Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
paddy77
paddy77 began at the beginning.

Device: prs 300
Reader freezing frequently

just got my reader for Christmas and finally managed to get the Sony software downloaded and working.

However over the course of today the reader has frozen a number of times for no apparent reason. The battery is showing full (and has been since I opened it first which I found a bit strange).

When I do the reset it takes a few minutes but eventually it sorts itself out but I've had to do that about 4 times already today which is very annoying.

I did put the reader on to charge with the ac adaptor. The light went off after about 10 mins which apparently means that the battery is fully charged ?

anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the problem? I bought it here in Ireland but I'm only home on holidays for another week so if it needs to brought back I need to do it soon.
paddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:43 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Are you attempting to read a particular book or is it freezing while navigating through the menu?
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
paddy77

it's happened while doing both and after it's been disconnected from the computer (I did it correctly, closed the library and then ejected the reader using the options on the icon but the reader was frozen)

For the books, it happened on one of the books that came with the reader and on a book that I bought with the Epub format.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
You need to fully charge your reader. 10 minutes just isn't enough. I would suggest leaving it plugged in overnight (or for several hours). I believe the documentation that comes with your reader (or perhaps it's the online User's guide) gives you a suggested charging time. I'm sorry but I can't remember how long that is exactly. It seems like many problems with your reader can be corrected with a really long charging time. Good luck.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
paddy77

But doesn't the light going off (when it's plugged into the ac adaptor) indicate that the battery is fully charged? and the fact that the battery icon is showing up as fully charged?

I will put it on to charge tonight in any case but I don't like the idea that the battery is low but there is nothing to indicate that.
Advert
Old 12-26-2009, 06:12 PM   #6
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't say why your reader light went off so quickly but I do know that the Guide says to charge for 4 hours (or less, I know but better to be safe than sorry). If the long charge does work and you no longer experience the freezing, it is most likely associated with the newness of your device. I would say that if you do the long charge and it still has problems that you've got a defective reader and will need to return it.

In the past, with some of the older models, people have experienced freezing problems that have been corrected by thoroughly charging the unit. It doesn't seem logically, I had the same thing happen with my 700 and it indicated that my battery was only 1/2 way discharged. A long charge overnight corrected the problem.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:44 AM   #7
paddy77

Thanks for that! I left it to charge all night and I managed to read for about 30 mins, and then turned it off for a few minutes. When I turned it back on again I got 2 page turns and it froze.
So it's back to the shop today for a replacement or a refund.

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-27-2009, 07:26 AM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
From what you say, Paddy, it does sound like a faulty unit. Of all the problems that I've had myself and seen crop up here, a thorough mains charge does the trick much more often than not. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:33 PM   #9
paddy77

Thanks for all the replies.

I brought it back to the shop and got a replacement with no argument. I notice a massive difference with the new unit (even apart from the fact that it doesn't freeze!) so the old one was obviously in a bad way.

Looking forward to many happy hours of reading!!

Old 12-27-2009, 07:54 PM   #10
kazbates
Wizard

Congratulations! I'm sorry our advice didn't help but at least they returned it with no hassles. Now you can go to our ebook section and start downloading new ebooks for your reader. Have fun!!
Old 12-28-2009, 02:09 AM   #11
MrKyle
Writer
MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Glad you were able to get a replacement, sorry you had to go through all of that though. Thanks for those tips on battery treatment though guys.
MrKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:09 AM   #12
kiddosk
kiddosk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy77 View Post
just got my reader for Christmas and finally managed to get the Sony software downloaded and working.

However over the course of today the reader has frozen a number of times for no apparent reason. The battery is showing full (and has been since I opened it first which I found a bit strange).

When I do the reset it takes a few minutes but eventually it sorts itself out but I've had to do that about 4 times already today which is very annoying.

I did put the reader on to charge with the ac adaptor. The light went off after about 10 mins which apparently means that the battery is fully charged ?

anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the problem? I bought it here in Ireland but I'm only home on holidays for another week so if it needs to brought back I need to do it soon.
I had this problem also. I found it happened when I tried to navigate using the numbered buttons on the side of the screen. I had already charged it fully (over night). It happened trying to read the pre-loaded book excerpts. I let it sit for a few hours and it was still frozen. I finally got frustrated and started pushing buttons and it finally unfroze. Since then I only use the buttons on the bottom. I am seriously considering exchanging it. Unfortunately my kids in MN bought it for me and sent it to me in PA. I am assuming it was purchased at Best Buy as my daughter is a manager there. Hopefully they would just exchange it for me.
kiddosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:36 AM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddosk View Post
I had this problem also. I found it happened when I tried to navigate using the numbered buttons on the side of the screen. I had already charged it fully (over night). It happened trying to read the pre-loaded book excerpts. I let it sit for a few hours and it was still frozen. I finally got frustrated and started pushing buttons and it finally unfroze. Since then I only use the buttons on the bottom. I am seriously considering exchanging it. Unfortunately my kids in MN bought it for me and sent it to me in PA. I am assuming it was purchased at Best Buy as my daughter is a manager there. Hopefully they would just exchange it for me.
I would think so. I would do that if you can.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:03 PM   #14
SherryZoned
SherryZoned began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PSR300
I got mine and it would freeze up when I turned a page randomly. Then i could use the power button and ereader powered back on. However, I lost my page every time. So then I tried charging it overnight. Still did the same thing. Then I even flashed it haha praying for the best! Still kept freezing up randomly. Very annoying. So then i just took it back and did an exchange. Got the new one. Put it on charge for hours and knock on wood I am almost done with a book and has not froze up once.

So I say just exchange it! If you have not already. Apparently they just have some faulty units.
SherryZoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #15
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Mine was freezing during sync but I made a collection of the pre-installed books and as soon as I moved them from my reader to my computer and did NOT sync those, all seems to be just fine. Coincidence? I don't know for sure but I am happier that I can sync it without any freezing issues now.

So far anyways.....

I'm glad you got yours all worked out and they were able to exchange it for you.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote