Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 03-27-2014, 06:37 PM   #1
Cinderela
Enthusiast
Cinderela began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Brand New KF HD refuses to sync

Anyone else have this problem? This is my 3rd kindle - I have a KB 3G, a 1st Gen Fire and now this new Fire HD.

I use Calibre & CC to manage my entire 2,000 book collection. I did have a problem with Calibre not "seeing" my HD, but read through the threads here and I discovered I have to "send to device", not "save in single directory" as I had been doing. (Although I do wish the "fix asin" option worked on the KF HD)

When my standard mobi didn't work, I went to the native AZ file, deleted the book off both and re-copied it on to both the KB & the KF HD. No matter what combo I tried, I couldn't get the two to sync.

Now, the KB & the 1st gen still synch perfectly to each other, regardless of the source of the file. (My Calibre library was all converted to mobi). In fact, I believe the KB has the AZW (AZ3? - amazon's native format) on it now and it synchs with my 1st gen that has mobi format on it. And it's not an Amazon sourced book.

Nothing visible happens on the HD when syncing, either through the individual book or the "synch all" option from the settings menu. It won't sync either way, either from or to.

Of course, 3 chats with Amazon hasn't solved the problem yet.

I didn't know if this should be a Fire question or a Calibre question. I chose Fire, because Calibre is flawless on my other two kindles, so it seems the HD is the problem. (I have a next gen paperwhite on order and really am desperate to get this solved before it comes in May!)

I would be extremely grateful if anyone has any suggestions or solutions.

Last edited by Cinderela; 03-27-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Cinderela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderela View Post
I use Calibre & CC to manage my entire 2,000 book collection. I did have a problem with Calibre not "seeing" my HD, but read through the threads here and I discovered I have to "send to device", not "save in single directory" as I had been doing. (Although I do wish the "fix asin" option worked on the KF HD)
Can't help with your sync problem, but 'fix asin' *does* work with the HD. I was having problems getting books to show up in 'Books' instead of 'Docs' and thanks to a pointer in my 'So Confused' thread I was pointed at the 'fix asin' option in the Quality Check plugin and it fixed all my problems.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2014, 07:32 PM   #3
Cinderela
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Can't help with your sync problem, but 'fix asin' *does* work with the HD. I was having problems getting books to show up in 'Books' instead of 'Docs' and thanks to a pointer in my 'So Confused' thread I was pointed at the 'fix asin' option in the Quality Check plugin and it fixed all my problems.
I always used to "save to disk in single directory" (I can't remember why - I've had Calibre a long, long time.), but that doesn't work with my new HD, I get an "invalid folder" error message. So, I came here & saw that I had to "send to device" instead of "save to". That works fine.

I can't get the "fix asin" to work. Calibre "sees" the kindle and all the folders, but I get the same "invalid folder" message when I try to run the "fix asin" option.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:50 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderela View Post
I can't get the "fix asin" to work. Calibre "sees" the kindle and all the folders, but I get the same "invalid folder" message when I try to run the "fix asin" option.
Haven't tried fixing books *on* the kindle. Books *in* the calibre library do get fixed.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:56 PM   #5
Cinderela
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Haven't tried fixing books *on* the kindle. Books *in* the calibre library do get fixed.
And I've spent so much time chatting with Amazon CSRs I've lost IQ points.

I meant I get the same error message when I run "clean up opf files". Fix asin saved my sanity, because I was having the same book/doc problem you had.

Advert
Old 03-29-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
Cinderela
Enthusiast

UPDATE - I'M DESPERATE NOW

I apologize, I don't mean to be spamming with back to back posts. This is an update to my original problem.

I spoke at length with Kindle "Special Support". Their diagnosis was that the KF HD was defective straight out of the box. Replacement arrived today.

Exact same behavior as the "defective" device. The new HD will not sync to or from my other Kindles. And the other Kindles sync perfectly with each other, including files that were not purchased from or stored by Amazon. My library is over 2,000 books, so I thank God every day for Calibre!

However, Calibre still refuses to allow me to save to the HD and will not allow "fix opf" to run. Each draw a "invalid folder" error.

I do love the improvements in the HD version versus my 1st gen Fire. Of course, it's faster, has larger storage, etc. My 1st gen still works perfectly, except it is starting to show the "not charging" behavior common to the 1st gen models. This happened when I first got the 1st gen, but it was still under warranty and it took Amazon 3 replacements to give me one that didn't have that problem. It's now almost 3 years old - so when it started that "not charging" thing again, I just decided to replace it with the new model.

This non-sync problem is a deal breaker. The only time I could get the HD to sync is a book from and stored by Amazon. I bounce from Kindle to Kindle every day and MUST have last page sync.

I'm also concerned about the PW I have on order to replace my old KB 3G (I read at night a lot). If this syncing issue continues, I'll return the HD, limp along with my old 1st gen. If the PW refuses to sync also, I'll return it.

Obviously, I'd prefer not to return the new items. I've tried everything Amazon suggested and everything I could find here..............I'm desperate! Can anyone help?
Old 03-29-2014, 03:06 PM   #7
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Your 1st gen Fire can sync via USB, but the HD uses MTP. I think that is your problem.

MTP isn't supported on Windows XP by the way (If you're using it).
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:14 PM   #8
Cinderela
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Your 1st gen Fire can sync via USB, but the HD uses MTP. I think that is your problem.

MTP isn't supported on Windows XP by the way (If you're using it).
Thank you so much for your speedy suggestion!

I must admit I do not know what MTP is. (A transfer Protocol of some kind?)

I copy my books from Calibre to the 1st gen & KB via USB. (I just purchased CC & cant wait learn to manage my library wirelessly!) Once on the kindles, they sync via "sync to last page read" exactly as if the books had been downloaded directly from Amazon.

I'm running Windows 7 on my PC.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:56 PM   #9
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Alright.

Yeah, it's something they brought starting with Android 4.0 (Media Transfer Protocol). I don't sync using Calibre myself, and can't really help you any further, but I'm certain it's because you need to make some adjustments to make it work, and your computer/setup is fine otherwise.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:00 AM   #10
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Are you trying to get the books to SYNC from Kindle to Kindle? IF yes then go to your account & make sure you turn SYNC on.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:29 AM   #11
Cinderela
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Are you trying to get the books to SYNC from Kindle to Kindle? IF yes then go to your account & make sure you turn SYNC on.
: Thanks, it's definitely set to on. 2 out of the 3 with each other perfectly.

I've been starting to wonder if there is something hinky about the file formats involved and the way the do or don't interact with each other / Caliber / Amazon. No clue what it might be, though.

And keep those suggestions coming!
Old 03-30-2014, 04:27 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What happens if you download a book from Amazon, rather than loading it via Calibre? Does it sync then?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:45 PM   #13
Cinderela
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What happens if you download a book from Amazon, rather than loading it via Calibre? Does it sync then?
A book I purchased from Amazon then used the "deliver to...." seems to sync on all three devices.

I hope that doesn't mean I can't use Calibre. That would also be a deal breaker. I have over 2,000 books in my Calibre library! Does anyone know what Amazon did to cause this? Or do my Calibre settings need to be changed?
Old 03-31-2014, 02:53 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If a book downloaded from Amazon syncs, then clearly there's nothing wrong with your Kindle. Why would you expect it to work with sideloaded books?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:51 AM   #15
Cinderela
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If a book downloaded from Amazon syncs, then clearly there's nothing wrong with your Kindle. Why would you expect it to work with sideloaded books?
Because the book source has never been an issue with the 2 I already own. Sideloaded books have always synced between my KB & 1st gen. I expected the new HD to work in the same way the other two work.