offers £25 for calling and texting per month, 5p calls to anywhere in the world, and 500 mb of data per month free, plus 500 mb booster free per month. the paygo was cheaper than the monthly contract tariffs, and I've never managed to go over the limit. So that's how you get a subsidized phone and free data. I don't think the states has tariffs quite so flexible?

anyway, back to the ereader in the tub, maybe?

i hope it is doing well.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #24
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by everklear View Post
Sounds dirty, but it's only a description of what I accidentally did. Reader set down near tub. Knocked in while getting dressed for the day.

Currently the reader is on day two resting in a bag full of rice. Theory is that the dry grain absorbs the moisture. I'm afraid to pull it out and try it. I may wait another day or two.

I sense another reader purchase in my near future.
You will need to keep it inthe bag of instant rice for about 1 to 2 weeks. Do not add heat. That can cause other issues and damage. Do not pull it out till at least 1 week has passed. Better to wait 2 weeks. A person in Toronto found an iphone in the lake that had been there for over a month. They placed it in a tub of instant rice and a month later the phone powered on and they contacted the owner. As far as it goes the phone works. the trick is to allow enough time for the moisture to be sucked out and the device to be dried out.

Now in the future there are some waterproof electronic bags you can buy from otterbox tha will protect your device and give you full access to the touch screen.

Good luck

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #25
JohnTRN
Enthusiast
JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Having just dropped my Samsung Galaxy III in the fish pond and Googling this very subect, please check out this link Save a Wet Cell Phone Wiki.

You will find that it is not good to use any type of blower, as it may driver water further into the device.

I did not have access to a hard vacuum chamber, so I made a 'soft' vacuum using a plastic container and my vacuum cleaner.

I also had been saving desiccant packs out of anything they came in, dried them out, set my phone on top of rice and the dried out desiccant on top of of the disassembled phone.

Recovered all function of the phone except the cameras, which were roached. The front and rear cameras still work, but are blurry.

John

Last edited by JohnTRN; 01-07-2013 at 12:30 PM.
JohnTRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:31 AM   #26
everklear
Enthusiast
everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kobo
The rice-drying appears to have resulted in success! I left it in there for a couple of weeks. When I pulled it out it would not turn on. I plugged it into power and it fired up immediately, even showing about 2/3 battery. After that, there was some odd behaviour - basically it would not turn on from a powered-off state using the power button. I set it to only sleep, never power off, and it's been fine. The weird part was that the power button worked to take it in and out of sleep mode, and even power off, but not power on. Today, after charging it from a completely flat battery, I decided to try the power-on again, and now it works. Seems all is well.
everklear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #27
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Yay for electronics resurrection!
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #28
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
The rice-drying appears to have resulted in success! I left it in there for a couple of weeks. When I pulled it out it would not turn on. I plugged it into power and it fired up immediately, even showing about 2/3 battery. After that, there was some odd behaviour - basically it would not turn on from a powered-off state using the power button. I set it to only sleep, never power off, and it's been fine. The weird part was that the power button worked to take it in and out of sleep mode, and even power off, but not power on. Today, after charging it from a completely flat battery, I decided to try the power-on again, and now it works. Seems all is well.
My guess is there was still a small amout of moisture in the unit for the problems that resulted in bad behaviour of the kobo. That said I am glad your unit is functioning... I would recoomend getting a sleeve that you can place your unit if you are prone to reading in the tub and there are a lot of us who are. The advantage of the sleeve would be watertight and usefull when camping or hiking outdoors or at the beach to keep sand and moisture out.
Glad to hear your back up and reading.

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I do hope you shower after touching in the tub.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #30
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
That's awesome. I'm surprised there's no damage to the device, considering I got an ink stain under the screen of my Touch after a relatively minor spill.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote