Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-18-2009, 01:13 PM   #16
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Ooh ironic.

Because there's currently a consultation about extending the PLR to non-print books.

"1. Extend eligibility for Public Lending Right (PLR) to non-print books, in particular audiobooks and e-books;"

Anyway;

"How much would you be willing to pay just to read a book as opposed to own it? "

About 20p. Less if the format is inflexible for screen size.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Look at my earlier post. While creators of works in public libraries do get money in Denmark, it is not, and have never been intended as, a reimbursement. I was wondering if this might not be the case in other places as well.

Edit, added: It's a way of giving government support, like grants.
Apologies; I had missed your earlier post.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2009, 01:24 PM   #18
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
If you want to be that nitpicky, many libraries aren't city run, but often at a county level. I was meaning free as in, no payment needed to check out a book.
Sorry but I didn't think I was being nitpicky. If I'm paying for a service I'm paying for a service regardless of where the fund are coming from.
For instance an neighboring city from mine does not pay a direct garbage bill they pay for it through their city taxes. My city however does not, so I pay a direct bill. Would you state their garage collection is free?

Also where I live there is a county library and a city library, one is ran by the city the other by the county. Out of curiosity does your state only have county libraries?

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 08-18-2009 at 03:11 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:27 PM   #19
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
$5 is about the max I'll spend. Anything under that, I'll be happy with.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #20
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieperry View Post
You can’t lend it to friends, you can’t sell it
Are you sure about that? The publishers/retailers certainly want you to believe that you are not allowed to do those things, and make it very difficult to accomplish them with DRM, but I'm not sure what would happen legally. There's no actual law that I know of which is preventing you from lending or selling an eBook, at least in the US.

Quote:
And yet you can read a library book for free but if you want to read the ebook you have to pay almost as much as, if not more than, you would for the physical book.
Yeah, no doubt many current pricing models are ridiculous.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2009, 08:35 PM   #21
charlieperry
Connoisseur
charlieperry doesn't littercharlieperry doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post

"How much would you be willing to pay just to read a book as opposed to own it? "

About 20p. Less if the format is inflexible for screen size.
Wow, that's not a lot.

I paid AU$12 to watch District 9 last night. I also just finished reading Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield. Reading the book was free because a friend lent it to me and yet I reckon I enjoyed the book as much as if not more than I enjoyed watching District 9. I reckon Steven Pressfield should have earned at least a $1 out of me.
charlieperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:50 PM   #22
charlieperry
Connoisseur
charlieperry doesn't littercharlieperry doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
From Fictionwise Terms and Conditions

Quote:
Important Notice: eBooks cannot be printed, copied, or "loaned" to others due to copyright laws.
charlieperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:03 AM   #23
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Apologies; I had missed your earlier post.
No problem I just didn't want it to be automatically assumed that "library money" is necessarily a direct reimbursement for lost sales. I've edited the wikipedia page a bit now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Lending_Right
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:29 PM   #24
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
From Fictionwise Terms and Conditions
Quote:
Important Notice: eBooks cannot be printed, copied, or "loaned" to others due to copyright laws.
Actually, there is nothing in copyright law that says you can't loan it to others and there are many ways that printing and copying may be permitted under fair use. Also, as has been discussed on here multiple times, terms and conditions are not the same thing as laws. There are many conditions that companies state in their terms which are not enforceable.

Just because Fictionwise claims you can't sell/loan them, doesn't mean it's true. That's what I meant with my previous post. The retailers want you to think you can't, and put conditions in their terms stating that. But that is still a long way from being legally enforceable. I don't believe there is an actual law that makes the selling/lending of an eBook illegal.

To put it bluntly, the retailer is lying.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:34 PM   #25
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If lending ebooks was illegal, then you wouldn't be able to get ebooks from the library. The same terms libraries fall under, apply to people too.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If lending ebooks was illegal, then you wouldn't be able to get ebooks from the library. The same terms libraries fall under, apply to people too.
Not entirely the same thing. The point about library e-books is that:

1. The buy a licence to lend "x" copies, and their software ensures that no more than "x" copies are in use at any one time.

2. The books auto-expire after a certain time.

I think that most people would accept that this is a reasonable and acceptable use of DRM.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:45 PM   #27
Hellmark
Wizard

the important thing isn't the auto expiration, but rather the limited number of copies at any given time.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:47 PM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The two are linked. Auto-expiry is the easiest way to enforce the "only x copies at a time" licence requirement.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:50 PM   #29
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Wow, that's not a lot.

I paid AU$12 to watch District 9 last night. I also just finished reading Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield. Reading the book was free because a friend lent it to me and yet I reckon I enjoyed the book as much as if not more than I enjoyed watching District 9. I reckon Steven Pressfield should have earned at least a $1 out of me.
No, but "only read" has a bunch of connotations for me, and each and every one reduces the value of the book. I'd also note I typically read books I buy twice, at the very least, and typically on at least two different screen sizes - only one of my PC's has net access*, and so on.

(*A deliberate secure measure, which I won't bypass)
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:51 PM   #30
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
the important thing isn't the auto expiration, but rather the limited number of copies at any given time.
Also, there's a difference between public lending (library) and private lending (loaning it to your friend).

Tags
ebooks, libraries, public lending right